03-15-10 01:53 PM
30 12
tools
    03-12-10 09:22 PM
    You're not kidding! If the price gets jacked up, watch for utter mayhem of complaints to VZ and AT&T

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 09:41 PM
    I bet they will keep the 3G unlimited but when they bring in 4G I can see tiered pricing for just the 4G data.

03-12-10 11:28 PM
    Well that's a bummer...

I'm glad I'm grandfathered in with Unlimited Data with T-Mobile in case they decide to go along with this hair-brained idea.

At any rate, I can't imagine this boding well with US customers...and I'm talking about people in general, not just the heavy users. You can't let people have "unlimited" for years and then take it away without some repercussions. I can't imagine this going over well with customers. It's not like a Facebook change...you can't just "get used to it".

In my area, the main ISP decided to do tier-pricing based on how many GB of data you used at home. You wouldn't BELIEVE the backlash...yikes. Within a week, the program was pulled indefinitely.

I can see the same thing happening here.
    03-12-10 11:38 PM
    Oh wow, this is a lot of upset over speculation. Chill people.
    03-12-10 11:49 PM
    If this goes thru, alot of people will be betting out of their contract and either downgrading, or switching carriers all together.
    03-13-10 12:13 AM
    Oh wow, this is a lot of upset over speculation. Chill people.
    I don't think it's just speculation. Not given the removal of the Connect plans in January, or the Data Only plans in February. I think it's a clear trend.
    03-13-10 01:32 AM
    If this goes thru, alot of people will be betting out of their contract and either downgrading, or switching carriers all together.
    Switch to who??

03-13-10 02:28 AM
    I don't think it's just speculation. Not given the removal of the Connect plans in January, or the Data Only plans in February. I think it's a clear trend.
    Not really. They just removed those plans and made room for more expensive options. Unlimited is still there though. The trend for now is "make more money on data"

03-13-10 02:33 AM
    does it really surprise anyone?

As more and more smart phones get sold, the carriers have to PAY $$ to beef up their infrastructure and networks to handle more and more data traffic being used. They're not going to just leave prices where they are and absorb that cost/expense to upgrade as it would eat into their profit (and in turn impact their stock price). Instead, they're going to pass the costs on to us, the consumers.

Btw, wasn't Mike Lazaridis Key Note at -> Mike Lazaridis Keynote Presentation at Mobile World Congress | CrackBerry.com talking about data usage, and how “manufacturers had better start building more efficient applications and more efficient services...." alluding to this?

I know BGR had a different take on it... that instead carriers should ust build networks that can handle the traffic saying "...It’s called actually having a wireless data network that can handle the things consumers and businesses want to do on their phones, and it’s called planning." -> RIM’s Mike Lazaridis wants manufacturers to limit your data usage Boy Genius Report But in the end, I think they forgot that there is a COST to building the network, and who will ultimately pay for it.

Be careful what you wish for....
    03-13-10 08:32 AM
    I wonder if T-Mobile will follow this trend. I sure hope not.

The great thing about capitalism is that if there is a demand for a product, then there will be a market. Hopefully there will still be carriers who offer unlimited for those who want/need it.
    03-13-10 11:15 AM
    I highly doubt any of the carriers will change people's current plans. I bet, as long as you keep your plan/phone, it won't change when these new tiered pricing schemes go into effect.

However, change phones or plans, and you'll have to change, too.
    03-13-10 03:13 PM
    When I see official sources and not comments about such changes I might begin to believe it but this is unconfied rumors...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-13-10 06:22 PM
    When I see official sources and not comments about such changes I might begin to believe it but this is unconfied rumors...

Exactlty. People are going coo coo for coco puffs a little to early.
    03-13-10 11:59 PM
    Well if I were to speculate...

Given the current scenario with VZW whereas technically you have unlimited data with your BB device, however if you use over 5gig in a month a flag goes up and VZW starts to snoop to see if you're tethering without the tether plan. Some people have reported receiving a warning from VZW about their suspected use of tethering when they hit 5gigs or more consistently (and in rare cases had their service removed if tethering was confirmed without the plan).

It wasn't that long ago that to surpass 5gigs in a month, you really had to work hard at it to accomplish it, and most normal/casual users would find it near impossible to do. However now with streaming audio and video so abundant, it's not all that difficult to do (and for power users, somewhat commonplace).

So if VZW or AT&T decide to change their data plan model, I'd be more inclined to think they will just rename the Unlimited Data plan to a 5gig plan then start charging you for additional use after the 5gig cap, in favor of the current model where you have a data plan and can opt for the additional tethering plan (the tethering plan being another $30/mo on top of your unlimited data plan, with additional charges after 5gigs of tethering). If that's the case (again I mention it's just speculation on my part) then the casual user would probably not be affected by it.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-14-10 at 06:55 AM.
    03-14-10 06:50 AM
    Well that's a bummer...

I'm glad I'm grandfathered in with Unlimited Data with T-Mobile in case they decide to go along with this hair-brained idea.

At any rate, I can't imagine this boding well with US customers...and I'm talking about people in general, not just the heavy users. You can't let people have "unlimited" for years and then take it away without some repercussions. I can't imagine this going over well with customers. It's not like a Facebook change...you can't just "get used to it".

In my area, the main ISP decided to do tier-pricing based on how many GB of data you used at home. You wouldn't BELIEVE the backlash...yikes. Within a week, the program was pulled indefinitely.

I can see the same thing happening here.
    If mark is right in the post above you by saying 3g will stay unlimited and 4g will be teired then you have nothing to worry about on tmobile. I mean cmon they just rolled out 3g. It will be a LONG time before they even touch 4g. Lol

03-14-10 07:13 AM
    Switch to who??

To a carrier that hasnt changed its unlimited model, if there are any left at that time.
    03-14-10 09:43 AM
    I was just at a vzw store a week ago thinking of swithching from the plan I am on to a family plan and there was No mention of unlimited data going away to me then when they was explaning the differences in the 2 plans. So this is the first I heard of that IF its legit

03-14-10 10:14 AM
    I don't mind it...
    I mean there has always been a 5gb cap.
    I remember years ago they didn't allow streaming, etc.
    Now that so many people do it, I have no problem with putting tiered plans.
    I mean I am in the minority, but they are in the business to make money.
    03-14-10 10:19 AM
    I consider myself a pretty heavy user and I average around 1GB a month, often I'm under and my record is 1.5 GBs, so I could easily live with a hard cap of 5GBs.
    03-14-10 10:20 AM
    I've streamed music and videos every day the whole day for a month and never passed 1.5...

03-14-10 04:07 PM
    I consider myself a pretty heavy user and I average around 1GB a month, often I'm under and my record is 1.5 GBs, so I could easily live with a hard cap of 5GBs.
    I don't think we'll necessarily see caps, certainly not at 5GB.

I just think we'll see different tiers, one price for 1GB, another for 5GB, another for 10, and so on.

They'll want people to use data and with LTE they have enough bandwidth to give away more data.
    03-14-10 05:44 PM
    Well if I were to speculate...

Given the current scenario with VZW whereas technically you have unlimited data with your BB device, however if you use over 5gig in a month a flag goes up and VZW starts to snoop to see if you're tethering without the tether plan. Some people have reported receiving a warning from VZW about their suspected use of tethering when they hit 5gigs or more consistently (and in rare cases had their service removed if tethering was confirmed without the plan).

It wasn't that long ago that to surpass 5gigs in a month, you really had to work hard at it to accomplish it, and most normal/casual users would find it near impossible to do. However now with streaming audio and video so abundant, it's not all that difficult to do (and for power users, somewhat commonplace).

So if VZW or AT&T decide to change their data plan model, I'd be more inclined to think they will just rename the Unlimited Data plan to a 5gig plan then start charging you for additional use after the 5gig cap, in favor of the current model where you have a data plan and can opt for the additional tethering plan (the tethering plan being another $30/mo on top of your unlimited data plan, with additional charges after 5gigs of tethering). If that's the case (again I mention it's just speculation on my part) then the casual user would probably not be affected by it.
    That's almost too intelligent to post here.
    Excellent observation, and IMO the changes will end up being very close to this when all is said and done. But of course thinking of it this way gives less reason for folks to wail and gnash their teeth, so your post will just get overlooked.
    03-14-10 06:02 PM
    I would love to see a 3 gb cap at 25.00
    5 gb at 40.00
    of course this would include tethering
    unlimited would be 50.00.
    03-14-10 07:00 PM
    They may remove certain plans, but you are always grandfathered in to your current plan.

I think if they are thinking about this, they are probably purposefully leaking, putting rumors out there. This gets people worried and those not yet on an unlimited plan will be enticed to upgrade to one.
    03-15-10 08:44 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD