05-02-09 12:49 PM
35 12
tools
    According to Verizon reps, in a story in the NY Times, Verizon will be deploying a new network in 2010.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/te...exprod=myyahoo

In a recent quarterly conference call with investors, Tim Cook, Apples chief operating officer, cast some doubt on the prospect of an imminent deal with Verizon. He said that Apple was wary of building a phone for a network using C.D.M.A. technology which Verizons current network uses because, Mr. Cook said, the C.D.M.A. infrastructure may have a short life span.

Verizon, however, is moving to a new network in 2010 that would not rely on C.D.M.A technology. Verizon has said previously that even as it deploys its new network, it plans to retain its C.D.M.A. network for a time to transmit voice communications.
    Does anybody have further info on this development at this point? What kind of network, etc.?
    04-29-09 11:21 AM
    04-29-09 11:28 AM
    Interesting reading TP, thank you.

It raises another question now though; Will the Storm be LTE compatible, or is it a just a matter of the firmware?
    04-29-09 11:43 AM
    Interesting reading TP, thank you.

It raises another question now though; Will the Storm be LTE compatible, or is it a just a matter of the firmware?
    I will go out on a limb and say Storm2 will be LTE compatible....
    Has to be since VZW LTE network should be fully implemented or close to it
    by 2012....
    04-29-09 11:59 AM
    The 9530 is not compatible in "Global" mode? I've searched and haven't really been able to find out much about the Storms "Global" mode...
    04-29-09 01:26 PM
    The 9530 is not compatible in "Global" mode? I've searched and haven't really been able to find out much about the Storms "Global" mode...
    The global mode says it works on cdma and gsm. It will not work on lte.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 03:44 PM
    Unless I have misread or misremembered there is not a phone in existence that is compatible with lte yet

04-29-09 08:04 PM
    Unless I have misread or misremembered there is not a phone in existence that is compatible with lte yet

I am sure there is something that exists, remember there is a test market with VZW, the only way to test is to have a capable device
    04-29-09 08:07 PM
    I will go out on a limb and say Storm2 will be LTE compatible....
    Has to be since VZW LTE network should be fully implemented or close to it
    by 2012....
    if the storm 2 was compatible with LTE, had wifi and full GPS capability, then this phone would be the investment of all investments!
    04-29-09 08:08 PM
    May as well just call it the 'iphone network'
    04-30-09 07:56 AM
    Far as I know there are no publically released LTE phones, but one would have to imagine there are test usits out to the Carriers.
    04-30-09 08:17 AM
    basically the LTE network, which has been dubbed 4G, is supposed to be launched 2010 from what they have been telling us.

and i heard nasty rumors about verizon in talks with apple about making an "iphone lite" as well as some sort of "media pad"

but as it was said earlier a Storm 2 on LTE would be siiiiiick.
    04-30-09 08:22 AM
    basically the LTE network, which has been dubbed 4G, is supposed to be launched 2010 from what they have been telling us.

and i heard nasty rumors about verizon in talks with apple about making an "iphone lite" as well as some sort of "media pad"

but as it was said earlier a Storm 2 on LTE would be siiiiiick.
    Thats why I also think Appl wants to get this done as well because they know VZW will be leading the way with LTE. Now as PCK said to his knowledge there are no LTE units available. But probably some test units.
    Logically if u were a cell phone company and u knew you were gonna
    be starting a new network. Wouldn't u make sure at least your flagship
    phone would be LTE compatible. Remember LTE capable phones will be backward compatible; meaning will be able to run on CDMA as well.
    But the older units will not be forward compatible.
    If u have any questions go to those threads I lniked in here above.
    I am sitting pat with VZW and hopefully I can restrain myself from
    buying anything new til at least the beginning of next year.....
    Ohhhhhh the agony
    04-30-09 09:08 AM
    so the ideal would be for Verizon to launch LTE with 2 flagship devices

a blackberry (Storm 2!?)

an apple device

LTE will be epic
    04-30-09 10:01 AM
    so the ideal would be for Verizon to launch LTE with 2 flagship devices

a blackberry (Storm 2!?)

an apple device

LTE will be epic

Yup u said it I agree totally; that is why I am staying put.......
    04-30-09 10:25 AM
    I spoke with a "higher up" at VZW a few months back about LTE and it will be amazing. On top of the coverage getting even better with LTE and Alltel towers in use it will also open up a whole new game for the phones. We all know GSM phones are cheaper too so it gives the option for some more inexpensive nice phones
    04-30-09 11:22 PM
    I spoke with a "higher up" at VZW a few months back about LTE and it will be amazing. On top of the coverage getting even better with LTE and Alltel towers in use it will also open up a whole new game for the phones. We all know GSM phones are cheaper too so it gives the option for some more inexpensive nice phones
    Know this if I remember correctly; it will be a mix of CDMA and LTE is fully implemented. But a GSM phone will not be able to run on VZW's network.
    LTE is a whole different network it will be neither CDMA or GSM.
    04-30-09 11:43 PM
    The technological advances behind LTE are only half the story, the legal issues are going to be monumental. The band will be "Open Access", meaning in loose terms, that any company can make a device that runs on it.

The carriers will no longer have the power they have now over hardware. This is good news; RIM, Google or Apple can develop a device that works on LTE, VZW cannot deny access to that device, providing it lives up to the guidelines put forth. Obviously this is a simplified version of the legalities but it will open the wireless hardware marketplace to a level never before seen. Good news for the consumer.

The 700MHz spectrum, which will carry the new network, has not been fully cleared yet so testing will be on a limited level until June 12th. After that we should see aggressive development.
    05-01-09 12:46 AM
    The technological advances behind LTE are only half the story, the legal issues are going to be monumental. The band will be "Open Access", meaning in loose terms, that any company can make a device that runs on it.

The carriers will no longer have the power they have now over hardware. This is good news; RIM, Google or Apple can develop a device that works on LTE, VZW cannot deny access to that device, providing it lives up to the guidelines put forth. Obviously this is a simplified version of the legalities but it will open the wireless hardware marketplace to a level never before seen. Good news for the consumer.

The 700MHz spectrum, which will carry the new network, has not been fully cleared yet so testing will be on a limited level until June 12th. After that we should see aggressive development.
    I am not arguing here, but I think that is called opened development as well. Now I know that VZW will not just open their network without that device being approved. Akso with the approval of a device means you can activate the device, but do not expect VZW tech to support it. now am I way off base here?
    05-01-09 07:38 AM
    No, you're pretty much right on. The Open Development Initiative is VZW's way of making the FCC's conditions on the spectrum "their own". If you can't fight them, join them kinda thing. It's a good initiative.

The support issue has not been ironed out yet, as far as I know. I would guess they will have to give some kind of support, maybe just related to connectivity. In either case, we are in for an interesting ride for the next several years.
    Last edited by crisd; 05-01-09 at 08:04 AM.
    05-01-09 07:57 AM
    gotta love the city hall syndrome.
    05-01-09 07:58 AM
    If the guidelines are standard set in concrete by the FCC there should be no problem. But if they are left upp to the interpretation of the company there lies the problem.
    FCC should standarddize phone guidelines
    Much like IEEE standardizes; communications cabling guidelines.
    Then no problem it works for the consumer.
    05-01-09 08:51 AM
    Government in general does not work this way. They will generate guidelines that set requirements. Carriers will write and implement their own procedures and policies that meet those guidelines that get approved by the government.

The government will and should never tell business how to run their business. I know this first hand from being in aerospace for 20 years.
    05-01-09 09:10 AM
    The three main point the FCC wants is, open device policy, open application policy and a reasonable testing process (I thing four weeks is the magic number). Testing cost is the big variable here.

You can read VZW's version here:

https://www22.verizon.com/opendev/faq.aspx#Answer2
    05-01-09 09:26 AM
    if the storm 2 was compatible with LTE, had wifi and full GPS capability, then this phone would be the investment of all investments!
    You will not need wifi on LTE. LTE will probably be faster than most cable connections.
    05-02-09 03:57 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD