Is there a problem with my phone? I have an 8530 with Verizon and the data service is extremely delayed. I installed the BerryBuzz app and have it set to blink when I have no radio or data connection.... This light blinks multiple times a day. If I am BBM'ing,the messages can be delayed anywhere from 3-20 minutes. This has been happening over a month now. I have found myself doing battery pulls everyday and it doesn't help. Also have done the *228 update several times. I am in the Boston area and usually have 4-5 bars of service so I'm in a great service area. I have the 5.0.886 OS running.

Ugh like right now... I was in the middle of a BBM chat and the last message I sent was 17 minutes ago and it still hasn't gone through. I also know the person i'm chatting with isn't on a phone call or anything.

It's getting really frustrating, any suggestions?
    10-07-10 01:17 PM
    Stop using a Blackberry. Verizon's data service works just fine. BBM relies on Tom's network and has gone steeply downhill over the last 3 years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 02:11 PM
    Stop using a Blackberry. Verizon's data service works just fine. BBM relies on RIMs network and has gone steeply downhill over the last 3 years.

10-07-10 02:12 PM
    Stop using a Blackberry. Verizon's data service works just fine. BBM relies on RIMs network and has gone steeply downhill over the last 3 years.

wow! that's really helpful! Good thing you posted it twice. You're definitely a shoe-in for today's ID10T award.

@OP have you called CS? I don't have delays.
    Last edited by plkcable; 10-07-10 at 03:32 PM.
    10-07-10 02:17 PM
    I'm not noticing anything either. What do you have next to your signal strength? 1X, 1XEV, 1xev, etc.? Me I have 1XEV with three bards of signal strength.

@vatothe0, if all you are going to do is post to bash BB without acutually helping the OP then stay off the forum. My BB Messanger is running just fine. I get the checkmark then the D next to the checkmark a few seconds after I deliver the message.
    10-07-10 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the replies. My signal strength says 3G with 5 bars.
    I have not tried calling them yet. I probably should since this has been happening for over a month now.
    10-07-10 02:40 PM
    I have not tried calling them yet. I probably should since this has been happening for over a month now.
    Definitely call. Just for sanity's sake....did you drop it or get it wet?
    10-07-10 02:41 PM
    Definitely call. Just for sanity's sake....did you drop it or get it wet?

Nope it hasn't been dropped or wet. I will call them. Thank you everyone.
    10-07-10 02:44 PM
    idtent award?

sorta loses its flair when you put it that way.

What is "tom's" network?
    10-07-10 03:03 PM
    +1 on calling CS. If you do not get the issue fixed with the first tech, don't give up. Tech support has been awesome, but at times I have had to call back and speak to a more seasoned tech. BBM has always worked well for me.
    10-07-10 04:37 PM
    I was having and still having data issues. Not with bbl but with web browsing. I was downloading a file and with full bars I was only downloading at 8.1kb/sec a freaking tmobile phone with GPRS would of downloaded it faster. I am disappointed with that.

10-14-10 10:19 AM
    I spent some time in the Boston area a couple of weeks ago and experienced *no* issues on Verizon's network with my Droid 2. I wonder if they're having some issues with their BB server. The majority of speed tests I ran while in the Salem, Marblehead, and Boston area even resulted in download speeds showing right around or over 1mbps. The problem you're experiencing is definitely not the network, at least 9/28 through 10/4 when I was there.

For what it's worth, your curve may be part of the problem. The 8530 and 8330 curves are both EVDO Rev 0. Devices like Tour, Bold, Storm 2, and my Droid 2 are EVDO Rev A, which is a faster spec.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-14-10 at 05:42 PM.
    10-14-10 05:32 PM
    Maybe a part of the software bug that vzw is aware of with BB. The droid 2 has the fewest dropped calls lag of data and return rate of any vzw phone in the lineup. I really hope they hurry up and fix it. I'm getting more and more pissed with them everyday. I have had to call them everyday for the past 6 days about issues. NOT GOOD!!!! If I have to call 1 more time I swear I'm leaving to Boost Mobile, and down grade to a curve 2. Unless they can activate my bold. Which I doubt.

10-14-10 07:36 PM
    Well also I know you're going to call but just two things you should know, other service providers are the same if not slower and just because you are in high service doesn't mean a lot of other people aren't using verizon data in your area, they could be eating up all your data.
    10-14-10 07:43 PM
    In my time with Sprint or even Boost before it became cdma mix and iden. I never had a issue very bad. My net speeds on cdma were always the fastest. In my area I know there are ery little verizon users. I would have to go about a mile west to get quite a few. I know everyone out in my area and they all have tmobile or att. Metro and boost in last. But maybe your right with the data, all those ppl in the west using it. But my thing is I know no company is perfect. No phone is perfect. But if your always promoting your the "best" and "better" than x company, at least be able to back it up. I will say vzw has coverage by far everywhere I have been and far better than att. But sometimes the data speeds kill me. Full bars and slow speeds.

10-14-10 08:00 PM
    For what it's worth, your curve may be part of the problem. The 8530 and 8330 curves are both EVDO Rev 0. Devices like Tour, Bold, Storm 2, and my Droid 2 are EVDO Rev A, which is a faster spec.
    I don't think that difference is going to make a BBM take 15 minutes longer...
    10-14-10 08:07 PM
    I don't think that difference is going to make a BBM take 15 minutes longer...
    I am well aware that there is some other problem on the network specific to the extremely long bbm lag or any of that, and that the rev 0 vs rev a doesn't come into play for that.

I said that simply to explain why the OP's curve might feel slower on the network, in terms of slower overall downloads and browsing, but not long delays and other issues. Sorry for not clarifying.

The network itself is fast, the regular device portion other smartphones use anyway. I'd be surprised if the issue isn't somewhere in the BB specific hardware on the network, etc.

You may wish to call customer service and have them issue a troubleshooting ticket to see if there's actually a problem.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-14-10 at 09:22 PM.
    10-14-10 09:18 PM
    Maybe a part of the software bug that vzw is aware of with BB. The droid 2 has the fewest dropped calls lag of data and return rate of any vzw phone in the lineup. I really hope they hurry up and fix it. I'm getting more and more pissed with them everyday. I have had to call them everyday for the past 6 days about issues. NOT GOOD!!!! If I have to call 1 more time I swear I'm leaving to Boost Mobile, and down grade to a curve 2. Unless they can activate my bold. Which I doubt.

OP said slow download not dropped calls. I rarely get dropped calls. Maybe one a month over 1400 minutes.
    10-15-10 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD