If you don't pay your bill. Verizon will blow up your house. I'm sorry but when this showed up in my Twitter feed I just had to pass this along.

Verizon Wireless Lawsuit: Bill Collector Allegedly Threatens to Blow Up Man's House - ABC News
    05-28-10 08:48 PM
    This is not amusing in the slightest. It is unfathomable that a customer would be treated that way. I have been a Verizon Dealer for a couple years and recently added Sprint. I can safely say neither company would ever condone such nonsense. I hope that the man gets justice but he needs to seek it from the collection agency not just Big Red.
    05-28-10 11:39 PM
    Not a VZW issue but the debt collection agency. Where talking $308 here which in the scheme of things is peanuts...VZW should write off the debt and give the guy two years of free everything plan. Cheaper then what the lawyers will charge !
    On the same note it's time for stricter regulation on debt collection .... the rep who called should have been arrested for terriostic threats. A couple months of community service picking up trash would teach him some manners !
    05-29-10 08:22 AM
    Sorry Gizmo I find it hilarious.
    The gaul of some 7.00 dollar a hour schmuck thinking they can threaten a life and or family over a 300 dollar debt? It's a shame that the customer didn't know the law and what debt collectors can and can't do. Which by the way, legally, they can do nothing. While I'm glad you are reputable business owner who seems to have a soul. Most aren't.

As far as Verizon, they are absolutely liable. The selling of a debt to a collection agency doesn't absolve them of guilt.
    05-29-10 10:44 AM
    WOW, stunning to say the least. Some people are just not very bright.
    05-29-10 12:46 PM
    Just saw an article on my local news about this morning. A collection agncy made several threats over a $200 debt. End result, the agency was told to pay $50K to the receipient of the harrassment. Report also said they did not find out if the employees (that admitted doing it) are still with the company, nor did it say what company the debit was sold from.

With this in mind, would VZW responsible for the actions of the employees of another company it hired to collect a debt?
    05-29-10 03:22 PM
    The gaul of some 7.00 dollar a hour schmuck thinking they can threaten a life and or family over a 300 dollar debt? It's a shame that the customer didn't know the law and what debt collectors can and can't do. Which by the way, legally, they can do nothing. While I'm glad you are reputable business owner who seems to have a soul. Most aren't.

As far as Verizon, they are absolutely liable. The selling of a debt to a collection agency doesn't absolve them of guilt.
    I happen to agree ... the guy said "I called my brother to say at the house". Because the brother is going to prevent the house from blowing up?? Is his brother Jacob and the collection agency the smoke monster?? I miss Lost already ...

Anyway, I'm sure Verizon will do whatever to get a positive PR spin out of this and get the customer settled down. I don't think what the collector did in any way is right or acceptable -- or legal -- but for the guy to get "legitimately scared" is absurd. He has every right to sue the collector!
    05-29-10 03:33 PM
    Boneheads make the world a more interesting place to live.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 03:33 PM
    I happen to agree ... the guy said "I called my brother to say at the house". Because the brother is going to prevent the house from blowing up?? Is his brother Jacob and the collection agency the smoke monster?? I miss Lost already ...

Anyway, I'm sure Verizon will do whatever to get a positive PR spin out of this and get the customer settled down. I don't think what the collector did in any way is right or acceptable -- or legal -- but for the guy to get "legitimately scared" is absurd. He has every right to sue the collector!
    for someone clearly unaware of the law (not you, the guy who was harassed) its not unreasonable to be genuinely scared when someone threatens them like that. they dont know who is on the other end of the phone and what they are capable of. they know where you live, your phone number... etc etc.

he called his brother to watch over his wife while he was at work. i mean who would want to leave their wife at home knowing some debt collector has already threatened to blow up their house.

this really is pathetic, debt collectors are just scum, right up there with meter maids.
    05-30-10 12:54 PM

You think VZW is liable? You a lawyer? They may get some bad publicity, but they did nothing wrong. Its the debt collection agency that is at fault. This is a generic issir with the debt collection industry not the cell phone industry.

05-30-10 01:40 PM
    Non-Practicing, but yes I went to law school.

The FDCPA laws are vague in a way that favors actually the consumer and not businesses. Not to mention the state laws in California, Florida, and several other state are extremely harsh when in comes to corporate responsibility and the outsourcing. Basically, if a company outsources to another company that has a questionable or a poor track record and second party commits a crime doing the outsourced deed the first party can be held liable.

Yes, I know, spoken like a lawyer. I doubt he is willing to take it that far, but it will be interesting to follow to say the least.
    05-31-10 01:05 AM
    Its like a mob boss ordering someone to murder someone, the mob boss can still be charged.

Maybe a bad analogy but it's the way I see it
    05-31-10 02:50 AM
    Its like a mob boss ordering someone to murder someone, the mob boss can still be charged.

Maybe a bad analogy but it's the way I see it
    Big difference, I doubt that VZW told the collection agency to blow up people's houses. Perhaps "use any means neccessary", but "within the law" is implied. Especially since they probably have a written contract with the collection agency.
    05-31-10 05:58 PM
    Non-Practicing, but yes I went to law school.

The FDCPA laws are vague in a way that favors actually the consumer and not businesses. Not to mention the state laws in California, Florida, and several other state are extremely harsh when in comes to corporate responsibility and the outsourcing. Basically, if a company outsources to another company that has a questionable or a poor track record and second party commits a crime doing the outsourced deed the first party can be held liable.

Yes, I know, spoken like a lawyer. I doubt he is willing to take it that far, but it will be interesting to follow to say the least.
    Well see it will be interesting. Well also see if google is liable.

05-31-10 10:46 PM
    If you don't pay your bill. Verizon will blow up your house. I'm sorry but when this showed up in my Twitter feed I just had to pass this along.

Verizon Wireless Lawsuit: Bill Collector Allegedly Threatens to Blow Up Man's House - ABC News
    .. Vzw would be blowing up the wrong house if they went by the mailbox address on my bill
    They would be blowing up my neighbours house instead ,hmmm there's a thought

06-01-10 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD