So on the browsers homescreen I went to MobileIM and downloaded the app. My question is does using aim and yahoo messanger use data or text? I ran a search but didnt get concrete results. Some people use go.yahoo.com but that would be data being its web based, im talking application based.
    10-16-08 05:14 PM
    IM applications use data
    10-16-08 05:48 PM
    IM applications use data
    Actually, it uses SMS. It says it as the third item when you click on it. Now, JiveTalk uses Data.
    10-16-08 06:11 PM
    Yes, the VZ Mobile IM uses SMS.

Get the Messenger program from the Blackberry site! It's FREE and uses data!

OTA Download: http://www.blackberry.com/instantmes...75EA47723AECFC

i'm using the Blackberry AIM program and it works great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-16-08 at 06:43 PM.
    10-16-08 06:39 PM
    wow i'm surprised! It doesn't come out of your sms allotted minutes though. That's very odd. I never used to have SMS minutes but i could still do yahoo messenger........
    10-16-08 06:53 PM
    Well when you send an IM its considered one sms message and same with receiving one. You could see how this would add up real fast. I think w/o a txt plan its like 29cents a txt to receive and send. It may not seem like much but thatll add up, it even says it when you connect to aim, "Sending a lot of IMs? Get a txt plan of 250 msgs" it says something similar to that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 07:01 PM
    When you download the VZW app for IMing it uses SMS, tho its "technically" data as others will say-VZ charges you. You are better off either getting the unlimited texting plan or DLing a third party app that uses data like Jivetalk, etc.
    10-16-08 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD