08-03-09 08:10 PM
65 123
tools
    When you say verizon around people assume it is wireless and that would be the only reason to post it here. We don't see people post about GM layoffs. I am saying that you should post that it is VZ communications because they are 2 different companies and it is not responsible to intentionally misrepresent which company is laying people off especially when you supposedly work for one of the companies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok all of you who keep saying VZ COMM and VZ Wireless are 2 seperate companies could not be more wrong. They are the SAME company! Verizon Communications consists of several busines units, one being VZ Wireless which 45 percent is owned by Vodofone, and the other units being VZ Telecom (fixed lines and Fios), and of course VZ BUsiness. All are tracked under the SAME stock VZ. Now, when VZ Comm announces a layoff, which they did recently, that means any one or all of the UNITS can be impacted. However for this announcement Verizon's wireless business may have been exempt due to there profitability. Hopefully this clears up some of the misrepresentations about Verizon and its business units.
    07-31-09 05:04 PM
    Ok all of you who keep saying VZ COMM and VZ Wireless are 2 seperate companies could not be more wrong. They are the SAME company! Verizon Communications consists of several busines units, one being VZ Wireless which 45 percent is owned by Vodofone, and the other units being VZ Telecom (fixed lines and Fios), and of course VZ BUsiness. All are tracked under the SAME stock VZ. Now, when VZ Comm announces a layoff, which they did recently, that means any one or all of the UNITS can be impacted. However for this announcement Verizon's wireless business may have been exempt due to there profitability. Hopefully this clears up some of the misrepresentations about Verizon and its business units.
    Nope - you're incorrect there. It is a completely separate company owned by a partnership.

While VZComm can include revenue/losses from their investments, they do not include activities of those investments.

VZW is autonomous and their employment statistics/performances are not included with VZ.

07-31-09 06:39 PM
    Dude, are you posting from work? You should really check the forums from your phone man. Opera Mini FTW. Not that they will trip about it, but still. I've gleaned some info from the forums every now and then but just to hang out and chat? Tsk Tsk.

Be careful.
    Actually, as others have said, they're more likely to get on your case for playing around on your phone, even if you're using it for troubleshooting purposes.

Crackberry is one of the few sites we're allowed to visit from work. As long as people aren't making idiots of themselves, ignoring calls, or posting confidential information, I doubt people would get in trouble for posting here. In fact, last I checked with a few higher ups, it's actually encouraged.

Granted, policies may be different from call center to call center, but I think it's safe to say if they want us to consult this site for troubleshooting, they're not going to fire people for posting an occasional tidbit of help.

Anywho, as for any "layoffs", I had to explain that one to my mom the other day. Meanwhile, all the local movie theaters have "VZW IS HIRING!" in ads before the trailers. The media needs to get a life.

Any time I've *ever* heard of VZW layoffs, they've always been for jobs that no longer existed. A far cry from most "layoff" situations, the people are allowed and encouraged to apply for other jobs in the company. Most companies will ban you from the premisis, make you sign a promise never to apply with them again, and slap you with a restraining order if you're laid off. Usually the numbers in these cases are tiny.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 07-31-09 at 10:20 PM.
    07-31-09 10:17 PM
    Yeah Verizon lays off "new jobs" meaning they just stop hiring.
    07-31-09 10:42 PM
    Yeah Verizon lays off "new jobs" meaning they just stop hiring.
    Not exactly.

For example, (If I remember right) when Circuit City went under, the company had tons of store reps they didn't know what to do with. So they sent 'em home. They could go for other jobs, but they couldn't keep 'em as store reps.

Stuff like that.

The difference is this: VZW doesn't tend to drop massive amounts of employees to get quick cash on hand for stockholders. It's one of the advantages of being split between Verizon Communications and Vodafone. The two keep each other in check, and we don't have stockholders harassing us, so instead of dissappearing into black holes, the money goes back into stuff the company needs. Like towers, infrastructure, and workforce.
    07-31-09 11:42 PM
    Not exactly.

For example, (If I remember right) when Circuit City went under, the company had tons of store reps they didn't know what to do with. So they sent 'em home. They could go for other jobs, but they couldn't keep 'em as store reps.

Stuff like that.

The difference is this: VZW doesn't tend to drop massive amounts of employees to get quick cash on hand for stockholders. It's one of the advantages of being split between Verizon Communications and Vodafone. The two keep each other in check, and we don't have stockholders harassing us, so instead of dissappearing into black holes, the money goes back into stuff the company needs. Like towers, infrastructure, and workforce.
    Ciruit City maybe the one exception at this point. This was also caused by various outside variables. As Bum said, VZW watches thing pretty closely and just stops hiring when needed.
    08-01-09 07:47 AM
    you guys need any people in the Philly area?

08-01-09 07:53 AM
    Hey PK - A dozen philly cheese steaks sandwiches - I might make a few calls

Best place to check is at JOBS?
    08-01-09 07:59 AM
    Nope - you're incorrect there. It is a completely separate company owned by a partnership.

While VZComm can include revenue/losses from their investments, they do not include activities of those investments.

VZW is autonomous and their employment statistics/performances are not included with VZ.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you. This is a tall topic to try and discuss and I believe you know that there just isn't a simple straight answer when it comes to VZ COMM. I do appreciate the insight.
    08-03-09 02:54 PM
    I will have to respectfully disagree with you. This is a tall topic to try and discuss and I believe you know that there just isn't a simple straight answer when it comes to VZ COMM. I do appreciate the insight.
    In other words you accept that his answer is correct...
    08-03-09 02:57 PM
    It may not be a simple straight answer, but I do own VZComm stock. For the purpose of this discussion I pulled the annual report from my files. There is a disclaimer in it that advises it does not include performance or reporting data of subsidiaries and it specifically names 4G, Cellco and Verizon Wireless as subsidiaries not covered in VZComm reporting.

The annual report for AT&T does not include any such disclaimer, as AT&T Mobility is a wholly owned subsidiary.

08-03-09 03:21 PM
    It may not be a simple straight answer, but I do own VZComm stock. For the purpose of this discussion I pulled the annual report from my files. There is a disclaimer in it that advises it does not include performance or reporting data of subsidiaries and it specifically names 4G, Cellco and Verizon Wireless as subsidiaries not covered in VZComm reporting.

The annual report for AT&T does not include any such disclaimer, as AT&T Mobility is a wholly owned subsidiary.

It's as simple as that. I think that he understands whats going on but can't get past the fact that he is incorrect.
    08-03-09 03:24 PM
    It's as simple as that. I think that he understands whats going on but can't get past the fact that he is incorrect.
    Maybe, but stocks and reporting is not always clear cut and dried, which is why I included the att reference too since I own their stock too. All in all, two stocks I didn't take it in the shorts with.

08-03-09 04:59 PM
    Maybe, but stocks and reporting is not always clear cut and dried, which is why I included the att reference too since I own their stock too. All in all, two stocks I didn't take it in the shorts with.

so when i read this i wanted to find you a pix from "you're the man now, dog"...cus, well...you're the man now, and your screen name says "dog" i figured it would be funny. anyway, i got sidetracked, couldn't find what i wanted, but i found this...idk if it's mobile friendly...but i lol'd, and you should too

YTMND - Breakup Letter, Dramatic reading
    08-03-09 05:16 PM
    As I stated before I appreciate insight by all on any topic even when their views differ from mine. DesertDogs post for example, is what makes engaging in forums enjoyable and at times educational.

(off topic)
    Conversely, someone like yourself who adds no substance to a topic and just surfs to add there .02....well you see where this is headed...(Rant over)

My apologies in advance to the rest of the forum for that litte outburst...
    08-03-09 08:10 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD