08-28-10 10:09 PM
95 ... 234
tools
    Ok, this is so confusing.

Just for clarification;

If I turn on my GPS and use..I dunno, BBMaps, that's A-GPS?

Now if I were to turn off Location Data and Location Aiding, that would be..autonomous GPS?

This is all very interesting to me, (love learning new stuff like this!) I just want to make sure I'm getting this all correct.
    05-05-10 02:14 PM
    On my Tour, I disabled GPS (set it to E911 Only) yet still enabled Assisted GPS in the options. I then loaded Poynt. It was able to tell my location from the cell-site location (using A-GPS) but said it could not use the autonomous GPS (because I turned it off). Like I said, a lot of this data about Verizon blocking GPS is old - I think they don't block anything now because my phone is using A-GPS fine.
    Last edited by slinky317; 05-05-10 at 03:33 PM.
    05-05-10 03:22 PM
    That's why i'm confused. Doesn't Google Maps use A-GPS when we see that big blue circle? If so, my VZW BlackBerry uses A-GPS as well as GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 03:59 PM
    sorry folks... busy evening...

ok. When you use google maps, it uses autonomous GPS which is why you get pinpoint accuracy outdoors and in clear line of sight locations. Indoors or in hard to reach places, you'll get the circle with the estimate btwn 500 to 2000 meters.

Not the same with BBmaps or VZ Navigator that use the triangulation as well as the GPS to calculate your location
    05-06-10 06:22 AM
    On my Tour, I disabled GPS (set it to E911 Only) yet still enabled Assisted GPS in the options. I then loaded Poynt. It was able to tell my location from the cell-site location (using A-GPS) but said it could not use the autonomous GPS (because I turned it off). Like I said, a lot of this data about Verizon blocking GPS is old - I think they don't block anything now because my phone is using A-GPS fine.
    Cell site location is not AGPS. Many apps do cell site location based assisting. SmartWifi comes to mind. It detects 1 single tower in your area and turns your wifi on automatically for you. Poynt I imagine works the same way in detecting 1 cell site location and estimating where your places of interest are. This is why you are getting your location information while your GPS options are set to E911 only. But its by far not pinpoint GPS. Now... if you use google maps to map your location from poynt, then your using autonomous GPS, but its within the google maps app.

GPS "in conjuntion" with cell site "triangulation" is A-GPS or (assisted GPS)
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-06-10 at 06:52 AM.
    05-06-10 06:33 AM
    Cell site location is not AGPS. Many apps do cell site location based assisting. SmartWifi comes to mind. It detects 1 single tower in your area and turns your wifi on automatically for you. Poynt I imagine works the same way in detecting 1 cell site location and estimating where your places of interest are. This is why you are getting your location information while your GPS options are set to E911 only. But its by far not pinpoint GPS. Now... if you use google maps to map your location from poynt, then your using autonomous GPS, but its within the google maps app.

GPS "in conjuntion" with cell site "triangulation" is A-GPS or (assisted GPS)
    This clears it up for me finally! Thanks!
    05-06-10 11:22 AM
    This clears it up for me finally! Thanks!
    anytime
    05-06-10 11:46 AM
    This is my first post. I went to the Verizon store today and came away with some questions. I came here and found some conflicting answers.

I am joining my wife's existing Verizon plan, adding another line. I am looking at two Blackberry models: Curve 8530, Tour 9630.

I went to the store to take a look at them both. I mentioned to the sales rep that I did some bicycle touring and wanted something with some basic GPS. She said that I should look at the Droid instead because Blackberrys cannot use GPS without VZ Navigator and a $10/month fee. I was a little surprised, so I asked again. "There's no way to use GPS on a Blackberry without using their application and paying a monthly fee?" "No, you can't. If you want GPS without a fee, I'd look at the Droid."

Was she just confused? I tried to follow this thread, and if I read correctly, the sales rep just didn't know what she was talking about. I get the feeling you guys are a bit more informed than she was. Can someone set me straight?
    05-07-10 04:13 PM
    This is my first post. I went to the Verizon store today and came away with some questions. I came here and found some conflicting answers.

I am joining my wife's existing Verizon plan, adding another line. I am looking at two Blackberry models: Curve 8530, Tour 9630.

I went to the store to take a look at them both. I mentioned to the sales rep that I did some bicycle touring and wanted something with some basic GPS. She said that I should look at the Droid instead because Blackberrys cannot use GPS without VZ Navigator and a $10/month fee. I was a little surprised, so I asked again. "There's no way to use GPS on a Blackberry without using their application and paying a monthly fee?" "No, you can't. If you want GPS without a fee, I'd look at the Droid."

Was she just confused? I tried to follow this thread, and if I read correctly, the sales rep just didn't know what she was talking about. I get the feeling you guys are a bit more informed than she was. Can someone set me straight?
    The rep you spoke too was absolutely incorrect. You can use true GPS for free on both the 9630 and the 8530.

05-07-10 04:18 PM
    The salesperson is misinformed re the Tour 9630. I use my Verizon Tour with Poynt and Google Maps and Garmin Mobile and BBMaps. The GPS works perfectly in autonomous mode with all GPS apps. I don't have an 8530, so I can't say for sure about it.
    05-07-10 04:19 PM
    The salesperson is misinformed re the Tour 9630. I use my Verizon Tour with Poynt and Google Maps and Garmin Mobile and BBMaps. The GPS works perfectly in autonomous mode with all GPS apps. I don't have an 8530, so I can't say for sure about it.
    Travelingfool and JeffH, thank you for your responses. That certainly puts my mind at ease. Can someone clarify again for me the difference between autonomous GPS and assisted GPS?
    05-07-10 04:28 PM
    Travelingfool and JeffH, thank you for your responses. That certainly puts my mind at ease. Can someone clarify again for me the difference between autonomous GPS and assisted GPS?
    Autonomous GPS works just like a handheld GPS. It doesn't require a cell signal to operate. Assisted GPS uses a cell signal in addition to the satellites, and may allow you to get a GPS lock in circumstances where Autonomous GPS cannot, inside a building with no line of sight to the satellites, for example. I cannot verify that performance. See the posts by Ricanmedic above for more info. As far as I am concerned, that the GPS works is more important than whether it is in Assisted or Autonomous mode. Most 3rd party apps can only use the internal GPS in a Verizon Tour in Autonomous mode.

05-07-10 04:36 PM
    I think the rep was trying to sell him or herself some droids

btw, I also had a rep try to tell me that the bold coming to verizon was a myth.... followed by "come, buy a Tour now, why wait!?"
    05-07-10 05:10 PM
    Sounds like the rep might be thinking of voice-assisted directions and interchanging it with the term GPS. When people refer to their car having GPS, they are using it as a term that combines both.
    05-07-10 05:49 PM
    Sounds like the rep might be thinking of voice-assisted directions and interchanging it with the term GPS. When people refer to their car having GPS, they are using it as a term that combines both.
    I think you're probably right on this one. Thanks for the help, everyone. Now it's time to decide between the Curve 8530 and the Tour 9630.
    05-07-10 08:11 PM
    Long Ride:

I use my Tour (I don't know the other model) when hiking and biking. I use gpslogger - a freeware program. It works fine with the gps in the Tour. There are other similar programs.
    05-07-10 08:14 PM
    I think you're probably right on this one. Thanks for the help, everyone. Now it's time to decide between the Curve 8530 and the Tour 9630.
    My .02? Hold out about a month for the Bold 9650. It's pretty much a Tour with a trackpad, WiFi, double the memory and OS 6 support.

05-07-10 08:15 PM
    Complete BB newbie here so please be easy on me! I have read the entire thread but really didn't find the info I needed.

I have an older 8330 and I would like to simply get BB Maps working. I have v5.0.0.438 installed and have downloaded the latest BB Maps but the icon does not show up in the home screen. Have already done the GPS test and it failed.

Any help is appreciated.
    08-28-10 08:31 AM
    You can't download a version of BBMaps that works with your OS. That may be where you went wrong. BBMaps has to be installed / reinstalled as part of your OS. Download your BlackBerry OS to your PC. You can get it from here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites. Double-click the exe you just downloaded and it will install your BlackBerry OS as an application on your PC. You can then run the Desktop Manager App Loader and check the box by BBMaps to reinstall it.

The GPS test failing concerns me. Were you outdoors with a clear view of the sky? Did you have a good cell signal?
    08-28-10 09:25 AM
    Thanks for all the gr8 posts about the agps and autonomous gps. gr8 info to know/learn about. Just downloaded Poynt, Guess I'm to cheap to pay for vz nav, but after installing poynt, It poynted directly at my home location. Had excellent accuracy. Went through all the searching features and all worked gr8.

Mike
    Last edited by mikerc3; 08-28-10 at 10:13 PM.
    08-28-10 10:09 PM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD