Article and interview in Investors Business daily 9/9/09:

Investors.com - Verizon Confirms: It's Embracing Wi-Fi

Makes me glad that I returned my BB Tour...
    09-12-09 09:36 AM
    Its about big red came thru. But i do love my tour, much better than my Storm 1. Maybe when storm 2 or the Essex come out I'll take the plunge to wifi!
    09-12-09 10:11 AM
    Nothing new there. The biggest part of that story is the part about offering WiFi in hotels & the like. But that was reported months ago.

Notice it says "analysts speculate" on RIM devices, but doesn't mention the analysts. Often times, the media uses this type of wording to represent only a few. Did they only speak with two analysts? Did they look online for something & found a pair of analysts - one at BGR & the other at Gizmodo? It isn't even as credible as the old Trident gum ads claiming "4 out of 5 dentists surveyed..."

RIM would not confirm...

As for the "majority of smartphones & PDA" claim, that is easy. HTC Touch Pro 2, just released, has WiFi. All the new Omnias, including the Omnia 2 - available shortly - will have it. VZW is working with Nokia & Apple & they have it. All new Motos will have it. This is all a good thing and, based on the manufacturer's track record & current/confirmed offerings, true.

But based on RIM's track record & failure to confirm Storm 2 would have it, one would have to be skeptical. If they were going to offer it, why not confirm it? If they denied it at this point in time, they might lose customers to the new HTC & Samsung models.

I am not saying it won't happen. RIM will eventually have WiFi on VZW BlackBerrys. But based on healthy skepticism & what I've seen from the inside, it might not predate LTE. And, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet Storm 2 will not have it.

It would be good if it did - I'd just not hold my breath or make plans for it until it was here.
    09-12-09 10:18 AM
    Twins, you would lose your money if you made a bet on Storm 2 not having WiFi. One thing I did realize is that the majority of videos were using the 9520, and not the 9550, thus raising the skepticism for certain Verizon subscribers. This phone will have Wi-Fi, mark my words. I wouldn't post on here again if it doesn't.
    09-12-09 10:30 AM
    Twins, you would lose your money if you made a bet on Storm 2 not having WiFi. One thing I did realize is that the majority of videos were using the 9520, and not the 9550, thus raising the skepticism for certain Verizon subscribers. This phone will have Wi-Fi, mark my words. I wouldn't post on here again if it doesn't.
    Why do people make such outlandish statements? How do you know it will have Wifi? Where is your proof? Are you one of the RIM engineers? Everything about phones that dont even have a release date yet are just speculations, thats it. RIM has not put Wifi into any of its CDMA phones yet and why the **** is everyone so gungho about wifi? Its not like you can get around the REQUIRED data plan by having it and Verizons data speeds are fast enough as it is.
    09-12-09 10:34 AM
    But based on RIM's track record & failure to confirm Storm 2 would have it, one would have to be skeptical. If they were going to offer it, why not confirm it? If they denied it at this point in time, they might lose customers to the new HTC & Samsung models.

I am not saying it won't happen. RIM will eventually have WiFi on VZW BlackBerrys. But based on healthy skepticism & what I've seen from the inside, it might not predate LTE. And, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet Storm 2 will not have it.

It would be good if it did - I'd just not hold my breath or make plans for it until it was here.
    Really... after that kind of press interview, I would be real surprised if the S2 comes out without wifi!
    09-12-09 10:37 AM
    Why do people make such outlandish statements? How do you know it will have Wifi? Where is your proof? Are you one of the RIM engineers? Everything about phones that dont even have a release date yet are just speculations, thats it. RIM has not put Wifi into any of its CDMA phones yet and why the **** is everyone so gungho about wifi? Its not like you can get around the REQUIRED data plan by having it and Verizons data speeds are fast enough as it is.
    Every time I go to a unfamiliar location, whether it's business or pleasure, I study my surroundings. I pay attention to the way I came in, if their are numerous exits, which direction would get me out the door the fastest, do I use extra precaution, etc. What does this have to do with you on a internet forum? When you wrote your statement, did you bother to check what my device models were? I must be a RIM engineer to know if this phone will have Wi-fi, when it could be that I'm testing the device with many others, or I could be indirect with RIM? You need to ask questions first before you jump to conclusions. I see you're from Chicago, so you must be from the ghetto parts of Cibrini-Green. Stupid to jump to that conclusion, right? I also hope that your Wifi-comment was in a rush, and you don't really think Wi-fi is about increased speed. I'll definitely give you the benefit of the doubt on that.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 09-12-09 at 11:26 AM.
    09-12-09 11:19 AM
    Really... after that kind of press interview, I would be real surprised if the S2 comes out without wifi!
    Hold on, Robert - let's take a look at that thought for just a moment.

First off, some clarification - I subscribe to Investors. But their job is to speculate. if they were that good at speculating, all readers would be as rich as Bill Gates.

Investor's Business Daily has an article - it isn't an interview of any sort. VZW's John Stratton made a statement (not to Investors, BTW) that Investors quotes several weeks after he made it. Stratton never mentioned suppliers or sources of these devices. Then they quote a blurb from Mike Morgan, a business analyst with ABI Research, that only has to do with market trends. In the article, Investors makes a speculative comment about about unnamed analysts saying WiFi a possibility on Storm 2, but could get nothing from RIM or even VZW. Interesting how a simple confirmation of a feature that would bolster both RIM & VZW could not be had.

Now, looking at this all - Investors only glossed over a press release from last month. They made a lot of speculation, which is their job. They made sure they mentioned three key words - WiFi, RIM & VZW - a sure way to drive hits, traffic & search-engine placement. Yet this is supposed to force RIMs hand in releasing something they've not only been unable to in the past, but that also goes against RIMs own statements that WiFi on a BlackBerry requires a native network SIM card?

Six Storm 2 prototypes here - some set for native GSM networks (native SIM and WiFi radios) and some set for native CDMA networks. One native CDMA unit had WiFi option, but no supporting radio. The others had no option and no radio.

I am sure glad so many are so willing to put so much on the line for nothing more than speculation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 12:01 PM
    Every response that I made is based on personal experiences, and not speculation. I didn't join CB for speculation or praise, I just wanted to be among a community that loves BlackBerries. I've tested numerous devices that are not made by RIM, so it's not about loyalty either. I could name plenty of phones that's better than the current BlackBerries based on personal experience. Pre-production device easily change so I shouldn't type with extreme confidence on whether Wi-Fi may or may not be implemented. I just know that mines has Wi-Fi, regardless of what anyone says differently.
    09-12-09 12:18 PM
    Pre-production could easily change, yes - but in this case, it would require a change of the device backbone & a major rework of the chassis, which would nullify all of the current testing.

Don't I remember you claiming you knew for sure, that you'd seen it in action, then when pressed & called out, you said someone else had a video, but that video didn't show WiFi in action?

You don't post from experience - you post from the statements of others - many just like yourself.

I have to sign various levels of non-disclosure agreements meaning I can't post fake videos.
    09-12-09 12:29 PM
    Pre-production could easily change, yes - but in this case, it would require a change of the device backbone & a major rework of the chassis, which would nullify all of the current testing.

Don't I remember you claiming you knew for sure, that you'd seen it in action, then when pressed & called out, you said someone else had a video, but that video didn't show WiFi in action?

You don't post from experience - you post from the statements of others - many just like yourself.

I have to sign various levels of non-disclosure agreements meaning I can't post fake videos.
    Actually, the problem was that I'm under NDA, so I can't post what I want here. I've never posted videos nor pictures on any forum. I don't have have a twitter account where I give out clues, nor do I give out my pin on CB. I've stated that Salomondrin and others have show Wi-Fi in action, but come to find out, every device was 9520. 9550's are pictures only. I've read numerous posts and threads with you, as I do with everyone. I wouldn't sit here and ask you to prove if you really seen 6 Storm 2 prototypes, or if you can really prove if Verizon will ever have a Wi-Fi BlackBerry, as I've seen you written before. If you believe I don't post from experience, then so be it. Why do I now have to prove that I don't? The burden of proof isn't on you either so concession accepted.
    09-12-09 12:45 PM
    Hold on, Robert - let's take a look at that thought for just a moment.

First off, some clarification - I subscribe to Investors. But their job is to speculate. if they were that good at speculating, all readers would be as rich as Bill Gates.

Investor's Business Daily has an article - it isn't an interview of any sort. VZW's John Stratton made a statement (not to Investors, BTW) that Investors quotes several weeks after he made it. Stratton never mentioned suppliers or sources of these devices. Then they quote a blurb from Mike Morgan, a business analyst with ABI Research, that only has to do with market trends. In the article, Investors makes a speculative comment about about unnamed analysts saying WiFi a possibility on Storm 2, but could get nothing from RIM or even VZW. Interesting how a simple confirmation of a feature that would bolster both RIM & VZW could not be had.

Now, looking at this all - Investors only glossed over a press release from last month. They made a lot of speculation, which is their job. They made sure they mentioned three key words - WiFi, RIM & VZW - a sure way to drive hits, traffic & search-engine placement. Yet this is supposed to force RIMs hand in releasing something they've not only been unable to in the past, but that also goes against RIMs own statements that WiFi on a BlackBerry requires a native network SIM card?

Six Storm 2 prototypes here - some set for native GSM networks (native SIM and WiFi radios) and some set for native CDMA networks. One native CDMA unit had WiFi option, but no supporting radio. The others had no option and no radio.

I am sure glad so many are so willing to put so much on the line for nothing more than speculation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OK, your points are well taken!
    09-12-09 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD