What is the difference between the 2 data plans from Verizon for a blackberry. There is one for around 30 dollars and one for around 45 dollars. Does the cheaper one have unlimited data usage. I'm afraid to open up youtube or slacker.
    02-10-09 04:59 PM
    The $35 plan is unlimited BIS (personal) the $45 plan is unlimited
    BES (corporate)

BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service
    BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    02-10-09 05:08 PM
    I am new to blackberry. I don't know the difference. I'll google it unless someone wants to explain.
    02-10-09 05:09 PM
    BES is usually when you have a phone through your company. BIS is when you are just an individual with a Blackberry. It is unlimited internet.
    02-10-09 05:13 PM
    So from what I understand, I don't need the BES stuff. I simply want to know if I can stream videos and radio over slacker without being raped with extra charges. I currently have the 29.99 plan, which was blackberry web and email. Does this sound right?
    02-10-09 05:13 PM
    Wonderful. Thanks stormy.
    02-10-09 05:14 PM
    not more to say there 30 dollar plan is all you need unless you use it for corporate use. 30 dollars gets you unlimited use in on all data uses.
    02-10-09 05:15 PM
    thanks for the quick replies guys. I am already listening to slacker radio per this thread
    02-10-09 05:18 PM
    you should also know that Verizon isn't completely honest. Their unlimited data plans have a 5gb cap. You will never use that much but I just wanted to let you know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 05:23 PM
    you should also know that Verizon isn't completely honest. Their unlimited data plans have a 5gb cap. You will never use that much but I just wanted to let you know.

It's a soft cap, they don't charge you if you go over, they just say they might cancel your account. First time generally they just warn you. 5GBs is alot too, I'm a heavy user and I don't even come close.
    02-10-09 05:27 PM
    From what I heard the 5gb cap is if you tether your phone (connect it to a computer and use as a modem); the BB data plan should be unlim, no caps.

02-10-09 08:40 PM
    would they block you if you download third-party apps from a basic data plan or have u download it and rape u with charges after? i would like a warning at least so i know lol
    05-29-09 03:54 PM
    The data plan covers your use of data. Unlimited on teh device. IF there are any additional charges, say for the software or subscriptions for the use of it, that would be charge by the software vendor. Except for VZnav which I know has a 9.88 per month charge.
    05-29-09 04:08 PM
    To further explain - BES is ONLY for when you need to connect to your company's BES - a server solution which costs thousands of dollars. It allows your company to administer your phone & monitor everything you do on your device.

I strongly recommend against connecting to a BES using a personal device.

05-29-09 04:16 PM
    it's still somewhat complicating.. the verizon guy told me that based on my basic data plan i could only download apps that aren't third party.. which doesn't make sense cause most of the apps on Blackberry Appworld are third-party apps?
    05-29-09 05:07 PM
    You can D/L third party apps. The carrier will not support them if you have a problem.
    05-29-09 05:17 PM
    As mentioned above, you should be able to do anything you want using your UNLIMITED DATA. You can download 3rd party programs and install them. You can look up google information and visit any site - it's all just a form of data. Some 3rd party programs are free and you can download and use them without any additional costs. Some programs may cost you to purchase but then you can use them freely.

For instance, here's a gps program (you may need a bluetooth puck): GPSLogger Homepage - 100% free Software for BlackBerry Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher

and here's the direct ota to download to your phone using the browser:

GPSLogger Download

But you could download and use it for free or you can offer the guy some funds voluntarily.

If nothing else download it just to see it can be done. You can delete it later if you don't want it.
    05-29-09 05:22 PM
    thanks for the quick responses! i guess the verizon rep was just referring to the apps that are not free of charge.
    05-29-09 05:28 PM
    it's still somewhat complicating.. the verizon guy told me that based on my basic data plan i could only download apps that aren't third party.. which doesn't make sense cause most of the apps on Blackberry Appworld are third-party apps?

you can download whatever applications you want but they may or may not work...

If there storm specific apps they will more then likely work.

You don't need a BES plan in order to download specific apps you just need at minimum a BIS plan the 29.99

the BES plan simply allows for connection to a corporate server
    05-29-09 05:38 PM
    I have the same question but I am wondering my VZ is charging me 6.99 for data usage... WTH???
    10-25-09 11:05 PM
    I have the same question but I am wondering my VZ is charging me 6.99 for data usage... WTH???
    We would have to see the bill... but there should be a breakdown of what they are for on the bill
    10-25-09 11:11 PM
    Yeah cause data may not be MB usage. Might be sms/mms/psms/apps n such. Bill should break it down. You'll most likely have to use the online bill bc ur paper bill is summery billing. Whole shabang online.

10-26-09 03:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD