10-20-11 07:10 PM
65 123
tools
    Not defensive??? LMAO. Look all I gave was MY opinion to the excessive data usage. I know all the technical X's and O's yada yada.

But in the end I can still have MY opinion on the subject. Just like it is YOUR opinion if you wanna say that people that use under 2GB, doesn't know how to use their smartphone. I wouldn't argue with you on it, because (wait for it) IT IS YOUR OPINION!

You can continue to debate MY OPINION all you like, that is YOUR PREROGATIVE. Deuces.
    I agree that I can't argue your opinion or views.

However, there is a difference between fact and opinion.

Are you saying BlackBerry phones do no compress data?

I am saying they do, hence why the same usage on say, an iPhone, uses more data.

Here's one of a whole lot of discussion about it.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, or that one platform user spends more time than the other, or doesn't, or blah blah.

I'm saying that one of the main reasons Android and iPhone users use more data than BlackBerry users is because that data Is not compressed like BlackBerry.

I'm not sure why you're denying that fact. It just is.

Someone Android users use 1GB and some BlackBerry users use 5GB. It happens but generally is not common.

iPhone data

Android Data

So I'm saying that using both BlackBerry and Android, I use the devices the same amount of time, for the same things. One device consumes more data. Because of how that data is handled, not because of the length of time spent using it. That's all I'm saying.

Your opinion is fine. Some use their device more than others. That is true. But also, some devices use more data than others. Not to do with length of time spent. Not sure why you'd think I was defensive as your opinion about me personally is meaningless really.

My overall point was, since I know I'm not in the top 5% of heavy data users, I'm not concerned with being throttled. There are users who use way more, and a lot of them, that I don't think I'll ever be throttle for using 5GB/month. In BlackBerry World, yes 2GB is a lot of data. In all other platforms, it is not. It is average most likely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-19-11 at 12:41 PM.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-19-11 09:17 AM
    You also wouldn't have to be concerned since you have a 4G device Chrisy...
    09-19-11 12:11 PM
    I agree with you chrisy, BB's certainly do compress data and it's to better utilize their server side, helps to increase speed also. If this didn't happen we certainly wouldn't hear about the RIM outages as that would be a moot point. All one needs to do is use a BB for a while and then any other device, and android may be the biggest data hogs with what they run behind the scenes all the time. I used a BB 9650 for a year before switching to an android device and I'm seeing about 33% more data usage now doing the same tasks. In any case as far as whether we will be throttled or not I guess we'll find out. I thought I was throttled the other day, but never received any notice of any kind, so possible it was a diff reason for the slow down. Time will tell as to how this will play out.
    09-19-11 12:18 PM
    You also wouldn't have to be concerned since you have a 4G device Chrisy...
    If only I have 4G coverage. Hurry up, VZW.
    09-19-11 12:43 PM
    I agree that I can't argue your opinion or views.

However, there is a difference between fact and opinion.

Are you saying BlackBerry phones do no compress data?

I am saying they do, hence why the same usage on say, an iPhone, uses more data.

Here's one of a whole lot of discussion about it.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, or that one platform user spends more time than the other, or doesn't, or blah blah.

I'm saying that one of the main reasons Android and iPhone users use more data than BlackBerry users is because that data Is not compressed like BlackBerry.

I'm not sure why you're denying that fact. It just is.

Someone Android users use 1GB and some BlackBerry users use 5GB. It happens but generally is not common.

iPhone data

Android Data

So I'm saying that using both BlackBerry and Android, I use the devices the same amount of time, for the same things. One device consumes more data. Because of how that data is handled, not because of the length of time spent using it. That's all I'm saying.

Your opinion is fine. Some use their device more than others. That is true. But also, some devices use more data than others. Not to do with length of time spent. Not sure why you'd think I was defensive as your opinion about me personally is meaningless really.

My overall point was, since I know I'm not in the top 5% of heavy data users, I'm not concerned with being throttled. There are users who use way more, and a lot of them, that I don't think I'll ever be throttle for using 5GB/month. In BlackBerry World, yes 2GB is a lot of data. In all other platforms, it is not. It is average most likely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What am I supposed to be denying? You keep bringing up BB data usage. I don't have a BB. I never said or categorized any platform as using more data than the other. YOU KEEP SAYING THAT.

Like I said before, I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE IN GENERAL. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE OF A CERTAIN PLATFORM. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT A PARTICULAR PHONE, CARRIER, OR OS.

ALL I AM STATING, WHICH ONCE AGAIN IS MY OPINION, THAT I FIND IT CRAZY THAT PEOPLE GO OVER 5GB A MONTH. I SAY THIS BECAUSE I KNOW PEOPLE WITH THE SAME OS'S THAT YOU KEEP BRINGING ALL THESE STATS ABOUT, AND WHEN I ASKED THEM TODAY AT WORK ALL OF THEM SAID THAT THEY DO NOT GO OVER 5GB A MONTH.

SO APPARENTLY WHEREEVER YOU ARE GETTING YOUR "FACTS" FROM DID NOT TALK TO MY CO-WORKERS.
    09-19-11 09:48 PM
    As of right now i have used 12 Gigs with 2 more weeks to go. But since im on 4G the throttling will not affect me.

Those 12gigs are mostly torrents.

Sent using SAMSUNG DROID CHARGE 4G LTE
    09-19-11 11:00 PM
    As of right now i have used 12 Gigs with 2 more weeks to go. But since im on 4G the throttling will not affect me.

Those 12gigs are mostly torrents.

Sent using SAMSUNG DROID CHARGE 4G LTE
    I'm at 7GB right now, mostly because I have used Google navigation and Slacker a whole lot this month.

I live in a 3G coverage area but travel to a 4G area about 20 minutes away.

Would the throttle occur only while I'm in the 3G coverage, or not at all because I have a 4G device. As far as I know, our data plans stayed the same.

I haven't experienced any data slow down, or heard of anyone who has. Will be interesting to see.
    09-20-11 06:53 AM
    The way it reads IMO is 3G no matter what the device or how it's used. So, yes your tbolt would be racking up the miles when on 3G. If you check your acct usage does it seperate the data or just show as one lump sum of data used?
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-20-11 at 09:52 AM.
    09-20-11 09:48 AM
    Would the throttle occur only while I'm in the 3G coverage, or not at all because I have a 4G device. As far as I know, our data plans stayed the same.

I haven't experienced any data slow down, or heard of anyone who has. Will be interesting to see.
    It's device based. They don't want to stunt LTE growth so they are giving them a temporary perk (pretty sure it won't last forever)...

Also it's a way to try and get people to switch plans to avoid throttling, which pushes you into tiered, so...
    09-20-11 01:08 PM
    Well, that's good for now.

We're screwed. 2GB is the threshold for so called "network optimization/throttling" - Android Forums

So, another reason to go with Blackberry or a 4G Android! IPhone, not so much!
    09-20-11 01:10 PM
    I love how carriers are always in a race to see who can be the worst... Should be interesting to see how AT&T eventually responds since they haven't done throttling yet.
    09-20-11 01:13 PM
    Yeah, it is annoying. It was like that at first with voice, then SMS, now data.

Wonder if Sprint will follow...
    09-20-11 01:15 PM
    It's device based. They don't want to stunt LTE growth so they are giving them a temporary perk (pretty sure it won't last forever)...

Also it's a way to try and get people to switch plans to avoid throttling, which pushes you into tiered, so...
    I was told by Verizon from the 611 call line person that anyone on unlimited data will be able to jump to unlimited 4G/LTE data plan when ever they upgrade. If this wasn't BS then I don't see a tiered plan in my future whenever I decide to get an LTE device. That was then, this is now, so maybe they lied.

I agree tho that nothing lasts forever and when the LTE gets overloaded things will continue to change.

I love how carriers are always in a race to see who can be the worst... Should be interesting to see how AT&T eventually responds since they haven't done throttling yet.
    Thought they were the ones who started this whole throttling concept.

I'm still waiting for my first text or whatever that says I'm a "heavy user" with my 3 to 4 GB a month.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-20-11 at 01:36 PM.
    09-20-11 01:32 PM
    I was told by Verizon from the 611 call line person that anyone on unlimited data will be able to jump to unlimited 4G/LTE data plan when ever they upgrade. If this wasn't BS then I don't see a tiered plan in my future whenever I decide to get an LTE device. That was then, this is now, so maybe they lied.
    If you have unlimited data you can currently switch to a 4g phone without issues. However, I always remain skeptical how long things like that will last...

That and VZ has actually mentioned switching to tiered-plans as an option to bypass throttling:
    Verizon begins throttling iPhone unlimited 3G customers who use 2GB/month | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Thought they were the ones who started this whole throttling concept.
    Nope, Tmobile did.
    09-20-11 01:40 PM
    Thats right papped, I do recall reading that now that you mention it about going to a tiered plan with a higher level of data to solve throttling issues. That could really run up a bill doing that. I'm wondering if they have a further strategy in place to get the grandfathered plan hangers on to switch out for tiered. Originally was thinking that they could require a new plan to get a new device, and even one bought third party would need activating and then they gottcha. Hope not.
    I'm also wondering if they might ever figure out I'm retired from the job that gives me the 25% discount. Been sweet so far.
    09-20-11 01:52 PM
    Unlike some people in this thread that believe you only get 5gigs..unlimited is unlimited on phones from Verizon whether you use 500mb or 500 gb......they will "throttle you for two billing cycles if TWO conditions are met. You are in the top 5% of users and are on a congested site.
    09-20-11 02:57 PM
    Network Optimization

Reading the actual terms, it doesn't sound that bad.
    09-20-11 03:08 PM
    Network Optimization

Reading the actual terms, it doesn't sound that bad.
    Most of the time we may not even notice as it might occur if we were using and we're not. I was kind of ticked off at first now that the dust is starting to settle it's not seeming as much a big deal to me.
    I'll be moving to a whole different state in the next few months. No 4G there at all yet, so that's not a concern. Have to see about the rest of it.
    09-20-11 04:49 PM
    I brought this up in another thread, but it is more relevant here. If I don't stay Android, I am going to get a 9930 and a PlayBook. Because I need a good flash browser,and bridging sounds good.

If bridging a BB with the PB uses the device data then PB owners must be racking up a lot of data usage as well. They would be subject to throttling since both devices are 3G.

I don't like that idea. Have any PlayBook users that bridge with their BB been throttled, or received a notice they may be?
    09-20-11 05:14 PM
    More crap speed today between 3 and 5pm again since the 15th. Same crap different day. Wonderful!
    09-22-11 06:17 PM
    I read the 1st half of the replies and some people that go over 2-6gb dot just sit on their phone all day. I am on a blackberry 9650 and constantly go over 3gb a month because of pandora. I run it in my truck all day at work. I'm working in and out of my work van all day but the phone stays rocking out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    09-22-11 11:47 PM
    I read the 1st half of the replies and some people that go over 2-6gb dot just sit on their phone all day. I am on a blackberry 9650 and constantly go over 3gb a month because of pandora. I run it in my truck all day at work. I'm working in and out of my work van all day but the phone stays rocking out.
    Yes, it's very easy to run up data by streaming pandora and the like. I've been getting throttled speeds at certain times for seven various days since the 15th. Throttling is the new reality for alot of us.. 3.2GB usage for the month.
    09-24-11 02:49 PM
    So , no one answered.

Are BlackBerry users that are bridging with their PlayBook experiencing throttling?
    09-24-11 02:51 PM
    So , no one answered.

Are BlackBerry users that are bridging with their PlayBook experiencing throttling?
    I guess I don't fully understand how the bridge works, but isn't it just a tether to a PB from a BB? Makes the PB work thru the BB, so if your surfing on the BB for instance you see it on the PB? Do I have that right? In any case any data used is going to count, no question about that, might be less with the compressed data functions of BB's.
    09-24-11 02:55 PM
    Bridging uses the BB device data, as I understand it to access bridge or full browser on the PB.

So, folks bridging their BB to their PB must be using more data than those who don't.

That's how I understand it. If so, they will be the ones being throttle. And iPhone users.

Android users are mostly on 4G devices now, which are not being throttle. Yet.
    09-24-11 02:59 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD