Did anyone else get the letter yet from VZW explaining how they are going to discontinue Verizon Wireless SMTP Mail Relay on August 29th?

What does this mean for us who use our personal email on our blackberry? Does it mean we no longer can do this?

What are our options if this is the case.

I am not tech savvy, so I am not sure what this means for us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 05:31 PM
    One more thing.

If I put my own internet SMTP then my email will still come to my phone?

I know when I had my air card I used a setup that VZW gave me, is that what this letter is talking about?

07-31-09 06:57 PM
    If you have a blackberry on a BIS or BES data plan you are safe. Disabling SMTP means the mobile email functionality that you generally see on dumbphones with the mobile internet plan will need to find another email option.
    07-31-09 07:08 PM
    Okay, thanks. I did use a dumb phone for about a month and a half when my wife convinced me the BB was no longer part of the family budget. Thank god that is no longer the case.

Thanks again.

07-31-09 07:19 PM
    This is actually going to affect more of the data card market. Customers use the outgoing smtp mail server in a pop3 setup because some email service providers require you to be connected to their internet to send email. So if you try sending with a cable provider that doesn't recognize the vzw data card ip, then the connection is denied. This is where Verizon and others (Alltel) offered smtp servers for this use.

So unless you use the smtp server you won't be affected. Work around is getting a gmail account and use that smtp server.

07-31-09 07:42 PM
    I kinda feel bad about them pulling the plug on this, but at the same time, it's been *months* since I've gotten a call on it. Not to mention most of the big email services have webmail solutions.
    07-31-09 08:29 PM
    will my blackberry email and my yahoo email still work?
    07-31-09 08:42 PM
    All BB devices will still work. If you have a problem with your data card you will have call your ISP and yell at them or access your mail though webmail. There are very few ISP's that do not have webmail anymore.
    07-31-09 09:10 PM
    I did. I had Verizon wireless smtp too but I heard early that they are going to shut their service down so I switched to smtp.com and it works great.

Did anyone else get the letter yet from VZW explaining how they are going to discontinue Verizon Wireless SMTP Mail Relay on August 29th?

What does this mean for us who use our personal email on our blackberry? Does it mean we no longer can do this?

What are our options if this is the case.

I am not tech savvy, so I am not sure what this means for us.

08-24-09 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD