03-24-11 10:53 AM
64 123
tools
    Was able to find this. Do not know about this site that well though. Was released on back on 2.3.2009

Verizon Sniffing Around Sprint | Scott Moritz | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    Nice work in finding that article Lastraid...however that article was from 2/3/05...LOL! Only articles I could find were from 2004.

Well hopefully something else will make headlines about this. I've got some friends on Sprint that I wanna be able to call mobile-to-mobile by 2010! LOL
    02-03-09 05:30 PM
    Yeah that was pointed out for already.
    02-03-09 05:39 PM
    Why buy sprint when their customers are coming to VzW anyways?
    02-03-09 06:18 PM
    Why buy sprint when their customers are coming to VzW anyways?
    No doubt - at least the ones who care about quality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 06:38 PM
    No doubt - at least the ones who care about quality.

and Price too? LOL!
    02-03-09 07:15 PM
    This is just my opinion....somewhere down the road, there will be just 2 left...VZW and ATT. Sprint and Tmobile will eventually get bought/absorbed. There will be a handful of smaller ma and pa carriers like metro, virgin, boost and others that lease tower space but those are non-factors now and will remain so in the future.

Until a 3rd party shows up that can give global coverage with unlimited and affordable rates along with huge amounts of data bandwidth and the financial capital to start from the ground up....it will be just VZW and ATT.

Sprint can barely stay in business now with losing it's customer base at an alarming rate. Tmobile's technology is totally inferior to ATTs and can not get its act together to catch up. And with the economy the way it is, it's doubful the can turn the profit to invest back into their network. To think its 2009 and they are just beginning to deploy 3G while VZW is bout to launch LTE later this year.
    02-03-09 08:29 PM
    If i'm not mistaken sprint is GSM so no....
    Sprint is CDMA. T-Mobile and ATT are GSM
    02-03-09 08:56 PM
    Just the ones that can pay their bills.

A lower price doesn't always equate to lower cost.

If I buy gas at the cheap gas station, my car runs like crap and the check engine light comes on due to multiple misfires. Shell gas makes my car run great and the engine light has never come on. Cheap gas now just leads me to a large repair bill later.

How does this relate to wireless? The reliability and service Verizon provides far outweighs the 10-20% premium.

02-03-09 10:43 PM
    This is just my opinion....somewhere down the road, there will be just 2 left...VZW and ATT. Sprint and Tmobile will eventually get bought/absorbed. There will be a handful of smaller ma and pa carriers like metro, virgin, boost and others that lease tower space but those are non-factors now and will remain so in the future.

Until a 3rd party shows up that can give global coverage with unlimited and affordable rates along with huge amounts of data bandwidth and the financial capital to start from the ground up....it will be just VZW and ATT.

Sprint can barely stay in business now with losing it's customer base at an alarming rate. Tmobile's technology is totally inferior to ATTs and can not get its act together to catch up. And with the economy the way it is, it's doubful the can turn the profit to invest back into their network. To think its 2009 and they are just beginning to deploy 3G while VZW is bout to launch LTE later this year.
    At least until LTE phases out CDMA and GSM seperation, the FCC would never allow there to be only 2 companies under their Anti-Trust laws. Just as VZW has to set up trust markets now for areas in which it and Alltel were the only CDMA carriers. As stated above the Alltel merger made much more business sense as there were a great number of markets (especially in the Midwest) that VZW did not have licenses in. (The same is to be said for their acquisition of Unicell, Qwest and RCC). Sprint however does not have enough markets that VZW does not already have license in. It just wouldn't make business sense (let alone the fact they would have to take on the miserable customer base that Sprint is hemorrhaging daily)

Although I'm sure their employees would love coming to work for a company that actually cared for them and didn't do mass amounts of layoffs every quarter...
    02-03-09 10:46 PM
    How does this relate to wireless? The reliability and service Verizon provides far outweighs the 10-20% premium.
    Yes,yes,yes!

Mobile service that does not work in the areas I travel (or even on the outskirts of town) isn't worth it to me regardless of the cost.

Let's see here. Dewar's @ $30 or store label @ $7.99? Man, I sure could save some cash by foregoing that single malt, but I sure won't enjoy it & what a hangover I'd get!

You get what you pay for.

02-04-09 12:04 AM
    Let's see here. Dewar's @ $30 or store label @ $7.99? Man, I sure could save some cash by foregoing that single malt, but I sure won't enjoy it & what a hangover I'd get!

You get what you pay for.
    TwinsX:

I promise, I'm not following you ... just saw this.

Dewar's isn't single malt. Try Macallan ... or Springbank 100 proof, if you can find it. And from what I know about you ... if you're paying $30 for Dewar's, you're getting ripped off.
    02-04-09 01:36 AM
    You are 100% correct. What I meant to reference was Glenfiddich & not Dewars.

Dewars is closer to Chivas 12 year old.

Note to self: Don't post anything an hour past your bedtime.

02-04-09 07:57 AM
    The atrticle was in 2005.
    02-15-09 11:46 AM
    I missed this before, I think, I think.

At least until LTE phases out CDMA and GSM seperation, the FCC would never allow there to be only 2 companies under their Anti-Trust laws.
    Just like they would never allow only one satellite radio company (hello XM/Sirius merger) or satellite television media provider (where DID EchoStar & other Dish competitors go?).

How many areas offer choice in CATV? Even most of the telcos gave up on VDSL & resell Dish.

In the current political climate, competition is an endangered species.

02-15-09 03:01 PM
    I missed this before, I think, I think.

Just like they would never allow only one satellite radio company (hello XM/Sirius merger) or satellite television media provider (where DID EchoStar & other Dish competitors go?).

How many areas offer choice in CATV? Even most of the telcos gave up on VDSL & resell Dish.

In the current political climate, competition is an endangered species.

Well there are still 2 dish providers....Echostar/dish network, and Direct tv.

But I was basically thinking the same thing the XM/Sirius merger made 1 "sat radio" provider, but there are radio stations everywhere!! What does it matter if VZW is the only CDMA...There is still GSM which is out there too...Cell phone is cell phone...I know there's a difference in services, but they're still competitive with eachother!!
    02-15-09 05:26 PM
    Well there are still 2 dish providers....Echostar/dish network, and Direct tv.
    True - in my haste, I neglected to make the comparison more directly. Where there were once more, not there are really just two satellite providers. Unless you want to include SkyAngel.

That was allowed.

02-15-09 05:39 PM
    It would make perfect sense for vzw to purchase sprint right now;

Sprint is the only other (major/contract) cdma company = increase customers, network and obtain iden (what for, I don't know)
    Sprint won't be bought by any other competitor and their customers would simply be free to goto other companies in the event of a colapse = get them on the hook before they're back in the open water
    LTE is coming soon and the entire game will change then. Much more competition between carriers as everyone will be on the same technology, better to get the customer use to calling themselves a "verizon customer" now than to wait untill they are use to being a "______ customer" and see no reason to switch.

On the other hand sprint has been a ship that won't sink for years now and short of the supernatural I sure can't figure out how they have managed to stay afloat this long. For god sake there isn't even an ETF for most their customer base!

02-16-09 12:35 AM
    If i'm not mistaken sprint is GSM so no....
    lmao...sorry i had to... no im pretty sure they are CDMA
    02-16-09 12:44 AM
    Why would Verizon spend money to get Sprint's customers when they are getting them for free now?

They would also have to divest 90% of it anyway. I've never heard of a town with Sprint service and no Verizon.

02-16-09 02:24 AM
    lmao...sorry i had to... no im pretty sure they are CDMA
    Yes - 100% CDMA. Sprint doesn't own or operate a single GSM property.

02-16-09 09:07 AM
    Verizon has to buy Sprint to stay #1.
    03-20-11 03:28 PM
    Verizon and Sprint would have to go through all the same divestitures that Verizon and ALLTEL went through during that previous merger. Also, Verizon would end up taking ownership of a second Tier 1 backbone it doesn't need. In the end, the overlaps that would be divested would require an operating company to run it, so you're still left with something.

I'm sure Verizon wouldn't be keen on taking on Sprint's $20B in debt, or its iDEN network, or the headache that is Clearwire and those 2.5GHz licenses...I don't think the dollars add up for this one.

AT&T's announcement for T-Mobile does make a bit more sense in terms of the financial benefit, but with all that overlap, I don't see how regulators are not going to require massive divestitures which will change more hands.

The consumer on that one will not enjoy the result so much. Certainly higher prices. The monopoly issue is a non-starter, as there is plenty of wireless competition. If I were VZW though, I'd file a protest with the regulators and courts to block the merger. T-Mobile wouldn't mind, DT would get $3B and a whole bunch of roaming agreements instead. I'm sure they could manage just fine with that.
    03-20-11 03:38 PM
    Man that would stink to high heaven if Verizon bought out Sprint.
    Higher prices not good and with lock down phone are Android 3 party OS development would go to Sh**.
    03-20-11 05:43 PM
    Im torn, yes if Vzw buy sprint prices would go higher but then service would be finally decent (both customer and cell service) sprint isn't very good at managing business. Just look at nextel, sprint has beaten that hot chick until and now she's a one-toothed crack wh0re of the wireless world. As far as companies go I think a t-mobile and sprint merger would make more sense. But then comes the next problem, tmo is gsm, sprint is cdma. So t-mo would be better with att or something and sprint with Vzw. But I don't think sprint has enough assests to outweigh their debt. Plus Vzw doesn't need wimax or iden. It already has push to talk and Lte. The alltel merger made more sense than a Vzw/sprint.

Last edited by WhoolioPreludee; 03-20-11 at 06:16 PM.
    03-20-11 06:13 PM
    Im torn, yes if Vzw buy sprint prices would go higher but then service would be finally decent (both customer and cell service) sprint isn't very good at managing business. Just look at nextel, sprint has beaten that hot chick until and now she's a one-toothed crack wh0re of the wireless world. As far as companies go I think a t-mobile and sprint merger would make more sense. But then comes the next problem, tmo is gsm, sprint is cdma. So t-mo would be better with att or something and sprint with Vzw. But I don't think sprint has enough assests to outweigh their debt. Plus Vzw doesn't need wimax or iden. It already has push to talk and Lte. The alltel merger made more sense than a Vzw/sprint.

Once you said Sprint and T would make more sense it showed you don't know what you are talking about
    03-20-11 06:44 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD