08-05-10 10:55 AM
33 12
tools
    Is it just me or does it seem like verizon is not dealing with rim anymore? All the leaks concerning new devices are all on other carriers. Then you get the at&t "announcement" about the slider and bb6! Wtf! if they are releasing the new os soon why is it that at&t seems to be the only carrier to make announcement. Shouldn't that be coming from rim? Everyone knows that verizon has pumped a sh*t load of money into phones with android os. Haven't heard much from them about bb's from verizon lately and now they eol 2 practically NEW phones? 1st time they've said anything about bb's and they kill 2 phones! Not the least the 9630 not what? A month ago? Getting tired of hearing about at&t getting all the new phones. Their service is not nearly as good in my area and seems if they would put some of that money they've been paying apple to keep that phone in their pocket maybe they could better their service. Sorry I digress. Anybody heard anything about verizon continuing to offer bb's or are they done with RIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 03:48 PM
    Certainly Verizon's consumer focus has shifted to android based devices, BUT they do a huge business with business class devices with BlackBerry and RIM. RIM & Verizon still have a strong relationship, no worries.
    07-27-10 03:52 PM
    Seems there's been at least 3 devices practically announced and only one possible coming to verizon. And a clamshell? Not really sure if there is too many "businesses" that would be interested in that one. Seems to me that all the fru's people have been begging verizon for have finally turned them off this platform can't run a business when your giving out free phones to people that "purposely" damage it so they can get the latest phone when that's in reality only an upgrade from what they had. RIM really needs to stop this baby step crap when releasing new phones and quit reinventing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I love this phone and verizon's coverage is excellent but they haven't released a truly "new" phone in along time. Seems verizon thinks the same. I'm truly hoping I'm wrong. Just would like to see some hard facts to the contrary

07-27-10 04:02 PM
    Last edited by philbert81; 08-04-10 at 02:17 AM.
    07-27-10 07:42 PM
    The 9300, storm 3, and the new clam shell. Ya. It really seems like they are ditching blackberry. You do read the blog posts and all the leeks right?

And VZW will spend about $20 in advertising for all three.
    07-27-10 07:44 PM
    And VZW will spend about $20 in advertising for all three.
    Most people that are going to buy a blackberry now are going to get one if it's heavily advertised or not. Why waste the money?

07-27-10 07:57 PM
    It makes sense that gsm gets most of the new releases, since when a gsm phone is released it can be used in almost every country. So I'm sure they focus on GSM over CDMA. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I see it. Right now CDMA has the newest BB out, I'm happy. Can't wait for OS 6, but overall happy.
    07-28-10 08:18 AM
    Most people that are going to buy a blackberry now are going to get one if it's heavily advertised or not. Why waste the money?

Exactly what I was thinking. I bought my first BB without any advertising. I don't think they need to waste the $.

07-28-10 08:24 AM
    Exactly what I was thinking. I bought my first BB without any advertising. I don't think they need to waste the $.

At this point RIM is doing enough advertising them selves. I see Blackberry commercials on TV all the time. I love the girl on the bbm commercial. She's like "don't tell me you didn't get my message I can see you read it." It makes me laugh every time.
    07-28-10 08:36 AM
    VZW just got the CDMA Bold and should be getting some more BB models in the future.

I HIGHLY doubt that VZW is dropping them. You can't just assume that based on the number of BB commercials alone or the rate at which you get new BB models.
    07-28-10 11:11 AM
    They don't have commercials for Windows Mobile phones and they still sell those. They don't have commercials for Palms and they still sell those.
    They had commercials for the Kin and they dropped those.
    They don't have commercials for feature phones and they still sell those.
    What exactly are you basing your assumption off of?
    07-28-10 11:27 AM
    Don't forget VZW just pushed out the VCAST apps for BB. They made too big of a deal about it for them to be dropping BB.
    Last edited by fifthgear001; 07-28-10 at 02:03 PM.
    07-28-10 01:17 PM
    Just because a carrier doesn't advertise their phones, doesn't mean it's leaving VZW. BB with VZW will be fine. Just because they are not advertising it, doesn't mean a thing.
    07-28-10 09:38 PM
    Blackberry is well known. I know the Android platform has been a real push on Verizon. I was getting my Bold today and one of the reps was trying to talk me into the new Droid X. I love BB and have no intentions of making a switch. Love my new BOLD. It is Berryamazing. There is a device for everyone, but I for one, am a BB gal and no one can make me switch. I also only deal with two people at the Verizon store I do business with and they know what I want and like.
    07-28-10 10:08 PM
    Verizon is definitely making Android it's priority. Remember, Verizon has been going for AT&T's throat, and has directly called out the iPhone. Right now there is no Blackberry that can compete with the iPhone; and if you remember, they already tried that with the Storm, and produced a mediocre device. Android is a far more capable OS, and their hardware closely matches that of the other high end phones on the market, unlike that in Blackberry devices. Even with the new OS 6, which finally might bring RIM onto the same tier as Android and iOS on the software end, the current and rumored Blackberry devices are still far behind the current high end devices on the market, and even ones that have been out for half a year. And as far as popularity goes, their reputation as a "business phone" may be harming them as much as it is helping them, since the growing smartphone market consists mostly of non business users.

I have always been a huge RIM fan, and up through the Tour, have only carried a Blackberry, but in the past year, things have changed dramatically, and I can no longer say that Blackberry is the best smartphone out there, or even in the top three.

I'll stop my rambling... But my main point is, Verizon's apparent decision to make Android it's priority makes complete sense in my mind. And personally, I would much rather be getting the newest Android devices, then get the Blackberry's later down the road, than have it be the other way around, like AT&T has it...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 07-28-10 at 10:27 PM.
    07-28-10 10:17 PM
    Yep I agree if RIM would keep up there Might not be as many leaving for other devices. Which is what I did (left blackberry), I got of the tugboat mode and into a speedboat mode(Android's Rule) , LOL
    07-29-10 05:44 PM

...and what happens when they over-advertise BlackBerrys? People who don't exactly understand what a BlackBerry is all about buy them then come here and complain about how much they hate it and wish they had bought an Android or iPhone.
    07-29-10 05:49 PM
    ...and what happens when they over-advertise BlackBerrys? People who don't exactly understand what a BlackBerry is all about buy them then come here and complain about how much they hate it and wish they had bought an Android or iPhone.
    Hence the storm.

07-29-10 05:52 PM
    I understand blackberries all to well having use of an 8330, 9630,9650 I would compair those to watching reruns in the summertime same ole song and dance , but basically same old OS with not much added even OS 6 is going to be outdated when its released . Then I woke up tried out the androids and saw how far RIM is laging . What's funny is alot of people put down the androids having never ever used one . I have used blackberries and speak from my own personal exp. , LOL
    Last edited by DavidNC; 07-29-10 at 07:20 PM.
    07-29-10 06:19 PM
    David I am glad you like your android. I have played with them and know it is truely not for me. I am sure others feel the same way. Now please take your trolling elsewhere. Your snide comments are not gonna chane my mind.

07-29-10 06:35 PM
    well in the first place I am not trying to get you to switch I am just stating facts . Second place I can state my opinion here if I want to third its not your forum, fourth you are rude in even starting a personal attack but then what would I expect that's typical of blackberry users to turn the facts away from the phone and start personal attacks and being snide and rude and trolling yourself, so in others words I dont care what you think I never asked YOU LOL.Good luck in your OCD recovery hope it goes well for you
    Last edited by DavidNC; 07-29-10 at 07:40 PM.
    07-29-10 07:16 PM
    Then lay off the smirks. I too was stating the facts.
    07-29-10 08:28 PM
    This wasn't suppose to turn into another bb vs android discussion. I was asking if it seemed to anyone whether or not they also thought verizon was getting rid of BB. I don't have any facts other than watching what verizon has done with their BB's. Personally I haven't tried android and probably won't unless verizon does dump BB. It just seemed to me that they have eol'd too many devices this year already and have really not replaced them with newer devices. So far most of the soon to be released ones are on other carriers. The arguement someone else stated was due to gsm being more carrier friendly. I can definetelly see that point. So does this put the ball back in RIM's court and they need to step up with new phones that verizon will WANT to sell?

07-30-10 06:42 AM
    With Verizon going to LTE, do you really want a lot of BBs that can't be used? Are you gonna purchase one that can't use LTE once it is nation wide? I wouldn't. Verizon knows that too - as well as RIM.

There has always been less new BBs to CDMA than to GSM. The only BB verizon has been advertised was the STORM. They just don't spend $ on it. As several of us have said, they are NOT dumping BBs.

07-30-10 07:50 AM
    Hence the storm.

How true, most Storm/Storm2 owners should have had their BB revoked.
    07-30-10 07:58 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD