If I am tracking all the forums correctly, they're saying that the Verizon 8530 only has Rev 0. If data pipeline is same then one assumes we can't achieve any higher speeds than my 4yr old Lenovo with THE FIRST BUILT-IN Sierra cellular EVDO modem.......which maxes out at about 75Kbits/sec (eg crap)

...OR... does that 3G speed that everyone is so hyped about actually mean anything?

The reason I ask is b/c I bought the blackberry on the notion that I would tether my old laptop to it and cut-off my $60/- a month fee for that old, slow connection. AND, I am now paying $45 extra on top of my voice plan for the blackberry.

Does any of this make sense?? How can this be???

HELP....PLEASE?
    01-17-10 10:27 PM
    Go check out tetherberry.com. I don't have it yet but I have seen it in action with other berries the are rev.0 and the performance was pretty impressive plus tetherberry is a one time fee and supposedly the carrier can not tell that you are tethering. Much better then paying a monthly fee for tethering on top of you BB data plan. Good luck...
    01-18-10 05:43 AM
    Tetherberry is a pretty good app, using the newest version my 8530 topped out at around 1100 kb download when I tested it. Average was in general 300-700kb download. Tetherberry uses your BIS data so it is counting against your phones data usage, just watch your usage so you don't go over 5GB during the month. You'll have to check the use in your Sprint online acct. the Blackberry its self does not log your monthly usage like some of Sprint's other phones do.

Another alternative is PDANET for Blackberry PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem, it's less expensive than Tether. Both offer free trials.
    01-18-10 09:50 AM
    Thanks, Guys.......I am going dowload trial this weekend to see. I work 10-12 hr days so I don't get the time during the week......

Anything will be better than my 4yr-old Lenovo (@ 75kb!) - it was the first laptop to have EV-DO built in.....so its probably even slower!!

Will keep you posted.
    01-19-10 08:26 PM
    Thanks, Guys.......I am going dowload trial this weekend to see. I work 10-12 hr days so I don't get the time during the week......

Anything will be better than my 4yr-old Lenovo (@ 75kb!) - it was the first laptop to have EV-DO built in.....so its probably even slower!!

Will keep you posted.
    Verizon's tethering should work faster. And you won't be violating TOS.
    01-19-10 08:56 PM
    "Verizon's tethering should work faster. And you won't be violating TOS"
    says right in the TOS they can charge you for tethering and can disconnect if they want to
    01-20-10 07:44 AM
    "Verizon's tethering should work faster. And you won't be violating TOS"
    says right in the TOS they can charge you for tethering and can disconnect if they want to
    Yes but if you sign up for Verizon's tethering, you'll bypass the RIM servers, and you'd have 5 gigs to use every month. And that's not a violation of their TOS.
    01-20-10 05:01 PM
    If I am tracking all the forums correctly, they're saying that the Verizon 8530 only has Rev 0. If data pipeline is same then one assumes we can't achieve any higher speeds than my 4yr old Lenovo with THE FIRST BUILT-IN Sierra cellular EVDO modem.......which maxes out at about 75Kbits/sec (eg crap)

...OR... does that 3G speed that everyone is so hyped about actually mean anything?

The reason I ask is b/c I bought the blackberry on the notion that I would tether my old laptop to it and cut-off my $60/- a month fee for that old, slow connection. AND, I am now paying $45 extra on top of my voice plan for the blackberry.

Does any of this make sense?? How can this be???

HELP....PLEASE?
    Cheaper cost most likely. RIM's servers won't give you Rev A. speed so I guess they figure why worry about putting a more advanced radio in the device if that's the case.

EVDO Rev 0 will provide you with 400kbps-1000kbps download and can burst up to 2.0Mbps. Hardly 75kbps (unless you meant 75KBps).

EVDO Rev A will run around 600Kbps-1,400Kbps download and burst up to 3.1Mbps.

If you're within the 30 day window I would take it back to the store and get a Storm 2 or a Tour.
    01-20-10 06:06 PM
    You are right, tsguy52 - did a bit of benchmarking and am averaging 40KBps, which translates to about 320kbps ......still pretty damn slow!!!

So, forgive me if I am being obtuse, but......does, or can, Verizon actually tell if you're on tetherberry?

B/C I am already paying through the nose for services.........

.....and what do you mean by RIM's servers? Doesn't all traffic go through Verizon anyway?
    01-20-10 08:30 PM
    So, forgive me if I am being obtuse, but......does, or can, Verizon actually tell if you're on tetherberry?

B/C I am already paying through the nose for services.........

.....and what do you mean by RIM's servers? Doesn't all traffic go through Verizon anyway?
    Yes, they can tell if you're on tetherberry.

Whenever you use data on your blackberry, all data goes from your phone, through Verizon, to RIM servers, and then to the internet. Your speed depends on the weakest link. The RIM servers do not provide you with the same pipe a direct connection to Verizon does.

Translation ... when you use tetherberry, you are still going through the RIM servers when you tether to your computer, giving you a slower wireless broadband experience, and violating your TOS.

If you pay for tethering, your blackberry disconnects from the RIM servers, and goes directly through Verizon's pipeline, which will be faster.

Now, if you're just using it to check e-mail when you don't have access to a wired or wireless connection, you'll probably be fine and not notice the difference. But if you're looking for a true tethering experience, you'll want to do the tethering through vzw, because it will be faster, and you won't run the risk of being charged ridiculous fees for inappropriate data use.
    01-21-10 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD