08-16-12 11:37 PM
36 12
tools
    Edge or not, you're in a service area - they will dispatch a testing tech, often an outside contractor like one of my guys - and if they determine you are in a licensed service area, with building/terrain issues, you will pay an ETF.

This applies to any carrier, not just VZW. We find that fully 98% of all coverage issues like this are not covered by any provisions to terminate contracts. When we go out, we check signal for all area carriers - no, that is not disclosed to you - and more often than not, all carriers are affected.

As to the previous comment about GSM building penetration being better than CDMA, that is a falsehood - wishful thinking. CDMA is digitally processed & corrected, while GSM is not. CDMA penetrates slightly better & is far more tolerant to low signal conditions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 05:11 PM
    A good thing to review is trom the FCC. It covers the basic legal aspects, as well as what you can expect from coverage maps.

Understanding Wireless Telephone Coverage Areas

That page is an unbiased look at the realities of coverage maps & more.

A couple other things to look at - if you've not moved since you got your service and you went past your trial period, forget contesting the contract based on network performance.

Edges of coverage maps mean nothing. Licenses to operate in the area, as long as the carrier provides service to the area, is what it is determined by.

Where you work, go to school, shop or where your mistress lives are not valid reasons to get out of contracts. Moving from Peoria to Peru is. I know the OP said he recently moved - so some of this may be moot, but still - there are people on AT&T in the heart of LA and folks in Phoenix on VZW trying to claim they don't get "adequate" service and should be released from their contract. All too often, it is just someone wanting an iPhone or a Tour or a Pre.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the help TwinsX2dad. All I know is that my calls are dropped inside/outside of my new location. The guy who lives next door uses SPrint doesnt have a problem, so I think that rules out structure? It's been 13 days, and I want a solution. I don't care about iphones, tours, or any other crazy expensive device. I just want to make/receive calls.

Thanks for everyone's help
    07-29-09 07:52 PM
    Thanks for the help TwinsX2dad. All I know is that my calls are dropped inside/outside of my new location. The guy who lives next door uses SPrint doesnt have a problem, so I think that rules out structure? It's been 13 days, and I want a solution. I don't care about iphones, tours, or any other crazy expensive device. I just want to make/receive calls.

Thanks for everyone's help
    13 days then call back and escalate the issue to a care supervisor or higher...if they don't resolve it ON THE PHONE AT THAT VERY MOMENT...then get a name, employee #, direct callback number (they have one, they might not know it, but everyone has one, and a voicemail), and an email address (some reps won't provide this, but if they say no, don't push it. just get the other stuff) that way there is some accountability to one person to follow up with you.
    07-29-09 08:41 PM
    Well, after two weeks and over 3 hours of phone calls with Verizon, they let me out of my contract....FINALLY. Took a while, but eventually I was able to talk with a rep that got me out of my contract. I had to push them at times, but overall not a horrible customer service experience. I just wish it had taken less time. Oh well, I guess that's one of the drawbacks when you have 85+ million customers on your network.

Thanks again for all your help.
    07-30-09 10:32 PM
    If found a neat little research tool. Antennasearch.com. You can enter your address and it will provide you with tower information and locations for all towers within a 4 mile area of the address you provide.

On the subject of VZW, check this out. VZW coverage at my house is crap. A few months back, a friend that worked for VZW did a trouble ticket for me and saw that my area was on a tower site build list. VZW website coverage map listed my address as an unserviced area (southeastern Louisiana, near state hwy 43 and state hwy 442). I notice that a few months ago, a cell tower was build at the intersection of hwy 43 & hwy 442. I checked antennasearch.com and behold, the tower that was just build belongs to VZW, but service at my house is still crap and I live only 3 miles from the tower, and the VZW website coverage map STILL shows my area as being unserviced.

Phone works awesome everywhere else in the world except for my house. Go figure.
    08-02-09 05:07 AM
    I know this is an old thread, but in case someone wonders onto it - the carriers now offer devices you can install at home to provide better coverage if your house is a deadzone. The Best iPhone Verizon Network Extender
    08-12-12 01:30 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but in case someone wonders onto it - the carriers now offer devices you can install at home to provide better coverage if your house is a deadzone. The Best iPhone Verizon Network Extender
    Haha yeah that was the solution offered by the first reply in 2009

+1 for Moderator to Close Thread
    08-12-12 03:20 PM
    Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.
    08-14-12 05:59 AM
    You don't hear much about the extender. My apartment is in a severe cell phone hole and when i moved here 4 years ago I bought one. It works! 4-5 bars all the time.

Yes it costs $200 but it is a solution that works every time, all the time. How many "fixes" can that be said of?
    08-14-12 11:46 AM
    When I started loosing coverage at my home I received a free extender and lately its not working too well and Verizon has authorized me to cancel my 5 lines at any time with no ETA fees. They explained to me that with so many smart phones in my area the bandwidth is being used up and there is no upgrades scheduled until all LTE expansion is completed in the states. I am trying to hold off since I get good coverage almost everywhere else!
    08-16-12 11:37 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD