10-05-09 11:44 AM
54 123
tools
    Those are for SALE not to be given out for free to every whiner who comes in and says they read about free trackballs on Crackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. No they arent for sale as they are not in our inventory. They are technically free replacements for customers experiencing problems with their trackball. Its a better solution to give them a new trackball instead of swapping out the phone for something that can be fixed.
    08-24-09 03:24 PM
    Folks,

I have deleted 4 posts, plus another mod deleted a bunch more, PLEASE remember......

..... from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    08-26-09 10:00 AM
    Copycat issue resolved and removed. Nothing to see hear folks just move along. If you don't understand, just disregard this post.
    08-26-09 12:24 PM
    I declined to get insurance for my BlackBerry.
    Am I able to have my trackball replaced by them?
    08-26-09 04:50 PM
    For the love of god, stop sending them to the store!

We're all out of trackballs! We don't know how to order more! ;_;

(note this is a post in jest, we're happy to help folks in the store We are really out of them though. Anyone know how to get more? Call our BB rep?)
    08-26-09 08:23 PM
    I declined to get insurance for my BlackBerry.
    Am I able to have my trackball replaced by them?
    You don't need insurance, you can go in and get it for free. It all depends on the store though...some of them are out of them and some have a lot...
    08-29-09 12:35 PM
    Is there some sort of tutorial, or something, that shows how to replace the trackball yourself? I have a feeling its a bit more difficult than replacing it for the Curve.

WCM

08-29-09 12:38 PM
    I don't think there is a way to actually replace the trackball on the Tour without disassembling it alltogether. Not sure, anyone know?
    08-29-09 12:47 PM
    It looks like a trackball change on the Tour is more or less a total stripdown which would void the warranty.
    08-29-09 06:42 PM
    It looks like a trackball change on the Tour is more or less a total stripdown which would void the warranty.
    Wow. I didin't know that. I thought about switching to the Tour. So, it seems that one would have to get the insurance with the Tour. Guess I'll keep my Curve for a while.
    08-29-09 08:51 PM
    You really should get insurance for any device costing more than 50.00

08-29-09 09:19 PM
    You really should get insurance for any device costing more than 50.00

I agree with that 100%, if you are going to make the investment on a nice phone/smartphone, you might as well pay for insurance just to be safe.
    08-30-09 10:31 AM
    Nobody is gonna like this response so let me say first that I think VZW is going above and beyond the call of duty by stocking and replacing a trackball for free. Kudos to VZW! However, isn't the trackball kind of like the tires on you car? Do you get a free set when you wear them out? Why should you get a free trackball unless it is truly a warranty issue? I would rather be able to walk into a VZW store and purchase at a reasonable price a G1(or whatever color) trackball to replace the one I ordered from cnn.cn (or wherever) when it wears out. So give us a selection of colors and charge us a reasonable price, but take care of warranty issues.

09-01-09 10:51 PM
    Nobody is gonna like this response so let me say first that I think VZW is going above and beyond the call of duty by stocking and replacing a trackball for free. Kudos to VZW! However, isn't the trackball kind of like the tires on you car? Do you get a free set when you wear them out? Why should you get a free trackball unless it is truly a warranty issue? I would rather be able to walk into a VZW store and purchase at a reasonable price a G1(or whatever color) trackball to replace the one I ordered from cnn.cn (or wherever) when it wears out. So give us a selection of colors and charge us a reasonable price, but take care of warranty issues.

Colored trackballs void the warranty, so I don't see VZW carrying them anytime soon.
    09-02-09 10:57 AM
    Nobody is gonna like this response so let me say first that I think VZW is going above and beyond the call of duty by stocking and replacing a trackball for free. Kudos to VZW!
    I want to make sure that everyone is clear, this is not practiced at every store, and I work at a corporate store. If someone needs it done, we see if we have a returned model and pop it out of that, but we absoloutley, positively do not advertise or stock track balls for free.
    09-02-09 02:04 PM
    I want to make sure that everyone is clear, this is not practiced at every store, and I work at a corporate store. If someone needs it done, we see if we have a returned model and pop it out of that, but we absoloutley, positively do not advertise or stock track balls for free.
    True I have spoken to many corp stores that do not do this, but I do agree that it is a great idea. Why send out clnr's when we can send em to a store to get the ball swapped.
    09-02-09 02:08 PM
    At first it was labeled a software issue. The 'Green Dot' boxes are the fix for the trackball issues. Recieved Email from RIM stating there has been an assembly problems with the Tour (Sprint & Verizon) and has been fixed. Thus the 'Green Dot' Tour is cycling in place of the others. Too prideful for a recall, eh RIM?
    09-02-09 03:13 PM
    Geez. I'm by the IA IL border and every corporate store I've been to offers to replace faulty trackballs for free...one in iowa even stated they had tons so if I ever had a problem to just go there...now they don't hand out free track balls nor do they put used ones in our phone from a different phone that's broken.

To the person who said trackballs are like tires please show me where it says anything in a manual about trackball maintenance every six months or 500 hours of use....

09-02-09 05:14 PM
    Jfriend...you're right, the manual says nothing about trackball maintenance. However, this simple little part seems to be the root cause of problems for many BB uses. I'm a regular user of my device, maybe a heavy user and I have only owned this device for 10 months. I am on my second G1 or "atomic" trackball. It is an OEM part. IMO the periodic replacement of the trackball is part of owning this device and in my case, I don't mind. Just make the part available to me at the store. Also, the elimination of a "maintenance" clause in the manual seems to reflect poorly on RIM.

09-02-09 06:20 PM
    Geez. I'm by the IA IL border and every corporate store I've been to offers to replace faulty trackballs for free...one in iowa even stated they had tons so if I ever had a problem to just go there...now they don't hand out free track balls nor do they put used ones in our phone from a different phone that's broken.

To the person who said trackballs are like tires please show me where it says anything in a manual about trackball maintenance every six months or 500 hours of use....

Just wondering how you know for sure you are being given a brand new track ball?

09-02-09 08:30 PM
    wow....uh maybe because they come out of a sealed package???
    09-02-09 09:00 PM
    wow....uh maybe because they come out of a sealed package???
    I wonder who puts them in there.... Most likely someone in a VZW warehouse tearing apart phones for the trackballs. Doubt its RIM delivering trackballs.
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 09-02-09 at 09:13 PM.
    09-02-09 09:09 PM
    omfg...who cares?!
    09-02-09 10:14 PM
    Geez. I'm by the IA IL border and every corporate store I've been to offers to replace faulty trackballs for free...one in iowa even stated they had tons so if I ever had a problem to just go there..
    Come now, that was, of course, because you are a VIP customer, right?
    09-03-09 08:20 AM
    Is it free to get a trackball replacement>
    09-03-09 09:42 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD