Ok.. so I searched on this topic and couldn't find an answer. Here we go. I heard on the news that you can call your service provider and negotiate a price discount. Is this true and if so do I just call Customer Service?
    05-13-09 04:55 PM
    Define "negotiate a price discount".......what do you mean? Monthly? A one time thing?
    05-13-09 05:01 PM
    Define "negotiate a price discount".......what do you mean? Monthly? A one time thing?
    More of a monthly thing. They said it was possible to get 5-12 dollars off per month. (CNN) Is it true? Thank you
    05-13-09 05:16 PM
    I've never heard of it but it wouldnt shock me. Call up customer care and mention ATT and they're falling all over themselves to hook you up to prevent churn. I've gotten quite a few emails complaining that care is hamstringing reps in stores.
    05-13-09 05:45 PM
    I've never heard of it but it wouldnt shock me. Call up customer care and mention ATT and they're falling all over themselves to hook you up to prevent churn. I've gotten quite a few emails complaining that care is hamstringing reps in stores.
    Thanks for the advise! I'll have to give it a try soon.
    05-13-09 05:55 PM
    I find this very hard to believe as base prices are already set. Only thing I see possible is free months of navigator or something like that...
    05-13-09 06:08 PM
    I'm with RicanMedic on this one. The prices are set in stone, you can't get a monthly discount on features or plans without some sort of corporate/employee discount ( ie. if you work for FedEx you can qualify for a XX% discount on monthly access ). But if you don't qualify for any type of discounting, a customer service rep will just tell you they can't change the price. But, like Rican said, they may offer you something for free... But, if you don't "deserve" it, it's highly unlikely.
    05-13-09 06:17 PM
    I'm with RicanMedic on this one. The prices are set in stone, you can't get a monthly discount on features or plans without some sort of corporate/employee discount ( ie. if you work for FedEx you can qualify for a XX% discount on monthly access ). But if you don't qualify for any type of discounting, a customer service rep will just tell you they can't change the price. But, like Rican said, they may offer you something for free... But, if you don't "deserve" it, it's highly unlikely.
    Thank you guys for all your help. I called and I do qualify for a discount. So, I will get 8 bucks off my data plan!
    05-13-09 06:22 PM
    More of a monthly thing. They said it was possible to get 5-12 dollars off per month. (CNN) Is it true? Thank you
    You could become a rich soul by simply betting that anything CNN says isn't true or isn't fully true. Yellow journalism, through & through.

Now I could see negotiating with some of the resellers who deal with credit risks, but doing it with any carrier would be like heading to the grocery store & trying to negotiate for that box of Cap'n Crunch or trying to strike a deal with ConEd over your power bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 06:23 PM
    Thank you guys for all your help. I called and I do qualify for a discount. So, I will get 8 bucks off my data plan!
    Sweet! Congratulations! You never know, unless you try, right
    05-13-09 06:25 PM
    You could become a rich soul by simply betting that anything CNN says isn't true or isn't fully true. Yellow journalism, through & through.

Now I could see negotiating with some of the resellers who deal with credit risks, but doing it with any carrier would be like heading to the grocery store & trying to negotiate for that box of Cap'n Crunch or trying to strike a deal with ConEd over your power bill.

Very helpful example and funny thanks!
    05-13-09 06:29 PM
    Sweet! Congratulations! You never know, unless you try, right
    Yup, thank you for all your help! This is why I love Crackberry, you can always ask a question and get help.
    05-13-09 06:30 PM
    Wow, I might as well give it a try!!
    05-13-09 06:37 PM
    Wow, I might as well give it a try!!
    You might as well. Good luck! Please note however that I got the discount through an employee discount through work but the rep said that sometimes they are willing to take a few bucks off. (Not sure how accurate a rep is though)
    05-13-09 06:42 PM
    Aha - you caught me. You got a discount you didn't know you qualified for & didn't need to negotiate. Nice work and a reminder that there are often discounts (employer, school, etc.) that people don't know about.

What we need is a discount for CB users. Enter your Crackberry email & qualify for a discount. Unless, of course, you're RM & need to collect the discount from non-VZW carriers to cover the bill increase from VZW.

05-13-09 06:43 PM
    I haven't seen the article, but guess they may have been talking about discounts based on working somewhere?
    05-13-09 06:44 PM
    Aha - you caught me. You got a discount you didn't know you qualified for & didn't need to negotiate. Nice work and a reminder that there are often discounts (employer, school, etc.) that people don't know about.

What we need is a discount for CB users. Enter your Crackberry email & qualify for a discount. Unless, of course, you're RM & need to collect the discount from non-VZW carriers to cover the bill increase from VZW.

I'm sorry but I got the discount through an employee discount (5 bucks) but he took away another 3 to make it 8. So, I guess he combined both? You never know, you just gotta try. I totally agree with the CB discounts though. We're most of the ones keeping RIM going!
    05-13-09 06:46 PM
    I haven't seen the article, but guess they may have been talking about discounts based on working somewhere?
    I think you're correct in what they meant to say. However, the Rep I spoke to applied more of an employee discount (percent) to make the data plan 3 dollars cheaper than it had to be. We'll see if it's true on my bill though. Sometimes Reps say things that are wrong as we know from some of the Storm forum posts that I've read
    05-13-09 06:48 PM
    I'm sorry but I got the discount through an employee discount (5 bucks) but he took away another 3 to make it 8. So, I guess he combined both? You never know, you just gotta try. I totally agree with the CB discounts though. We're most of the ones keeping RIM going!
    Maybe there was a phone discount and a data discount. Hard to tell as I am not in sales/billing fir VZW.

05-13-09 07:00 PM
    Maybe there was a phone discount and a data discount. Hard to tell as I am not in sales/billing fir VZW.

I honestly do not know how on earth he did it but he did so I wish an others who try the best of luck.
    05-13-09 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD