I've been with Verizon for years now but I've been getting different answers regarding the two features that I've been utilizing since I got my Storm.

1. Friends and Family
    I added a toll free number to my Friends and Family list and they seem to be added fine and next to the number on the Verizon website, it says "ACTIVE" but I'm not quite sure. Can you use a toll-free number as one of the your Friends and Family numbers? I just called Verizon and the rep I talked to told me that toll-free numbers are not allowed as part of Friends and Family. I'd like to add the Google 411 number to my Friends and Family list so when Google 411 connects me to the business, I can talk as long as I want. (And Google Voice should be coming out soon too.)

2. Call Forwarding
    I have my calls forwarded to YouMail if I don't answer. I know missed calls do not count as a minute if they are transferred to default VZW voicemail. But when the call is forwarded to YouMail, does it count against my minutes? So if somebody decides to leave me a 10 minutes voicemail, I'll be charged 10 minutes? What if I add YouMail (the 714 something number) to the Friends and Family list?
    05-18-09 06:42 PM
    I can personally tell you that yes 800 numbers can be part of the Friends and Family. I host several conference calls every week that require me to call an 800 number for the bridge and it does not eat up my minutes. As far as fowarding I dont know because I dont do that. Hope this helps
    05-18-09 09:33 PM
    I can also confirm that toll free numbers can be added to F&F.
    05-18-09 10:06 PM
    I think it is very stupid that you have 2 be on at least a 900 minute calling plan 2 get the f & f. At least that's what one of the instore reps told me.
    05-18-09 10:54 PM
    yes, tollfree numbers (800, 866, 877, 888) can be used for F&F. ANY U.S. number can be used for F&F, so long as they are a landline, wireless, or tollfree number. (So, no 411 direct, 900#s, international numbers, etc. And you can't use your own mobile number or voicemail number.)

As far as the YouMail setup, I would assume yes it would work... since you have to setup "busy / no answer" call forwarding to actually use that service. So long as it's a U.S. number, there shouldn't be a problem. The easiest way to do it is to add it to your F&F no later than the NEXT to last day of your bill cycle (since it takes 1 day for F&F to go active), then let a few calls purposely go over to voicemail. Heck, call and leave yourself a voicemail for all in matters. Of course, you'd want to make sure they are calls during your peak minute period (M-F 6a-9p). Then, when your bill is viewable online... overview> my bill> use dropdown to select bill period> click on the option that says "view and print bill", which will open a new window with a PDF file that has the entire call history. Check the call detail for those couple days. If the "usage type" says "M2MAllow" then you know that F&F allows for that number. If it says "PlanAllow", then it's using your regular peak minutes.

The question I would have is why use YouMail when Verizon basic voicemail is free and you don't have to go through all the hoops?

hope that helps.
    05-18-09 10:56 PM
    I think it is very stupid that you have 2 be on at least a 900 minute calling plan 2 get the f & f. At least that's what one of the instore reps told me.
    it's called capitalism. other carriers don't have the additional benefits on the base plans either. well, the last I checked anyway...

and what difference would it make to save minutes if you're on the base plan? if you're on the lowest plan, chances are you aren't using your phone enough to benefit from the F&F, and Verizon would lose money since people would probably add their 5 numbers and talk more for free.

great IDEA, but the practicality of it doesn't work... and neither does paying a nominal fee for having it on lower plans.
    05-18-09 11:08 PM
    As the previous poster mentioned, it's just not feasible at this time to make it work.

It's funny, I've had people scream at me cause it's not 5 or 10 #'s per line. So let me get this straight, you want to have a 700 min FSP with 5 lines plus 50 (10 for each line) #'s you can call anytime and they won't count against your minute allowance?

Oookkkaaayy. The Salvation Army, we are not. That being said, as a private company we are one of the largest contributors to charitable causes in the country.

And yes, just to confirm what a few others said, you can put a toll-free (800) # on F&F.

VZW, FTW!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 11:26 PM
    Oh geeze....let's not start this argument again...
    05-19-09 12:30 AM
    As others have said, I use 800 numbers for conference calls all the time, and it does not eat my minutes.

I am so thankful for F&F as I figured it saved me over $100 a month. I have 5 phones, we was on the 4,000 minute plan and with F&F we where able to drop to 1,400 minute plan.
    05-19-09 04:31 AM
    Yeah - and you probably think its stupid that Walmart doesn't coddle you like Nordstrom, too.

WHERE'S THE LEATHER & V8 & POWER SEATS IN MY HYUNDAI EXCEL?
    05-19-09 09:31 AM
    Yea, that does suck. I guess the whole f&f is for users who might need to bump from 900-1350 minutes. If you're at 450 minutes its kind of silly because if you get F&F you wouldn't need 900 minutes, and if you get the 900 minutes, you wouldn't need the F&F. IMO they should offer the 5 F&F for $10/month or so for people with the 450 minute plan. Would be a nice intermediate option.
    05-19-09 10:38 AM
    funny how vzn gives their customers that use their service most, a free service... and those that don't spend enough money to qualify complain.
    05-19-09 01:41 PM
    Thanks for the info on the 800 numbers. It helps when calling the J-O-B.
    05-20-09 02:55 PM
    Amen! people can be so stupid!
    05-21-09 04:23 PM
    I have call forwarding as part of my included features. Does that mean that it wont cost me extra to have my voice mails forwarded to youmail.
    07-01-09 11:38 AM
    I have call forwarding as part of my included features. Does that mean that it wont cost me extra to have my voice mails forwarded to youmail.
    As long as you have YouMail as part of your F&F list, you will be okay.
    If not, if a call is forwarded to YouMail and the caller leaves you a 5 min message, you'll be charged 5 minutes against your plan.

I have Google 411 and YouMail on my F&F list.
    Very nice if you have to call a business especially if it is going to be a long call.

07-01-09 01:50 PM
    I've been with Verizon for years now but I've been getting different answers regarding the two features that I've been utilizing since I got my Storm.

1. Friends and Family
    I added a toll free number to my Friends and Family list and they seem to be added fine and next to the number on the Verizon website, it says "ACTIVE" but I'm not quite sure. Can you use a toll-free number as one of the your Friends and Family numbers? I just called Verizon and the rep I talked to told me that toll-free numbers are not allowed as part of Friends and Family. I'd like to add the Google 411 number to my Friends and Family list so when Google 411 connects me to the business, I can talk as long as I want. (And Google Voice should be coming out soon too.)

2. Call Forwarding
    I have my calls forwarded to YouMail if I don't answer. I know missed calls do not count as a minute if they are transferred to default VZW voicemail. But when the call is forwarded to YouMail, does it count against my minutes? So if somebody decides to leave me a 10 minutes voicemail, I'll be charged 10 minutes? What if I add YouMail (the 714 something number) to the Friends and Family list?
    Toll-free numbers can be added, but toll-related numbers (you know the one's I'm talking about) cannot. I.E. 800, 866, etc numbers can be added. 900 numbers cannot. 411 cannot.

Call forwarding will charge you minutes if you are having the calls forwarded to anything other than another Verizon Wireless number (or one that is on your friends and family). So, if you are having your calls forwarded to your home phone and you have your home phone as one of your friends and family numbers, it WILL NOT use your minutes.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-01-09 at 02:06 PM.
    07-01-09 01:54 PM
    I am using the web on my centro to check my messages since I'm stuck on a centro for the next 15 days till I get a tour. then ill download the bb app for youmail.

07-01-09 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD