Verizon is Dropping Prices on Equipment Protection Plans - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I noticed this article on VZW dropping protection plan pricing a little. I wonder if Squaretrade is making a dent in there PP sales? I think I am going to stick with Squaretrade, but thought I would pass this along.
    01-31-11 08:17 PM
    I think this could partially be due to the iPhone. What would you rather do:

1) Pay a certain monthly fee in perpetuity for insurance, knowing that if you have to file a claim it can be a pain in the a$$

or

2) Pay $69 for AppleCare on your iPhone, knowing that you can walk into any Apple store and take care of most issues rather easily?
    02-02-11 01:23 PM
    This is actually unrelated from the iPhone. It lowered the monthlys for smartphones, but raised them for feature phones. Also, both the claim fee's went up. The iPhone will have it's own seperate terms which I'm assuming Asurion had to negotiate with Apple because it is quite a bit different from the other smartphones.
    02-02-11 03:02 PM
    Ya.. the prices have been creeping up. If remember correctly, it was $4.99mth. then $5.99. Then $7.99. The iPhone is $10.99mth.
    02-03-11 04:20 PM
    Ya.. the prices have been creeping up. If remember correctly, it was $4.99mth. then $5.99. Then $7.99. The iPhone is $10.99mth.
    That's what I figured. People do it to themselves. Committing fraud just to get another device for cheaper. Now it will cost people more to be dishonest.
    02-03-11 04:32 PM
    That's what I figured. People do it to themselves. Committing fraud just to get another device for cheaper. Now it will cost people more to be dishonest.
    That may be the case in rare situations, but its also a very "narrow minded" way of looking at things. Everybody isnt in to fraud. Stop taking up for the greedy insurance companies.

I have been paying the fee for about 5 years now, NOT INCLUDING the money I paid for my phones and the monthly bill. I dropped mine in water and had to get another. No problem ($50 charge). The replacement phone came and I had problems with the charger connection on the phone itself about 3-4 weeks later. It wasn't charging basically. Called the insurance agent back and they would not issue a replacement for THE REPLACEMENT without another $50 fee. They told me to call Verizon for help. So I did.

When I got customer service on the phone they told me to call Assurance again. So I did and got the same cold news. I went back and forth until I went crazy with the Verizon agent and asked for a supervisor. Verizon ended up replacing the phone at no charge, not Assurance. Go Figure!
    Last edited by ibobby; 02-03-11 at 04:56 PM.
    02-03-11 04:54 PM
    I'm not in agreement with them or what they are doing. I hate Asurion. And even though there are pleanty of honest folks, the ones who are not are the ones that ruin it for everyone else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 05:52 PM
    That's an issue with asuruon....the quality. They ship out a refurb....any issues with it and they try to hit you up for another deductible and likely drop you since you have 2 claims. I think they give you 7 days only. I see lots of complaints. And sometimes they don't give you the same device. I am considering dropping them after seeing I have one claim in 10 years and I suspect the refurb killed 3 batteries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 01:20 AM
    Go to SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative if you do not like ausurion. It has good reviews pretty much every where you look and is cheaper, and still has a $50 deductible. It does not cover lost or stolen though.
    02-07-11 05:01 PM
    Go to SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative if you do not like ausurion. It has good reviews pretty much every where you look and is cheaper, and still has a $50 deductible. It does not cover lost or stolen though.
    I have filed two claims on two separate warranties through SquareTrade, both "waterproof" cameras that were damaged by water. From the time I mailed them the camera to the time I got my money back was less than a week. I highly recommend them. I'm trying to decide if i'm going to use them or not. Little worried about lack of theft/loss coverage this go round, may look into the homeowner's insurance to see if I can get a rider for it there.
    02-07-11 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD