Anyone else's Verizon z10's data gone up ridiculously fast this month? I'm just curious because my data went up 0.7gb in a day! And I was on wifi for most of it!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 07:25 PM
    Anyone else's Verizon z10's data gone up ridiculously fast this month? I'm just curious because my data went up 0.7gb in a day! And I was on wifi for most of it!

Posted via CB10
    Hi and welcome to CrackBerry!!
    I know that my data went up when I was away for a few days and used the phone like a laptop.. The total used for the month was kinda high. But some people here are saying that they noticed an extra large chunk of data being used on certain days and always around .5or .7 gb. I don't recall what they did to stop the problem. SO i am going to go research and see where the original thread is to help you!!

here is one thread about it:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-data-812573/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-night-776653/

still looking for the one I meant tho.

Something they all mention is to check your usage everyday to see which apps are using your data.
    ALso do you use Facebook and check out photos? As you do that you are using large chunks of data to bring the photos to you.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 06-09-13 at 08:01 PM.
    06-09-13 07:39 PM
    Perhaps it is not the phone but Verizon's tool? You are using the My Verizon Mobile app? Or not? The data reported is not real time. It is a compiled report.
    06-09-13 08:01 PM
    Okay thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:05 PM
    Exactly the reason I paid full price for my Z10
    06-09-13 09:53 PM
    Same thing happened to me today. One day at home on wifi and .76gb used! My wife used only .03gb on her iPhone. I have no idea what's going on. At this rate we'll be through our 4gb in a week.
    06-09-13 10:47 PM
    I know it's crazy! Must be a Verizon problem or something

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 10:55 PM
    "...Something they all mention is to check your usage everyday to see which apps are using your data..."

How do you check which app is using how much data & when? Where is that information??

Thanks

Posted via ZB10
    06-09-13 11:41 PM
    I'm definitely seeing an increase in data use on my Z10 over my legacy BB device, but on average still under 1 gb per device (we have two Z10s on our shared plan). It definitely sounds like something is eating up data on your device, unless it has to do with your coverage area? But that shouldn't apply to data use so I'm not sure.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    06-10-13 12:00 AM
    If you go online into your account, under Data Usage, you can see the log; it can be sorted by date & time, I have a lot of activities between midnight & dawn, some to the tune of over 120 megs!!!!!!

Well, Verizon did comply with the Government to let them look at our data. Wonder if they like all the pictures I have. Hope so.

Posted via ZB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-10-13 12:09 AM
    I sent 3 emails in the past two days. I haven't checked facebook or Twitter. I haven't done anything else requiring data. 1.6 gb in two days. Something is terribly wrong.

No new apps. I've even deleted some that I've used recently. Nothing is working. Data is still pouring out.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:21 PM
    Sounds like a virus.
    06-10-13 08:32 PM
    I sent 3 emails in the past two days. I haven't checked facebook or Twitter. I haven't done anything else requiring data. 1.6 gb in two days. Something is terribly wrong.

No new apps. I've even deleted some that I've used recently. Nothing is working. Data is still pouring out.

Posted via CB10
    Not that I use twitter, but is it updating feeds your subscribed to? Same with Facebook?
    06-11-13 07:29 AM
    if you are using BOX or DROPBOX, make sure they are configure to synch over WIFI only
    00stryder likes this.
    06-11-13 06:03 PM
    Carriers that don't let you choose your data network technology really irk me. I have about 20 posts about it, but here I go again: I want to turn LTE of and of at will. I don't need some process going nuts at 40Mbps; I'd far prefer to "cruise" at 3G/1XEV.

Fighter pilots don't always fly on afterburners.

I have just taken to leaving data services set to off most of the time. This way there are no questions. If I am out of WiFi range (rare) and I need data, I'll switch it on. A bit of a hassle, but that's certainly not my worst first world problem. :-P

(yes, I know I can go to the engineering screens and override, but that's an even bigger hassle.)
    06-12-13 06:58 PM
    Called Verizon. They said that a few of the newer iphones had a similar problem. I'm typing this on the certified used replacement they sent me. Same apps and settings, much less data.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 11:11 PM
    I'm experimenting with the 64g SD card out and no files on the device; I also turned off data services until I check mail, the data spike slowed but still abnormal. Between dawn & noon today I went from 300+ Megs used to over 500 megs. I also have no idea how I got to the first 300 megs in the first place, I just started new billing cycle on Monday.

Turning off data services as default definitely helped.

Posted via ZB10
    david42545 likes this.
    06-22-13 12:37 AM
    I figure I'll put this out here in case you're still having issues... I haven't had this particular issue but once or twice with any of my BB10 devices, but with 7.0 & 7.1 particularly with my tenure on the 9930 I had a annoying issue with DNS resolution when using WiFi. I've heard of others that had the same issue as well, but it was nothing widespread or anything, I never cared to track down the root cause, but my point is this if the BlackBerry device is connected to WiFi and the DNS servers being assigned to the device are causing resolution issues for the device which maybe trying to contact an update server or what have you, if the resolution fails the device will force traffic over the data connection which links you to the carrier.

This can just happen with mobile phones in general... Although some OSes might have better abilities to prevent the flow of information that cascades from happening. Apps also affect this majorly, the more apps the more something like this would be plausible...

Anyway this does happen in the wild, is this your issue?, maybe/maybe not, there's not an overwhelming amount of tech-driven information in here, but that is the best I can offer up at this time. I can tell you however that BlackBerry USA's insinuation this has anything to do with Usage Data is nutz in my humblest of opinions of course
    06-22-13 06:05 PM
    I'm definitely seeing an increase in data use on my Z10 over my legacy BB device, but on average still under 1 gb per device (we have two Z10s on our shared plan). It definitely sounds like something is eating up data on your device, unless it has to do with your coverage area? But that shouldn't apply to data use so I'm not sure.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    That is normal since you went from a BIS device to a non-BIS which compresses data anywhere from 3:1 to 10:1, depending on the feature or data function. Using a Telus BB data compression chart, it looks like my data usage with my 9930 will probably go from 1 or 2gb to around 6 or 7gb with a BB10 phone.
    06-23-13 10:20 PM