CNBC reports that the touchscreen + full QWERTY device will be out later this year on Verizon. Anyone else hear any other info.

RIM Gets Ready to Rumble, Readies Blockbuster Blackberry - Tech Check with Jim Goldman - CNBC.com

(I also have this posted in the News & Rumors thread but thought the VZW world would be interested. I am not a frequent poster, but if one of the MODS wants to move or delete one of them, that is OK. Just want to play by the rules.)
    Last edited by tophand576; 04-02-09 at 02:47 PM.
    04-02-09 01:33 PM
    that sounds awesome!!
    04-02-09 01:53 PM
    CNBC reports that the touchscreen + full QWERTY device will be out later this year on Verizon. Anyone else hear any other info.

RIM Gets Ready to Rumble, Readies Blockbuster Blackberry - Tech Check with Jim Goldman - CNBC.com
    One of many similar reports - and it fits as the inside speculation is that the Storm is an unfixable flop; a lemon, if you will, and is already being processed out as an end-of-life product.

I've played with the Storm - coming from me, an Apple hater & full-blown BlackBerry fan - it is a piece of utter crap, not worth the $50 deductible Asurion charges to replace one. It is no iPhone and isn't worthy of a spot in the iPhone shadow. That said, I wouldn't walk across the street for a free year of iPhone service. But the Storm is that bad, no matter what the fansites, the kiddies or VZW says.

RIM needs something and they need it fast. They promised VZW a good exclusive, then delivered the Storm. That would be like me ordering a $100 steak dinner in North Scottsdale & being served a Swanson Salisbury Steak TV dinner. I know some look forward to their microwave meal, but I don't. I certainly would be stupid enough to pay $100 for one. The same thing can be said for paying $100-$200 on a Storm and getting a lump of bugs.

Anyone notice how quickly discounted Storms have come around? The LG Voyager stayed at its original price for a whole lot longer.

I have heard that the new BlackBerry will be able to roam onto GSM and LTE, but cannot be activated on a carrier other than VZW.

So all of you GSM junkies (GSM is junk, after all) can start crying now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 02:38 PM
    No need to double post!!!!
    04-02-09 04:30 PM
    When I saw boygenius' report on the Niagra review/preview thingy, it had some really good comparison pictures of the Niagra and the Bold and the Curve, and someone pointed out how the screen of the Niagra looked like a touchscreen. The edges of the screen resemble the Storm alot, and the menu options ( even on Kevin's preview ), look like the menu options of the Storm, where you can click on the menu options with your finger... While I was looking for the boygenius pictures to post here, it looks like they have been sensored by RIM:

BlackBerry 9630 Review: Part 1 : Boy Genius Report

Also, about the 11th comment:

On Mar 24, 2009 @ 1:41 pm, jayman Said:

That without question looks like a Clickable screen Looks just like the Storms Is a NDA preventing you from sharing that with us?

Permalink | Reply

On Mar 24, 2009 @ 1:42 pm, The Boy Genius Said:

@jayman

Dude, where the **** did you come from? Seriously not even going to answer either of your questions.

Permalink | Reply

The Boy Genius dodged both questions. Would be interesting if it did turn out that the Nigara was a touch screen.

I'm not sure if I believe it, after looking at Kevin's video review, when he was going through the menu options and went into the Screen/Keyboard, it looks like he scrolled down to the bottom, but there were no options for Touchscreen, like in the Storm menu...But maybe he didn't scroll down all the way? Who knows?
    04-02-09 05:26 PM
    The Boy Genius dodged both questions. Would be interesting if it did turn out that the Nigara was a touch screen.

I'm not sure if I believe it, after looking at Kevin's video review, when he was going through the menu options and went into the Screen/Keyboard, it looks like he scrolled down to the bottom, but there were no options for Touchscreen, like in the Storm menu...But maybe he didn't scroll down all the way? Who knows?
    He didn't dodge both questions. You didn't copy all of BGR's relevant posts. He clearly states that it is not a touchscreen.

This doesn't mean that the production phone won't have a touchscreen (And I would be thrilled if it did, especially a non-surepress), but as of right now, the prototypes suggest that it will not have a touchscreen.
    04-02-09 05:54 PM
    He didn't dodge both questions. You didn't copy all of BGR's relevant posts. He clearly states that it is not a touchscreen.

This doesn't mean that the production phone won't have a touchscreen (And I would be thrilled if it did, especially a non-surepress), but as of right now, the prototypes suggest that it will not have a touchscreen.
    I didn't see any other comments, but I also didn't go past page one of comments, I posted that first comment and the reply that BGR gave in full. I left nothing out on purpose. Post the link where he explains it's not a touchscreen because I still haven't seen that.
    04-02-09 05:56 PM
    I would rather the phone not be a touchscreen Niagara honestly. I love the Storm for what it is. But a phone that has a full QWERTY key pad wouldnt be right with a touchscreen on it. Its better with the trackball.
    04-02-09 07:34 PM
    Come on guys - everyone knows the National Enquirer is a more reliable source than BGR.

I'd almost trust King Hussein of America to tell the truth before I'd trust BGR to have reliable info.

04-02-09 08:23 PM
    If you live to argue with people on an online forum, and you are a grown man, I'd say . . . erm. . .

failure much
    04-02-09 10:50 PM
    Hey, no hard feelings towards anyone. I like a good debate like the next guy, just wanted to get back on topic to see if anyone had any other information. I haven't seen much on the 9900 other than that article and what I read on theses forums.
    04-03-09 08:18 AM
    Get over it - the kidiots like to take one thing I might say every now and again & twist it into their own drivel, then blame me for starting it. They can't seem to stand anyone knowing more than they think they do.

But I agree - the political arguments need to go elsewhere. I don't start them; I only make side comments. Niubeav is one of the most frequent thread hijackers we have around here and is adept at taking the one thing he thinks he knows (politics) and launching attacks against me over them. He's done it before and his childish nature will probably try it again after all settles.

Getting things back on topic (which does allow for side comments) here is what CB had on the subject:

BlackBerry 9900

I believe that is the most recent, but I may be wrong. I do have some more info on it in trade journals, but those are on paper and simply text musings & reports.
    really? you actually beleive that? its nothing more than a poor photoshop job of an 8800 series and a bold.
    04-03-09 08:54 AM
    really? you actually beleive that? its nothing more than a poor photoshop job of an 8800 series and a bold.
    Not at all - just pointing out another link.

Photoshop is the way of BGR.

That device is coming. Just remember that it was only about six weeks ago we didn't have any reliable images of the Niagara.

04-03-09 11:03 AM
    If the screen is smaller than the Storm; and the Storm is discontinued it is a deal breaker for me.....
    04-03-09 11:03 AM
    Not at all - just pointing out another link.

Photoshop is the way of BGR.

That device is coming. Just remember that it was only about six weeks ago we didn't have any reliable images of the Niagara.

Good - this way you will be oblivious to how much of a fool I show you to be. Of course, you live a life of oblivion.

Now get moving - your next class bell has rung & you don't want to be put in detention again.

After joey's comment, had to take you off to see how you were going to attack me next....

I'm actually 24, working three jobs, and a grad student....I've got today off from work for once. Who's the fool now? Don't automatically ASSume things.....

Oh...forgot to mention my 3.98 GPA, graduating this May with honors in my masters program, hmm...what else...oh yeah...pretty much completely support myself through my grad program, cook my own food, and take care of myself. I watch the news every morning and evening to find out what's going on in the world, and I challenge myself to try and find different peoples opinions on different things. I just don't happen to agree with them. And I've been doing all of this for about two years now....
    Last edited by niubeav; 04-03-09 at 11:17 AM.
    04-03-09 11:13 AM
    "Can't we all just get along?" "Let's hug it out Bit*ch

As for the debating, it should be taken elsewhere. This episode makes about the fifth time niubeav has pulled the same thing. Its like he has nothing intelligent to say, so he cuts/pastes from his canned talking points.

I guess with him around, I know what Limbaugh goes through, minus several million dollars.

The premise the OP brought up is something of great interest to me. It appears that it may be everything the Storm was supposed to be, but I am holding my breath. RIM has shown brilliance when the device is an evolutionary step from an older model, but proves they are mostly thumbs when it comes to consumer-oriented devices.

By the way - yet another Storm OS revision has been sent back for a rewrite.

Last edited by Duvi; 04-03-09 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Spring cleaning
    04-03-09 11:24 AM
    trying to get thread cleaned up. Please stick to topic or it will be locked.

Thanks
    04-03-09 11:31 AM
    trying to get thread cleaned up. Please stick to topic or it will be locked.

Thanks
    Please boyz and gurlz cause I like what I am hearing about this new phone
    04-03-09 11:34 AM
    Yes, lets get back on topic! What were we talking about?
    04-03-09 11:39 AM
    a bloomberg.com article seems to reference this phone for verizon

RIM Jumps After Profit, Sales Forecasts Top Estimates (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
    04-03-09 12:16 PM
    VZW is gonna keep putting money into R&D.
    Until they can just slap AT&T around like a red headed
    step child.
    But AT&T keeps VZW honest and vice versa.
    04-03-09 12:28 PM
    Had fair warning. Failure to keep on topic.
    04-03-09 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD