First off I wanna say i'm new here and just got my blackberry the other day. I go to college and only work weekends so my parents pay for my phone bill. We have the unlimited data plan for verizon and i had some concerns. Does that include unlimited GPS? I dont think im asking the question right because i couldnt find any answers on google. What i mean is like i have the app poynt and it uses the gps i think. will i have to pay more for this? also does the unlimited data cover AIm or is that through texting?

Sorry for the wall-o-text but im really concerned about this i dont want my parents getting a ginormous bill.

Thanks

-vitto
    04-02-09 11:36 PM
    GPS use (separate from data use) is NOT necessarily included with your BB. Verizon locks up the gps in their units except the new Storm. You can pay $10/month and get Verizon Navigator. With the newest OS 4.5, I believe your unit will use BBMaps and the data will NOT cost any extra.

The other option is to purchase a separate bluetooth gps puck (see the gps subforum or the accessory subforum) and it will also the BB to use the UNlimited data from Verizon to work with Poynt and a number of other gps programs.

You can also use GoogleMaps and DATA for free but without a gps, google trianulates your location use cell tower information. For many people that is sufficient. I can't recall if Poynt can do that, too.

I am not familiar with texting.....but with verizon, I know that is also separate costs.
    04-02-09 11:58 PM
    i see...but i have a curve 8330 does that mean i will be charged extra for using poynt? sorry if this seems stupid but my parents pay enough with college n stuff
    04-03-09 12:03 AM
    You aren't going to be charged more, it simply won't work. On Curve, only BB Maps works with VZW unless you buy a GPS puck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 12:07 AM
    oh ok thanks a bunch didn't know about that GPS lock thingy.

Really appreciate it =D
    04-03-09 12:09 AM
    As mentioned, messaging (SMS, MMS) isn't included with the Blackberry email/data plan.

So if you already have a messaging plan you are covered. If not, you might want to add one.

04-03-09 12:22 AM
    i see...but i have a curve 8330 does that mean i will be charged extra for using poynt? sorry if this seems stupid but my parents pay enough with college n stuff
    If you have a non-Storm verizon device. Poynt should work though its cell-site discovery.
    04-04-09 09:56 AM
    You said your family has unlimited data plan. I was told this does NOT cover blackberry usage. So unless you have BIS setup data usage is billed per mb.

As for aol, the app included on your curve will use data not sms. If you setup mobile aol then it will use sms.

There are several threads about aol and sms versus data with a better explanation of how to set this up if you need it.

04-04-09 10:20 AM
    gps is a sepeate 10 dollar serivce you have to pay for and it blows. the gps is wicked slow. save the 10 bucks and go buy a gps at the store
    04-04-09 11:33 AM
    gps is a sepeate 10 dollar serivce you have to pay for and it blows. the gps is wicked slow. save the 10 bucks and go buy a gps at the store
    To some extent I would have to agree. For turn-by-turn directions and on-the-spot recalculations, the transfer of data from the phone to the "home port" and then back can be slow to the point of being ineffective. The phone has to inform HOME of where you are, the maps then have to be downloaded back to the phone and then a new route recalculated. Just driving home, if I miss the turn Verizon Navigator first suggested, I can pass at least three other left-turn options before I get the new route posted. When you know generally where you are this is not really a problem. And if you can cruise slowly while it is recalcing a route, that's not bad. But "at speed" it can be a problem. But it is clearly better than nothing and if you can pull over and give it a chance to figure out where you are, it works.

It also works well on longer drives involving freeways where it does inform in a timely manner, it is just more of a problem when you are now in an urban situation and miss a turn.

Standalone gps units have the maps and calc ability ON-BOARD and so calc much, much quicker, at least, from my experience. The issue with standalone units becomes older maps and determining whether to get newer maps. Also out in the boonies data may not exist and then standalone is the only way for routing info (mapping/location can be done with some apps, offline)

But "newer" maps may still be months old for both standalone and BB-mapping type solutions. No company can keep up in growing/changing areas.

My Tom-tom beats my 8830 mapping in route calcs. But my tom-tom cannot browse the web and find a random restaurant and then get me there, altho, Tomtom does have points-of-interest and can dial them through my BB. There summer, finding a Starbucks was TomTom's job but once we hit the shopping center, it was "where the heck now??" and my Tomtom dialed my BB and we asked for detailed directions.... A nice combo for my desparate caffeine deprived companion - she was duly impressed.

Tradeoffs is the name of the game.
    Last edited by F2; 04-04-09 at 12:10 PM.
    04-04-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD