10-20-11 07:10 PM
65 123
tools
    I read where Verizon is going to start cutting back on the data speed of the top 5% OF HEAVY DATA USERS. If we pay for unlimited data how can they do this? I am not in the 5% but to me if you pay for unlimited then you should get what you pay for.
    09-18-11 07:46 AM
    Because unlimited isn't truly unlimited. It's capped at 5gb on most carriers but 5gb should be more then enough for a mobile device.
    09-18-11 07:58 AM
    They aren't capping your data usage, they're capping the transfer speed when you exceed 2GB. Since they've not said they're going to bill extra if you exceed 2GB, they apparently aren't in violation of the TOS because you still get to use the entire 5GB that you've paid for. It'll just be a lot slower.

As I understand it, the computer will determine if your data gets throttled by location and traffic. If you're connected to a very busy cell site, your speed will drop. The throttling will remain for the duration of the present cycle AND for the following bill cycle.

What galls me is that they are pushing data-intensive applications (NFL Mobile, Skype, music streaming, etc) and will cut your speed if you actually use them. Why would I want to pay to watch highlights or Red Zone action on NFL Mobile and have the data stream slow way down? I understand that it's a business, and that Big Red is looking to suck more through an even bigger straw in my wallet, but they're going to find that many of us are near our limits and will cut way back.
    Last edited by Underway99; 09-18-11 at 01:05 PM.
    09-18-11 12:59 PM
    I read where Verizon is going to start cutting back on the data speed of the top 5% OF HEAVY DATA USERS. If we pay for unlimited data how can they do this? I am not in the 5% but to me if you pay for unlimited then you should get what you pay for.

Just read your TOS and whine elsewhere.
    09-18-11 01:39 PM
    Just read your TOS and whine elsewhere.
    Anybody who uses 2GB of data a month is no data hog what with the data heavy apps and such these days. I don't mind being throttled, especially if the network is busy, but geez at least make it an appropriate level to start the throttling at, like 5GB.
    I never went over 2GB using my old BB, but on an android device I usually top out closer to 3GB a month. Certainly not in the catagory of an abuser. So a 5GB threshold would be alot more fair. just sayin'
    Furthermore I find it very hard to believe that only 5% go over 2GB/month.
    09-18-11 02:21 PM
    ESN, you realize were not being cut off, just slowed down during heavy network usage times. As I mentioned in another post a higher threshold before throttling kicks in would be alot more acceptable in my view. 2GB is nothing, We're still unlimited, just being subject to optimization=throttling. And I certainly DO NOT call 2GB heavy usage. Pretty light considering.
    09-18-11 02:26 PM
    Some Android users claim to use 20+GB a month. That's with NetFlix, Video calling, and rooted free tethering.

I use 5-6GB consistently on my device. That's with normal use. No Netflix, no tethering, no video streaming except for the occasional YouTube.

I am not worried about being throttle. The 20-30GB people should worry.
    09-18-11 02:27 PM
    Some Android users claim to use 20+GB a month. That's with NetFlix, Video calling, and rooted free tethering.

I use 5-6GB consistently on my device. That's with normal use. No Netflix, no tethering, no video streaming except for the occasional YouTube.

I am not worried about being throttle. The 20-30GB people should worry.
    Curious chrisy, but why not be concerned? It sounds like by your usage that over half your billing cycle could be subject to throttling. Verizon further stated that for heavy users(2GB+) , they might implement 2 billing cycles of throttling. This part I do not understand. I guess in time we'll see how this plays out. I was throttled the other day btw and the slow speed was not at all nice. I stopped after a frustrating few minutes and came back later.
    09-18-11 02:33 PM
    I'm not in the top 5% of heavy data users. As far as I know, that is who is being throttle, not users going over 2GB.

I'm at almost 6GB right now and notice no data slowness. Fast as ever.

Like I said, those who are in the top 5% of heavy data users are using 20+GB a month.

Not sure where you got the 2GB cap at.
    09-18-11 02:39 PM
    I'm not in the top 5% of heavy data users. As far as I know, that is who is being throttle, not users going over 2GB.

I'm at almost 6GB right now and notice no data slowness. Fast as ever.

Like I said, those who are in the top 5% of heavy data users are using 20+GB a month.

Not sure where you got the 2GB cap at.
    This I got from Verizons own news release and from their website. Over 2GB is considered heavy usage and ifyou have not been throttled yet you will be. It is not fully implemented yet. I'll see if I can find it. Everything they do seems to revolve around the magic level of 2GB. Tether plans, hot spots, tiered data plan. All focus on 2GB limits. This is their way around the unlimited users.

This from their own site spells it out in plain english:

How will I know if I’m in the top 5% of data users?
    As of August 2011, the top 5% of data users were using 2 GB or more of data each month.

http://support.vzw.com/information/data_disclosure.html
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-18-11 at 02:56 PM.
    09-18-11 02:48 PM
    Verizon can now throttle top five percent of bandwidth hogs, downres multimedia transfers -- Engadget
    http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/201...th-3g-devices/
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/16...ata-customers/

There's no way 2-6GB is in the top 5% of heaviest data users. Look on Android and iPhone forums. They are all over 5GB/month, and a lot much, much more.

Everything I can find about it says "Top 5%"of heavy users; no where can I find throttle at 2GB.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-18-11 at 03:01 PM.
    09-18-11 02:58 PM
    Click my link. It's pretty informative
    09-18-11 02:59 PM
    Wasn't there something about this whole "throttling" mess only affects users on 3G?

Personally, I think that it is crazy that people use more than 5GB on a phone. To me that means that those people have a whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooole lot of idle time on their hands lmao.
    09-18-11 05:20 PM
    This I got from Verizons own news release and from their website. Over 2GB is considered heavy usage and ifyou have not been throttled yet you will be. It is not fully implemented yet. I'll see if I can find it. Everything they do seems to revolve around the magic level of 2GB. Tether plans, hot spots, tiered data plan. All focus on 2GB limits. This is their way around the unlimited users.

This from their own site spells it out in plain english:

How will I know if Im in the top 5% of data users?
    As of August 2011, the top 5% of data users were using 2 GB or more of data each month.

Network Optimization
    That could be a very misleading statement from Verizon. Saying the top 5% were using 2 GB or MORE. Well that same statement does not rule out the top 20 or 30% who could also be using 2 GB or more. They may just be trying to find a way to move more people to their tiered plan by using the fear factor. It looks like they did get a few people's attention.
    09-18-11 05:31 PM
    5GB is nothing for an Android or iPhone. I use the phone the same about of time as my 9630. It just uses more data because it doesn't compress it, has flash and a better browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-11 05:56 PM
    5GB is nothing for an Android or iPhone. I use the phone the same about of time as my 9630. It just uses more data because it doesn't compress it, has flash and a better browser.

I've had an android phone. I have plenty of co-workers who have iPhones, and a few others have androids. One even has a Thunderbolt. So it has NOTHING to do with the type of phone you have. Like I said, it just seems that people just have a lot of time on their hands to rack up over 5GB a month.

I also have a friend who is an engineer, and is on his phone for work all day and doesn't exceed 5GB.
    09-18-11 06:12 PM
    That's not correct. BIS compresses data. Not sure what your point is. Some folks stream Netflix, Slacker, YouTube, Movies.

It all uses data. I don't do any heavy streaming.

But if you want to keep saying Android users "have more time on their hands" so be it. It's a silly assumption and conclusion.

It's about data compression in reality. Which can be good for users on limited data plans.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...estion-640474/

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-18-11 at 06:21 PM.
    09-18-11 06:16 PM
    It doesn't really matter which device you use if you cross that arbitrary line at some point the power's that be at Verizon can throttle you as they see fit. And for your next billing cycle as well!!! I don't mind being throttled if I use a lot of data,(maybe 5GB or above makes sense) but geezus, 2GB??? Really! That's just plain crap saying that is "heavy usage". The other crap statement is that only 5% go over that mark. That's total BS and I can't believe it.
    Anybody notice the plug for the LTE devices? They would love people to upgrade to one of those pricey devices. Of course that backfires when to many use all the LTE data loads.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-18-11 06:31 PM
    Agreed. I'm sick of the price hikes, caps, losing NE2, annual upgrades. Super annoying. I hope I don't get throttle, but yeah, VZW can do whatever they want.
    09-18-11 06:34 PM
    I've had an android phone. I have plenty of co-workers who have iPhones, and a few others have androids. One even has a Thunderbolt. So it has NOTHING to do with the type of phone you have. Like I said, it just seems that people just have a lot of time on their hands to rack up over 5GB a month.

I also have a friend who is an engineer, and is on his phone for work all day and doesn't exceed 5GB.
    I agree 5GB is pretty hard for most to exceed, I don't recall ever going over that. For that reason it would seem a much more reasonable line in the sand than 2GB which is nuts to call "heavy usage".

but yeah, VZW can do whatever they want.
    Yup, That's the bottom line.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-18-11 at 06:46 PM.
    09-18-11 06:37 PM
    That's not correct. BIS compresses data. Not sure what your point is. Some folks stream Netflix, Slacker, YouTube, Movies.

It all uses data. I don't do any heavy streaming.

But if you want to keep saying Android users "have more time on their hands" so be it. It's a silly assumption and conclusion.

It's about data compression in reality. Which can be good for users on limited data plans.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...estion-640474/

Ummm.....show me where in any of my posts did I say "android users have more time on their hands"? I'll wait.......................................(cue the Jeopardy music).............

Didn't find it huh? That's because I said "people must have a lot of time on their hands". Not android people, not BB people, not iPhone people. Just people.

Now IDK, maybe I hit a Chord with you when I said that. Even though I wasn't talking about you either. Just people in general.

Idk, maybe you fall into that category. Which may be why you are getting offended and accusing me of saying something that I didn't.

BTW....did you find the post where I said what you are accusing me of saying?
    Last edited by Itzdatdude; 09-18-11 at 06:51 PM.
    09-18-11 06:46 PM
    Android and iPhone use more data because BlackBerry compresses data. That's it. You're not understanding that. Android devices have widgets that are constantly updating automatically. That uses more data. Flash content uses more bandwidth.

You're making strange assumptions. Perhaps your Thunderbolt engineer uses WiFi? Maybe they have two devices?

I can't believe people stay under 2GB really! I'm just as shocked as you are about people going over! Lol.

Not defensive. But it's like me saying that people who use under 2Gb obviously don't know how to use their smartphone. It's just a weird assumption.

I use 5-6GB on my Android. On my Your it was around 1-2GB. I use my phone for everything. Banking, internet, music, mailing, etc. I use both platforms exactly the same, and the Android uses more data. Maybe that's just me though.

I made a poll on an Android site and all replies used over 5GB, and many used 10+GB. I thought that was a lot too, but others stream movies etc.

It's easy to do. I'll keep an eye out for throttling, but so far I haven't experienced It.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-18-11 at 07:22 PM.
    09-18-11 07:13 PM
    Android and iPhone use more data because BlackBerry compresses data. That's it. You're not understanding that. Android devices have widgets that are constantly updating automatically. That uses more data. Flash content uses more bandwidth.

You're making strange assumptions. Perhaps your Thunderbolt engineer uses WiFi? Maybe they have two devices?

I can't believe people stay under 2GB really! I'm just as shocked as you are about people going over! Lol.

Not defensive. But it's like me saying that people who use under 2Gb obviously don't know how to use their smartphone. It's just a weird assumption.

I use 5-6GB on my Android. On my Your it was around 1-2GB. I use my phone for everything. Banking, internet, music, mailing, etc. I use both platforms exactly the same, and the Android uses more data. Maybe that's just me though.

I made a poll on an Android site and all replies used over 5GB, and many used 10+GB. I thought that was a lot too, but others stream movies etc.

It's easy to do. I'll keep an eye out for throttling, but so far I haven't experienced It.
    Not defensive??? LMAO. Look all I gave was MY opinion to the excessive data usage. I know all the technical X's and O's yada yada.

But in the end I can still have MY opinion on the subject. Just like it is YOUR opinion if you wanna say that people that use under 2GB, doesn't know how to use their smartphone. I wouldn't argue with you on it, because (wait for it) IT IS YOUR OPINION!

You can continue to debate MY OPINION all you like, that is YOUR PREROGATIVE. Deuces.
    09-18-11 09:14 PM
    I've been on smart phones for 3 years now, and that includes BB android, and iPhone, a d never went over 2gb. I use my phone for music, video, web. Basically it's always in my hands. I'm 21 days into my billing cycle now .5 gb of data. How do people use so much data. (disclaimer. I use wifi when I'm at home)
    09-19-11 07:03 AM
    I've been on smart phones for 3 years now, and that includes BB android, and iPhone, a d never went over 2gb. I use my phone for music, video, web. Basically it's always in my hands. I'm 21 days into my billing cycle now .5 gb of data. How do people use so much data. (disclaimer. I use wifi when I'm at home)
    I think WiFi must cut down on data a lot. I never use WiFi.

Also, I use navigation almost everyday. That uses a lot.

Still, it's curious I never went over 2GB with my BlackBerry, but consistently go over 5GB with my Android, with the same usage habits.

09-19-11 09:08 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD