03-24-11 10:53 AM
64 123
tools
    Hey I just saw on Squawk Box, CNBC, that Verizon is in negotiations to buy Sprint....anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor??? I heard it on the show, but can't find anything on the net about it.
    02-03-09 11:24 AM
    I wouldn't think so. That would be a cdma monopoly wouldn't it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 11:26 AM
    If i'm not mistaken sprint is GSM so no....
    02-03-09 11:51 AM
    I wouldn't think so. That would be a cdma monopoly wouldn't it?

See I was kinda thinking the same thing, BUT so what if it's CDMA monopoly...there's still other competition with GSM networks, so I don't know if that'd be considered a monopoly....who knows

If i'm not mistaken sprint is GSM so no....
    Nope..sprint is CDMA, and nextel is iden, verizon is Cdma, pretty much everyone else in the us (big companys...att...tmobile...etc) are gsm.
    02-03-09 11:59 AM
    they better not be...i will go right to tmobile, im not paying extra for full use of my GPS. not bashing VZW, its just not for me.
    02-03-09 12:00 PM
    This has been talked about since 2004. I do not think that they could get the gov't approval for this one.
    02-03-09 12:24 PM
    See I was kinda thinking the same thing, BUT so what if it's CDMA monopoly...there's still other competition with GSM networks, so I don't know if that'd be considered a monopoly....who knows
    Well it is a problem as Verizon is having to sell off the AllTel areas where it would make Verizon the only cdma in the area.

02-03-09 12:24 PM
    they better not be...i will go right to tmobile, im not paying extra for full use of my GPS. not bashing VZW, its just not for me.
    Verizon has unlocked gps on many of the capable blackberry handsets.
    02-03-09 12:26 PM
    I sure hope they, i would love to see AT&T and Verizon be the only carriers to pick from. I can only imagine what this would do for the less expensive corporations like Metro PCS, Bluegrass Wireless, Cricket, Cellular One ETC..... People would be dropping left and right and put the smaller companies back on top.
    02-03-09 12:29 PM

lol oh...well then as long its not a monopoly i guess.
    02-03-09 12:33 PM
    I sure hope they, i would love to see AT&T and Verizon be the only carriers to pick from. I can only imagine what this would do for the less expensive corporations like Metro PCS, Bluegrass Wireless, Cricket, Cellular One ETC..... People would be dropping left and right and put the smaller companies back on top.
    You're assuming that these smaller companies exist in large markets. In many cases, they don't. Verizon and AT&T have the lion's share of the market now. Sprint has been bleeding since their ill-fated purchase of Nextel. I don't see Verizon Wireless buying Sprint. The FCC would barf all over that.
    02-03-09 12:36 PM
    Ive been searching the net, can't find anything on the net on this report, nothing on CNBC. If this is in fact true can someone please post a link to this news?

It would not be a monopoly even if VZW were to purchase Sprint AND Nextel. VZW is not monopolizing the Cellular industry, not when ATT and Tmobile are in it despite the fact they use a different technology. This is in fact a "competing" technology so no Monopoly.

Like I said before, if someone has proof of this news report please post it. Or we can just file this as a long running rumor.
    02-03-09 12:38 PM
    Was able to find this. Do not know about this site that well though. Was released on back on 2.3.2009

Verizon Sniffing Around Sprint | Scott Moritz | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    02-03-09 12:39 PM
    Ive been searching the net, can't find anything on the net on this report, nothing on CNBC. If this is in fact true can someone please post a link to this news?

It would not be a monopoly even if VZW were to purchase Sprint AND Nextel. VZW is not monopolizing the Cellular industry, not when ATT and Tmobile are in it despite the fact they use a different technology. This is in fact a "competing" technology so no Monopoly.

Like I said before, if someone has proof of this news report please post it. Or we can just file this as a long running rumor.
    I can't find one either, and I'm the OP, but I did hear a quick blurb about it on Squawk Box this morning, so I dunno.
    02-03-09 12:43 PM
    Sounds like a firm, solid rumor to me.
    02-03-09 12:46 PM
    Was able to find this. Do not know about this site that well though. Was released on back on 2.3.2009

Verizon Sniffing Around Sprint | Scott Moritz | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    The Street is a reputable site, but the date is 2/3/2005.
    02-03-09 12:48 PM
    oops guess typo on my part, but I am known for that . I will keep looking to see if I can find anything updated news.
    02-03-09 12:50 PM

correction required here! Only the BB Storm has unlocked GPS. Other handsets are only unlocked to BB Maps
    02-03-09 12:55 PM
    The only thing i have heard, since i work for a global media company is if Sprint does not start doing better soon, they could file for bankruptcy...
    02-03-09 12:58 PM
    Who cares if one carrier has all of the cdma technology? Everything is moving towards the same technology. Within 5 years cdma will probably be close to be phased out if it hasn't done so already.
    02-03-09 12:58 PM
    CDMA is far from being phased out at this time. Once LTE hits then it will still take time.
    02-03-09 01:00 PM
    So does that mean it would become Verizon Cup Racing instead of Sprint Cup?
    02-03-09 01:23 PM
    I don't see it, sounds like the original rumor just got necro'd from when vzw originally went in to negotiations with Alltel.
    I believe the only Sprint purchasing that will happen is the going out of business bandwidth sale that's coming in a few years at the rate Sprint is hemorrhaging customers.
    Unfortunately in the world we live in, whether it's cell providers, banks, or anything else, we're going to end up with a couple huge providers and nothing else. sad, very sad.
    02-03-09 03:12 PM
    I do see this happening but not for awhile. Sprint is in a downward spiral however they still have plenty of cash and investors.
    02-03-09 03:23 PM
    While this rumor has had life for several years and is not dead by any stretch of the imagination, I think it had more legs before the Alltel acquisition.

First off, any purchase would probably include VZW divesting itself of overlapping properties. Who would buy these properties? Anyone from US Cell to Virgin/Helio to SK to Deutsche to British Telecom. This would be not for federal approval - in fact it may be a purchase with federal urging - but for economic reasons. They wouldn't need duplicate networks even though VZW already provides Sprint with some of their network coverage. Many Sprint transceivers are positioned on VZW towers or on VZW sites in areas where Sprint doesn't lease network time straight out.

Secondly, it is well known that VZW wants to take over Vodaphone lock, stock & barrel. This may be their next hurdle.

A side note on this is that it is rumored that VZW wants a seamless network, while Voda wants the networks separate - the way they are now.

Third, the Alltel acquisition appears to be a better fit for VZW in terms of areas covered and closer matches in services. Most everywhere Sprint operates, there sits VZW. The same could not be said about Alltel, which was an easy filler for the few blank spots in "The Network."

Fresher news is found about the aforementioned SK, Deutsche & British Telecom having interest in buying Sprint.

Still, this doesn't rule out new news about the possibility of a VZW takeover. Sprint isn't doing well and the prospects of having a foreign concern running it aren't as politically viable as having VZW take it.

For those thinking Justice or FCC having problems with such a merger, remember that Sprint is a tiny company in comparison. Sprint could keep their local network and even gain a few VZW local wireline areas & divest themselves of wireless the way Qwest did, then resell VZW wireless.

Taking over Sprint might mean a point of two in market share and not much more.

02-03-09 03:27 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD