05-02-09 12:49 PM
35 12
tools
    The technological advances behind LTE are only half the story, the legal issues are going to be monumental. The band will be "Open Access", meaning in loose terms, that any company can make a device that runs on it.

The carriers will no longer have the power they have now over hardware. This is good news; RIM, Google or Apple can develop a device that works on LTE, VZW cannot deny access to that device, providing it lives up to the guidelines put forth. Obviously this is a simplified version of the legalities but it will open the wireless hardware marketplace to a level never before seen. Good news for the consumer.

The 700MHz spectrum, which will carry the new network, has not been fully cleared yet so testing will be on a limited level until June 12th. After that we should see aggressive development.
    U are right, its good news for the customer. However, when things are blocked and restricted now, too many people on here defend the practice. So to hear how it will be good for the customer when LTE comes out is a bit of an irony given the current views consistantly against the customer
    05-02-09 07:48 AM
    You will not need wifi on LTE. LTE will probably be faster than most cable connections.
    my technical knowledge is limited in this area, however, I did hear from a reliable source that this will not be the case despite LTE being very promising.

Nothing in future developement can beat a solid wifi connection in speed up/downstream
    05-02-09 07:50 AM
    You will not need wifi on LTE. LTE will probably be faster than most cable connections.
    Speed isn't the only reason for wifi. International data use, and no cellular signal areas are a couple other reasons to have it.
    05-02-09 10:53 AM
    if the storm 2 was compatible with LTE, had wifi and full GPS capability, then this phone would be the investment of all investments!
    That would be awesome. It would just be better if they didn't waste thier time on a high quality camera and put a slide out keyboard into the Storm2. The rumors I heard on th CB podcast was that they were putting a 5-6MP cam on the Strom 2. Screw that. Get a better keyboard and they would have the best phone on the market
    05-02-09 11:03 AM
    Speed isn't the only reason for wifi. International data use, and no cellular signal areas are a couple other reasons to have it.
    THat is part of LTE it will work internationally. Even Vodaphone the largest carrier in europe is going to it
    05-02-09 11:04 AM
    I agree! Wifi is an "AID" to 3g, or even LTE for that matter regardless of speed comparisons. No one wants to eliminate wireless cellular data in place of wifi. That was never an argument.
    05-02-09 11:06 AM
    Government in general does not work this way. They will generate guidelines that set requirements. Carriers will write and implement their own procedures and policies that meet those guidelines that get approved by the government.

The government will and should never tell business how to run their business. I know this first hand from being in aerospace for 20 years.
    I agree about the govt part.
    So while there is potentially that freedom
    to put any phone on any network.
    It will boil down to how much the carriers want
    to open up their networks.
    Aerospace huh LR; wow.
    I think u might be pretty high on the food
    chain as well
    05-02-09 11:11 AM
    I agree about the govt part.
    So while there is potentially that freedom
    to put any phone on any network.
    It will boil down to how much the carriers want
    to open up their networks.
    Aerospace huh LR; wow.
    I think u might be pretty high on the food
    chain as well
    Nope just a rep on the phones. Nice brake from my past life. I have opertunity go up, but I choose not to. I make good money and do my 8 hours and go home.
    05-02-09 11:26 AM
    THat is part of LTE it will work internationally. Even Vodaphone the largest carrier in europe is going to it
    Right, even today we have international roaming capability with gsm but it costs, with wifi you find a hotspot and your set with little or no money out of your pocket.
    05-02-09 11:30 AM
    my technical knowledge is limited in this area, however, I did hear from a reliable source that this will not be the case despite LTE being very promising.

Nothing in future developement can beat a solid wifi connection in speed up/downstream
    Who told you that? Verizon is getting real world speeds of 50-60MBPS. That's about three times five times faster then comcast/cox
    05-02-09 12:49 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD