10-09-09 01:41 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    I was really going to try to stay out of thos . . . .*sigh*

It sounds like the OP is the IT support or something, which are the hardest people to work with as they think they know everything. I'm not saying this is the case with everyone, but with the OP I would be willing to bet money this is dead on. I bet the rep he talked to had a good laugh with his supervisor about it all as he did what was asked of him. Deal with it, you crying about it cb isn't going to change the policy to replace phones. Do as the reps ask you, and you will have a replacement phone order within 20-30 minutes.
    Oh man you may want to do some research before posting crap like this. First of all Civic is a she and second of all she is one of the most knowledgeable people on crackberry. That may not mean a lot to you but trust me it should.

And second, having dealt with Verizon tech support I understand her frustration. I have yet to run into a tech who knew even as much as I do let alone more about BB's. This isn't my ego talking. I am well aware that I don't know everything and when I can't figure something out I call them.

I am well aware that they have all sorts of devices they have to be familiar with and can't know everything about every device but when I have to spend 5 minutes explaining to a rep what error 553 means and that when that happens I can't even access the home screen let alone do the security wipe they want me to do something is wrong. I the amateur should not have to educate the professional. I don't expect them to know everything (that's what KB's are for) but they should know more than I do.

They need to train their people better or better yet hire people like Civic to train their people for them. Procedures are great but when you are dealing with someone who obviously knows as much or more than you do about something and has already done the troubleshooting then you need to be professional and just work with them not against them.

In fairness though, I had the opposite experience from Civic recently. Once the rep saw that I had done the troubleshooting steps he didn't make me repeat them and just replaced the device.
    10-08-09 08:58 PM
    totally understad u do better trying to fix problems urself
    10-08-09 09:04 PM
    It's completely rediculous that people actually think just because they say they have done a wipe on a phone that reps will take them at face value. I used to work as a Tier 3 rep for VZW and we would have morons call in day after day saying they have done the troubleshooting. Well, guess what? They would have not done it at all, or would have done a portion of it. Is it a hardware problem? Yeah, more than likely, but the reps still have to walk the customers through as it is part of their job. If you don't like it, contact RIM so they can walk you through the exact same thing, and you get to pay for it.

It sounds like the OP is the IT support or something, which are the hardest people to work with as they think they know everything. I'm not saying this is the case with everyone, but with the OP I would be willing to bet money this is dead on. I bet the rep he talked to had a good laugh with his supervisor about it all as he did what was asked of him. Deal with it, you crying about it cb isn't going to change the policy to replace phones. Do as the reps ask you, and you will have a replacement phone order within 20-30 minutes.

APPLAUSE!!!
    10-09-09 09:16 AM
    Here is how I ultimately see it.

Reps may be deaf, as sometimes they don't hear you.

Reps are not dumb - the ability to speak is a requirement.

Although I am sure I've come across some that I made deaf & dumb after I left them speechless for holding to their inane call sequencing routine & not listening to me.
    10-09-09 10:14 AM
    Here is how I ultimately see it.

Reps may be deaf, as sometimes they don't hear you.

Reps are not dumb - the ability to speak is a requirement.

Although I am sure I've come across some that I made deaf & dumb after I left them speechless for holding to their inane call sequencing routine & not listening to me.
    Customers may be stupid and sometimes do idiotic things and expect the carrier to make up for it.

The carriers in the interest of good will attempts to do the right thing most of the time, even when the customer is clearly in the wrong.

Most customer service reps deserve medals. Those that don't listen are doomed to failure.
    10-09-09 10:35 AM
    I was really going to try to stay out of thos . . . .*sigh*

Oh man you may want to do some research before posting crap like this. First of all Civic is a she and second of all she is one of the most knowledgeable people on crackberry. That may not mean a lot to you but trust me it should.

And second, having dealt with Verizon tech support I understand her frustration. I have yet to run into a tech who knew even as much as I do let alone more about BB's. This isn't my ego talking. I am well aware that I don't know everything and when I can't figure something out I call them.

I am well aware that they have all sorts of devices they have to be familiar with and can't know everything about every device but when I have to spend 5 minutes explaining to a rep what error 553 means and that when that happens I can't even access the home screen let alone do the security wipe they want me to do something is wrong. I the amateur should not have to educate the professional. I don't expect them to know everything (that's what KB's are for) but they should know more than I do.

They need to train their people better or better yet hire people like Civic to train their people for them. Procedures are great but when you are dealing with someone who obviously knows as much or more than you do about something and has already done the troubleshooting then you need to be professional and just work with them not against them.

In fairness though, I had the opposite experience from Civic recently. Once the rep saw that I had done the troubleshooting steps he didn't make me repeat them and just replaced the device.
    This post made me giggle.

And not for the reasons it was intended to.
    10-09-09 10:37 AM
    .......I bet it would be an epic facepalm.
    This......is an epic facepalm (note, the file is big so rather than embed the pic, I linkified it.......

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/3611/...facepalm-1.jpg
    10-09-09 11:27 AM
    This post made me giggle.

And not for the reasons it was intended to.
    Ditto.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-09-09 11:37 AM
    Seriously, take for instance the ongoing issues with the Tour's trackball that stops working properly in horizontal mode. The reps are now required to have the customer do a Security Wipe on the phone prior to replacing the phone "even though the issue is a documented HARDWARE ISSUE" right on their paperwork in front of them. Seriously, the trainers at VZW tech support do realize that security wiping a Blackberry is NOT the same as wiping a WinMo phone for instance? There IS NO refresh of the OS during the process, all that happens is that the user data and 3rd party apps (if chosen) are deleted off the phone, that's all, nothing more. How the f is that going to fix a known hardware issue? WTF? I'd like to talk in person to the people that put out these BS tech documents for you CSRs... I really would. I bet it would be an epic facepalm.

Take the blinders off people... PLEASE!

(If you must, check the sensativity settings on the trackball and as long as it's not something like too high or too low a setting messing with it, chance are ABSOLUTE that the issue is the defective trackball mechanism on the Tour, but a security wipe is wasting both your time and the customer's time.)
    On behalf of all of the hard working reps that contribute to this forum, the wipe I would recommend is your Blackberry up your ***.

10-09-09 01:27 PM
    Let me break it down in details for you and them tell me the rep wasn't wasting my time.

1) They knew of the issue.
    They know of a trackball issues all trackball issues do not qualify under this known issue.
    2) They were informed that a wipe had been done already.
    Ask any tech in this forum.. when customers say they've already done stuff they usually haven't and when we ask them to do it again it magically works!

3) They knew that a wipe most likely wouldn't fix this issue.
    Did they?

4) They were made aware that I AM responsible for all BBs at the organization, so obviously I've seen this issue numerous time and I'm not the average user.
    Again, techs hear this all the time. No one wants to admit they don't know what they're doing.

5) They blatantly insisted that I must do a wipe with them on the phone because it would be different then when I did it.
    So then you post on here and complain about wasting your time -- when this probably wasted more time.

Bottom line, this person was a moron robot who was so scared to not follow robotic procedure that they probably jeopardized their job even more by carrying on the conversation and then wasting their managers time when I spoke with them.

My gripe is that this rep should have realized that I had already done all of this prior to calling because I even explained it to them, but instead of just being efficient, they waster 15 minutes of my time and 5 minutes of the manager's time over trivial BS troubleshooting steps on their script THAT HAD ALREADY BEEN DONE.

That spells dumbass with blinders on to me.

Yeah! I mean, the rep should just yell "viva la revalucion (sp?)" (Sorry for stealing it) and break what his employer (who is paying him/her) instructed him to do all because you feel you were inconvenienced, then you tell me to get off my soapbox? I think you need to look in the mirror.

Last edited by Weekendbum; 10-09-09 at 01:37 PM.
    10-09-09 01:29 PM
    I think this thread has MORE than run it's course, and has simply become a "forum" for disagreement. THREAD CLOSED!!!
    10-09-09 01:41 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD