http://bgr.com/2013/07/15/vz-edge-ve...grade-program/

I would be hip to this. I like the latest tech. What y'all think?
    07-16-13 12:06 AM
    VZ Edge: Verizon early upgrade program to compete with T-Mobile | BGR

I would be hip to this. I like the latest tech. What y'all think?
    Upgrade when you've paid off 50% of the device, so roughly $300.
    These new carrier "deals" are just a way for them to rip off people who can't do math.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    07-16-13 12:20 AM
    Upgrade when you've paid off 50% of the device, so roughly $300.
    These new carrier "deals" are just a way for them to rip off people who can't do math.

Actually while that may be true in some ways, I think the main thing customers want is being able to get a new device without having to shell out $500 or $600 all at once.

In some countries today that's exactly the way it works - the benefit is no contract and monthly wireless bills 1/2 or 1/3 of what a typical North American customer pays.

Historically in NA the carriers addressed that by subsidizing the hardware cost and amortizing it over the term of a long contract, which also locked their customers to them, which they certainly don't mind.

It also obfuscates the true value of the hardware, allowing them to play around with various promotions depending on what they feel like pushing, irrespective of the actual hardware cost, and severely undermines the secondary (used) market - once again playing onto their desire to keep their customers upgrading and therefore repeatedly renewing their contracts and their dependency on the carrier.

Another approach is what T-Mobile has been doing by essentially financing the hardware via small monthly payments, but without a service contract. That could be the best of both worlds, depending on the terms of that agreement.

The main thing, as I said, seems to be finding a way for people to upgrade their hardware without having to come up with a large lump sum. Same reason most people finance their purchases of vehicles and homes rather than stuffing their mattress with cash for years and then paying cash for that stuff.
    07-17-13 03:21 AM
    Yeah, this was bad, not what I was expecting from VZW at all, this won't help anyone "stay hip" to new technology, you'd best be served by just carrying on with the math of 2-year subscriptions and full-price phones...
    07-18-13 11:26 AM
    @Omnitech so save your monthly payments, and sell the old phone to subsidize the cost of the new one.

This is exactly the reason America is in the crapper right now, because so many people are either too dumb to recognize a deal that's bad financially or too lazy to care.

/rant
    07-18-13 11:35 AM
    I personally feel this is their lame replacement for their now defunct VIP program where you could upgrade every year by signing a new 2 year contract and get the two year contract price...I miss those days...

On my sweet Z10 with CB10! Verizon STL100-4 BBM Channel: C000534C0
    07-22-13 11:35 PM
    I personally feel this is their lame replacement for their now defunct VIP program where you could upgrade every year by signing a new 2 year contract and get the two year contract price...I miss those days...

I used to have a card from Verizon that said I was a member of some sort of "VIP club", supposedly got discounts on certain things.

Which probably lasted a year or two, until they killed the program. Yeah, I felt special.
    07-23-13 12:08 AM
    I just liked the upgrade part. Used that for 4 years....

On my sweet Z10 with CB10! Verizon STL100-4 BBM Channel: C000534C0
    07-23-13 12:15 AM
    So it sounds like once your device is 50% paid off, you can upgrade and pay for the new phone with monthly payments. My question is, what is the upgrade price on the new phone (after you have paid 50% of the current one)?
    07-23-13 05:49 PM