For all of the comments that Javelin will not have "3G" as the Bold will have the Niagra which is the "Javelin" for CDMA networks will have the new improved EVDO Rev A which is faster than the EVDO Rev 0 of the Curve which it will be replacing. Thus, for anyone desiring "3G" speeds on a Curve replacement and not want the Bold should switch over to Verizon (or Sprint) to use the Niagra. Phone is slated for May 2009.

To me, this seems like the idea BB and Network as opposed to using the Bold. What advantage would there be to having a Bold over a Niagra on the Verizon/Sprint networks?

BlackBerry Javelin and BlackBerry Niagara explained! : Boy Genius Report

Incidentally, since the Curve for Verizon/Sprint use EVDO Rev 0 which is far faster than the EDGE of the ATT/T-mobile GSM Curves, shouldn't people be switching over to Verizon/Sprint for this reason as well?

Is there a "benchmark" for browser speed difference between Curve on Verizon vs. Curve on AT&T?
    Last edited by david f; 09-10-08 at 07:07 AM.
    09-10-08 07:03 AM
    Well the bold does have WiFi. A small win considering the ATT network is not as good as Verizon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 07:05 AM
    For all of the comments that Javelin will not have "3G" as the Bold will have the Niagra which is the "Javelin" for CDMA networks will have the new improved EVDO Rev A which is faster than the EVDO Rev 0 of the Curve which it will be replacing. Thus, for anyone desiring "3G" speeds on a Curve replacement and not want the Bold should switch over to Verizon (or Sprint) to use the Niagra. Phone is slated for May 2009.

To me, this seems like the idea BB and Network as opposed to using the Bold. What advantage would there be to having a Bold over a Niagra on the Verizon/Sprint networks?
    HSDPA is still faster than evdo rev a, and more importantly, lets you use data and voice at the same time.

No matter how you look at it; for now on verizon you have better reception in some places.... you will never have better phones, or more capabilities than an HSDPA network.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 09-10-08 at 11:27 AM.
    09-10-08 11:25 AM
    But the GSM Curve replacement, "Javelin" does not have HSDPA, and I use EVDO Rev A on my laptop and it works fast enough for full page browsing (typical download speeds of 700-1200 kbits/sec). So, the Verizon Curve replacement, Niagra, is in fact better than the AT&T replacement, Javelin when it comes to download (and upload speeds) which if one happens to be tethering or browsing is a big deal.
    09-10-08 11:33 AM
    in regards to the Javelin, yes you may be correct. In your op you were talking about the Bold.

Also, the Javelin specs, have not been officially released so we dont know for sure if its not going to have 3G on it when it actually does come out. It really does not make any sense for rim to release the javelin without 3G.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 09-10-08 at 11:39 AM.
    09-10-08 11:35 AM
    But the GSM Curve replacement, "Javelin" does not have HSDPA, and I use EVDO Rev A on my laptop and it works fast enough for full page browsing (typical download speeds of 700-1200 kbits/sec). So, the Verizon Curve replacement, Niagra, is in fact better than the AT&T replacement, Javelin when it comes to download (and upload speeds) which if one happens to be tethering or browsing is a big deal.
    Except, he was answering the question about the advantage of using the Niagra over the Bold. And, in terms of speed, network-wise or proc-wise, there is no advantage against the Bold - there's actually a disadvantage as far as the specs we're aware of. The advantage feature-wise would be a slightly-higher resolution screen at the loss of some screen size, and a higher-resolution camera with auto-focus. I'm sure both camps will attract their fair-share of fans.

09-10-08 11:39 AM
    I'm still wondering how the concept came that the Niagara is VZW's Javelin, lol...Umm it's blatently obvious that it's a CDMA version of the Bold...just look at it, minor tweaks over the GSM version but it's nowhere near where a javelin is.
    09-10-08 11:50 AM
    I'm still wondering how the concept came that the Niagara is VZW's Javelin, lol...Umm it's blatently obvious that it's a CDMA version of the Bold...just look at it, minor tweaks over the GSM version but it's nowhere near where a javelin is.
    I agree with you on that one. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't EV-DO the CDMA version of GSM's 3G? With that being said the only main difference would be WiFi?
    09-11-08 12:35 AM
    Is that Niagara as in Viagara? Oh no, I cant own a phone like that and tell people what its called haha
    09-11-08 01:30 AM
    As far as people switching to Verizon/Sprint goes...

A Speedy phone doesn't matter when you're the LAST in line to receive distribution of said phone...

Dm
    09-11-08 07:25 AM
    Att's 3g network has nothing on evdo rev 0, or rev a. From my own personal expierience. Yes u get wifi, but who needs it when u got evdo. I don't mind being last to get phones give them time to work the bugs out.

Last edited by opph20; 09-11-08 at 07:42 AM.
    09-11-08 07:39 AM
    Hello,

Does anyone know which Next Gen. Sprint Blackberry rendition (Niagara etc...) will be on the Rev A network. On the same note, just how much better/faster is Rev. A over current EVDO Rev.0? I am new to CB (BB Curve 8330) and see lots of posts from Gurus about upcoming BB's and who is getting which device, but nothing really focusing on what Network they will be operating on.
    10-13-08 02:07 PM
    I have the storm now, but will probably want to switch over to this phone in the future. I wonder how much buck I can get for my storm
    12-23-08 03:38 AM
    cant wait for sprints new bb o so excited
    12-23-08 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD