Ok, I just want to make sure I understand this.....

I'm an Verizon customer only because VZW acquired Alltel. I still have my Alltel smartphone plan. At the moment, I have a Moto Q9c but am looking at a BB Storm2.

I want to keep my Alltel plan and people are telling me I can do that, but the rep I talked to said that if I got a VZW phone, I had to go to their plan. If I do that, I loose my family and friends plan. I don't want to have my bill any higher!

Is it possible that I can stay on my plan and get the VZW Storm 2 through VZW or would I be better off buying a Storm 2 on ebay or from the marketplace forum here?

Thanks for taking the time to read this from a possible Storm 2 newbie!
    03-04-10 08:14 PM
    You can still keep your Alltel plan. Don't let a store rep talk you into changing your plan if you don't want to.

What Alltel plan are you currently on?
    03-04-10 08:29 PM
    Nationwide freedom with 10 friends and family calling circle. I've got unlimited texting and the smart phone plan. The minutes are good.
    03-04-10 08:42 PM
    Yeah you'll be totally fine with that.. Everything will switch over and the smart phone feature will be a VZW Email and Web for $29.99
    03-04-10 08:46 PM
    ok, got a question....

I was wrong. I have the smart choice pack. It's $89.99/month. 500 minutes, texting and data. Nights start @7pm.

Does VZW have a better plan?
    03-04-10 08:55 PM
    ok, got a question....

I was wrong. I have the smart choice pack. It's $89.99/month. 500 minutes, texting and data. Nights start @7pm.

Does VZW have a better plan?
    Smart Choice will include the VZW feature data feature. No other plan is going to be able to compete with that since you have unlimited text, smart phone data, nights @ 7, and F&F for just $89.99
    03-04-10 09:01 PM
    Thanks for the help! I'll just have to argue with my Rep then.
    03-04-10 09:08 PM
    I do not believe you can keep your smart choice plan. One of the things I remember them telling me was that you can not have a Verizon Wireless Phone with an Alltell data (either bundled with the plan or a la carte because it's still provisioned) and you can not have a Alltell phone on a Verizon Wireless Plan. The only active (open) plans that Verizon Wireless offers alltell customers is the Nationwide Freedom and Greater Freedom Plans.
    03-04-10 10:32 PM
    I have a VZW 8330 Curve and an Alltel plan. Unless VZW has changed the rules you're OK.
    03-04-10 10:45 PM
    sure you can, they just add the vzw data feature to the alltel plan for no charge. I have an alltel plan and have had a vzw tour and currently a Droid. Each phone change they just add the necessary feature at no charge.
    03-04-10 10:47 PM
    Smart Pack plans will work with any VZW Smartphone. I've seen Smart Pack plans with Droids, Storm 2s, even Omnias. You also have the option of having a National Freedom plan with the 29.99 data plan feature. But, if you have multiple lines with smartphones and are on an alltel plan, go Smart Pack, you will save money.
    03-04-10 11:56 PM
    I have a VZW 8330 Curve and an Alltel plan. Unless VZW has changed the rules you're OK.
    Is your plan the "SmartChoice" plan? I know a VzW Curve works on National/Greater Freedom plans because the data feature is a la carte.
    03-05-10 12:17 AM
    I deal with Alltel converted accounts all day and can assure you guys that these smart phone plans will work. The features just interchange.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 06:36 AM
    Is your plan the "SmartChoice" plan? I know a VzW Curve works on National/Greater Freedom plans because the data feature is a la carte.
    Just looked at an account setup. The feature for a Droid is PDA Personal VZ. This is on an alltel Smart choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 06:38 AM
    Smartpack 1200 with Friends and Family 10 (+1)
    03-05-10 07:31 AM
    Alrighty then
    03-05-10 11:45 AM
    Tour, storm and droid (VZW branded) on an Alltel smart choice pack here.
    7 pm start for night and weekends
    unlimited text pix and data
    11 F&F

I could ramble on about this subject but I'll leave it at this, Whole lot of miss information about this subject out there.

So to answer your question, keep the plan you have and tell the rep. to either be a little more competent in their job or quite BS'ing you and give you a VZW device with contract pricing and leave my plan ALONE!
    03-05-10 09:03 PM
    Tour, storm and droid (VZW branded) on an Alltel smart choice pack here.
    7 pm start for night and weekends
    unlimited text pix and data
    11 F&F

I could ramble on about this subject but I'll leave it at this, Whole lot of miss information about this subject out there.

So to answer your question, keep the plan you have and tell the rep. to either be a little more competent in their job or quite BS'ing you and give you a VZW device with contract pricing and leave my plan ALONE!
    You're correct about the misinformation. This seems to be a VZW trademark. Depending on who you talk to, you get a different story. The players don't seem to be using the same play book. I don't really fault the messenger, I fault the VZW brass.
    03-06-10 10:40 AM
    You're correct about the misinformation. This seems to be a VZW trademark. Depending on who you talk to, you get a different story. The players don't seem to be using the same play book. I don't really fault the messenger, I fault the VZW brass.
    That's the truth! Upper management is a big part of the blame when it comes to misinformation. One day it could be one way and the next be total opposite.

It comes down to reps not being familiar with Alltel plans and features. You normally won't see VZW reps screw up with heritage VZW accounts.
    03-06-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD