Quick question... Can a BlackBerry Bold 9930 on a VZW Prepaid account be activated to use for global roaming? Because I'm going to be traveling in december, so I just called customer service to activate my SIM card, and contrary to what I was told at the store, prepaid phones apparently can't be used outside the US. However, based on my previous experience with customer "support" with different companies and carriers (nobody knows what the f*** they're talking about ), I just wanted to double check.

Thanks
    10-29-11 02:52 PM
    If you are using Verizon for international service on prepaid than that would be correct. If you were just trying to unlock your SIM to use overseas on the international BB prepaid that country has then you can just get a free unlock code off of this site from one of the sites in the unlocking forum and be good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(4140245) likes this.
    10-29-11 07:09 PM
    Oh, I forgot, your PIN will be tied to US CDMA service so don't expect to get BIS without going back and forth with Verizon to get it released. You can probably get by with data and not BIS and have limited usage.

10-29-11 07:11 PM
    Oh, I forgot, your PIN will be tied to US CDMA service so don't expect to get BIS without going back and forth with Verizon to get it released. You can probably get by with data and not BIS and have limited usage.

What do you mean? If I unlock my phone, and I put my SIM from a European carrier (on a contract with BIS) in my phone, will BBM and Email not work? my PIN was never tied to any of my GSM carriers in europe...

worst case scenario i'll have to restore everything onto my 9700 and put my SIM in there for two weeks...

CDMA has great service, but simplicity-wise, it's the worst pain in the a** I've ever had with phones...

And speaking of unlocking my phone, if i call Verizon after being with them for 60 days, will they give me an unlock code considering that i'm on prepaid service?
    Last edited by bobbydudeman; 10-30-11 at 07:35 PM.
    10-30-11 07:29 PM
    You have to be on a post paid account for at least 90 days.

10-30-11 07:57 PM
    What do you mean? If I unlock my phone, and I put my SIM from a European carrier (on a contract with BIS) in my phone, will BBM and Email not work? my PIN was never tied to any of my GSM carriers in europe...
    I may be wrong, but I believe this is how it works:

You have your Blackberry's IMEI/ESN tied to your Verizon account. If you head back to Europe and place an O2 SIM card in the phone, when it attempts to connect to BIS, it's going to go, "wait a minute, this IMEI is already on here with a different number..." and it won't allow it to connect.

CDMA has great service, but simplicity-wise, it's the worst pain in the a** I've ever had with phones...
    I appreciated having the freedom to buy a new phone from anywhere in the world, place me SIM card and just like that be up and running. In my years with my former GSM carrier, I would guess that more than half my time I was on a phone that I got from Germany or the UK, because it suited my needs at the time (needed a 3G Blackberry in 2007, wanted the original Bold, etc.). But in the end, I was willing to sacrifice that freedom for a plan and coverage that better suited my needs.
    11-02-11 12:06 AM
    I may be wrong, but I believe this is how it works:

You have your Blackberry's IMEI/ESN tied to your Verizon account. If you head back to Europe and place an O2 SIM card in the phone, when it attempts to connect to BIS, it's going to go, "wait a minute, this IMEI is already on here with a different number..." and it won't allow it to connect.
    How does this affect my ability to use BIS on a GSM carrier in europe? GSM carriers don't use ESN
    11-04-11 11:42 PM
    Because the ESN isn't tied to BIS but your Blackberry PIN is.

11-05-11 07:34 AM
    Because the ESN isn't tied to BIS but your Blackberry PIN is.

So how do I untie it?

11-05-11 09:40 AM
    Call Verizon and see if they will sing and dance with you. You may try talking to someone in tech support who is competent. I would just say you need your PIN freed and if they don't know what you mean then tell them they need to transfer you to a higher level tech support. I hate it when I push the option calling *611 and I get someone in CS despite pushing 3.

11-05-11 03:31 PM
    Verizon have really awful tech support... i spent 60 minutes of my life talking to them today. that's 1/24 of my day. considering a move to ATT
    11-07-11 08:10 PM
    Verizon have really awful tech support... i spent 60 minutes of my life talking to them today. that's 1/24 of my day. considering a move to ATT
    And considering you've spent so much time here, I'm sure your time is valuable.

11-08-11 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD