I was wondering if I got a world edition blackberry such as a storm or niagara(when it comes out) would I be able to take the sim card out and put it in a unlocked gsm phone amd still use it in america?
    04-29-09 06:12 PM
    There's no such thing really as a Verizon SIM card. Even on the World Edition phones, they are still only active on CDMA which is the frequency that VZW uses.

Unlocking the actual World Edition phone would grant you to putting a SIM card from another carrier and using that W.E. phone.
    04-29-09 06:15 PM
    Said a different way ....... the GSM frequency used by the Verizon WE phone is not a frequency that is available in the US, so an unlocked version with another carrier's SIM card would not still provide for its use in the US. You could use it on that carrier's GSM system outside of the US however.

They can be used on the CDMA system in the US, or on a GSM system outside of the US where that GSM frequency is available.
    04-29-09 06:26 PM
    Said a different way ....... the GSM frequency used by the Verizon WE phone is not a frequency that is available in the US, so an unlocked version with another carrier's SIM card would not still provide for its use in the US. You could use it on that carrier's GSM system outside of the US however.

They can be used on the CDMA system in the US, or on a GSM system outside of the US where that GSM frequency is available.
    This is true but there are people on here who use unlocked Storm's on ATT with no problem.
    04-29-09 06:38 PM

The above is true for the 8830 WE--it's got a dual-band GSM radio. As forever29 mentioned, the Storm is a different story since it's a quad-band GSM model.
    04-29-09 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD