08-28-10 10:09 PM
95 1234
tools
    Actually, I appreciate this thread and its old information. Verizon deserves the partial distortion since their history is what causes this type of information to be perpetuated. They locked the gps on many/most of their phones to 3rd party apps in the old days. But folks still remember that nonsense. So verizon continues to be tarred by their reputation.
    04-23-10 06:08 PM
    So...is this a for sure that any new phone you buy now (ones that came out in the last half a year or so) will for sure have the GPS unlocked? Will this be the case for all future BBs?
    04-24-10 06:06 PM
    I don't think it's possible to guarantee Verizon or another carrier won't lock the aGPS in a future model phone. Autonomous GPS devices are outside the carrier's control.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 06:19 PM
    Does anyone have a home-screen app that will turn GPS on/off? Using a Tour 96XX and just realized that GPS is good to go. Replaced my 8830 a few months ago where GPS was locked out.
    05-01-10 09:25 AM

QuickLaunch allows you to setup shortcuts to various functions such as Websites, Email, SMS and PIN addresses, Phone numbers, 3rd Party Apps, Videos, Images, Audio files, Device Info, Bluetooth Configuration, Camera, Video Camera, Delete your Call Logs, Manage Connections, Device Reset, Google and Wikipedia Search and other functions such as Blackberry Options, Calculator, Calendar, Event Log, Tasks, WiFi, GPS On/Off Toggle (Bold and Curve Versions) and more!

05-01-10 09:43 AM
    Running Garmin Mobile and Google Maps on my Tour 9630 without issue.
    05-03-10 05:38 AM
    Running Garmin Mobile and Google Maps on my Tour 9630 without issue.
    Thanks for the update, lol

Yeah the GPS is unlocked for that model of blackberry but for the 8330 its not. With the use of a puck for some gps apps it allows you to use then tho
    05-03-10 05:48 AM
    Ha. Yes. This thread is about the VZW 8330. We know the VZW 9630 GPS is unlocked.

05-03-10 06:09 AM
    Apparently Verizon Wireless has taken it upon themselves to block all Blackberry GPS use.
    Upgrade your 8330 to OS/5 using one of the various leaks available. Your GPS will work fine with all applications. Plenty of instructions available in the Leak/Hybrid OS section of this forum.
    05-03-10 10:07 PM
    Upgrade your 8330 to OS/5 using one of the various leaks available. Your GPS will work fine with all applications. Plenty of instructions available in the Leak/Hybrid OS section of this forum.
    Are you using a Verizon 8330? Does Google Maps give you 3-m accuracy, or something much higher? Unless something has changed recently, the GPS in a Verizon 8330 works in Assisted GPS mode with VZNav, BBMaps, Bing, and Verizon's Social app, and nothing more. Installing a hybrid or leaked OS won't change that. Only Verizon can.

05-03-10 10:16 PM
    I'm on OS5 on my 8330, still only get cell-tower info in GMaps.
    05-03-10 10:29 PM
    I'm on OS5 on my 8330, still only get cell-tower info in GMaps.
    CarSalesman's post is incorrect.
    05-04-10 12:00 PM
    Yes, I was backing up your post with info from someone on the setup he claimed would fix it. I guess I didn't communicate that well.
    05-04-10 01:31 PM
    I pay to have the VZ NAV Had it on my LG on my Tour and now on the Curve 8530 I don't want to be reading maps when driving. I am very pleased with the VZ Nav It has been awesome and it is the most updated I have used. It is worth the monthly charge. If a good free one comes around that would be great, but I won't make a switch till something as good as VZ Nav comes around. Safety is important to me and the voice directions are great
    05-04-10 01:40 PM
    A-GPS is still blocked on ALL current Blackberry devices including the Tour and Storm 2! Remember folks, new blackberries have a dual GPS system built in (read the specs from RIMs official site on the type of GPS these devices use). What you are using for third party apps like google maps is the "Autonomous GPS" verses the "assisted GPS." There is a difference in performance as well as battery life between the 2. Read below for a bit of info on AGPS. Last I researched, Verizon was the only carrier that does not allow you to use its AGPS function for 3rd party apps. This is why CDMA devices are now equiped with this dual chip system. It keeps customers happy in giving them some sort of 3rd party usage out of it while still being able to keep its own blocks in place.

Its trivial for some folks, but at the end of the day, your 3rd party GPS options on Verizon are hindered because of the network block they impose on us making other carrier's GPS systems more affective for 3rd party use. Should that prompt you to switch services? That depends on what you care for most. But at the end of the day, its good to be informed and know what is being withheld from you as a customer

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/gp..._tutorial.html
    05-04-10 11:59 PM
    That link that refers to Verizon inhibiting GPS is over two years old.

To break it down to everyone, autonomous GPS is GPS using satellites without cell towers. A-GPS (assisted GPS) uses cell towers to help identify location.

I can't find anything recent to suggest that Verizon still blocks GPS or A-GPS. All GPS-enabled apps work fine for me, whether third party or not.

Look at Poynt, for example. It is able to get my location via cell-tower (A-GPS) AND autonomous GPS.
    Last edited by slinky317; 05-05-10 at 08:03 AM.
    05-05-10 08:00 AM
    Yes, that article is old. i turned off my network signal and opened BlackBerry Maps. i got 8 satellite locks in a minute. So i don't think VZW locks out autonomous. Did the same with Google Maps (cell signal off) and GM located me within 3 meters.

Perhaps some apps only use A-GPS, like VZ Navigator? But then that's VZW limiting their apps. Not blocking GPS.

05-05-10 08:22 AM
    The GPS is 8330s and 8830s operates in Assisted GPS mode only. Verizon only enables the GPS in their 8330 and 8830 to work with BBMaps, VZNav, Bing, and Verizon's Social app. The Storm, Tour and newer devices use autonomous GPS mode and work with all apps. Autonomous GPS mode doesn't require a signal from the carrier to operate, so Verizon can't block it by not providing the signal. The test chrisy performed is proof of autonomous mode operation. Whatever benefit might come from Assisted mode operation is far outweighed by being able to use your GPS without a cell signal and without carrier interference.

05-05-10 08:45 AM
    Yes, that article is old. i turned off my network signal and opened BlackBerry Maps. i got 8 satellite locks in a minute. So i don't think VZW locks out autonomous. Did the same with Google Maps (cell signal off) and GM located me within 3 meters.

Perhaps some apps only use A-GPS, like VZ Navigator? But then that's VZW limiting their apps. Not blocking GPS.

you have it backward. Verizon blocks "agps" and leaves autonomous GPS open since it does not use its network.

The article is old but the information should be current. This has been their stands for a long long time now and when they first started to allow GPS BBs to use GPS, they started to incorporate the dual feature for that very reason which is why it is only available on CDMA devices. Last I checked, GSM devices do not use dual GPS but I will check again
    05-05-10 08:47 AM
    The GPS is 8330s and 8830s operates in Assisted GPS mode only. Verizon only enables the GPS in their 8330 and 8830 to work with BBMaps, VZNav, Bing, and Verizon's Social app. The Storm, Tour and newer devices use autonomous GPS mode and work with all apps. Autonomous GPS mode doesn't require a signal from the carrier to operate, so Verizon can't block it by not providing the signal. The test chrisy performed is proof of autonomous mode operation. Whatever benefit might come from Assisted mode operation is far outweighed by being able to use your GPS without a cell signal and without carrier interference.

thats extremely debatable. AGPS uses less battery, provides a faster lock, and also provides locks in harder to reach places (e.g. indoors). Autonomous GPS is more of a line of sight GPS, its accuracy is based on your location, and it uses up more cell power to operate. The good thing about autonomous is that you dont need a signal so if your lost in the wilderness, it will perform. However, for us everyday users, AGPS is the biggest benefit. And as it stands, Verizon does not allow 3rd party apps to run on AGPS and as far as I know, they are the only real carrier to do this...
    05-05-10 08:51 AM
    VZ Navigator uses A-GPS. GM and Poynt use A-GPS when there's no satellite lock.

05-05-10 08:53 AM
    you have it backward. Verizon blocks "agps" and leaves autonomous GPS open since it does not use its network.

The article is old but the information should be current. This has been their stands for a long long time now and when they first started to allow GPS BBs to use GPS, they started to incorporate the dual feature for that very reason which is why it is only available on CDMA devices. Last I checked, GSM devices do not use dual GPS but I will check again
    I know you know Verizon doesn't have GSM phones, so I'm not sure what point you are making with that. Verizon does still block Assisted GPS mode for all but their apps and BBMaps, but that's irrelevant for new phones. There's no need for Assisted GPS when Autonomous GPS is working.

05-05-10 08:53 AM
    i also just remembered that i have BerryWeather set to Cell Site Location (to save battery) and it updates the weather to my location fine. Isn't that using A-GPS (9630)?

05-05-10 08:57 AM
    thats extremely debatable. AGPS uses less battery, provides a faster lock, and also provides locks in harder to reach places (e.g. indoors). Autonomous GPS is more of a line of sight GPS, its accuracy is based on your location, and it uses up more cell power to operate. The good thing about autonomous is that you dont need a signal so if your lost in the wilderness, it will perform. However, for us everyday users, AGPS is the biggest benefit. And as it stands, Verizon does not allow 3rd party apps to run on AGPS and as far as I know, they are the only real carrier to do this...
    Sorry, our posts crossed. If Assisted GPS will allow you to get a satellite lock inside a building, that's an indisputable benefit. The rest of the possible benefits you list are less clear. I'm not sure how Assisted GPS would use less power. Time to lock should be faster, but that's only a factor when starting up.

05-05-10 09:01 AM
    I know you know Verizon doesn't have GSM phones, so I'm not sure what point you are making with that. Verizon does still block Assisted GPS mode for all but their apps and BBMaps, but that's irrelevant for new phones. There's no need for Assisted GPS when Autonomous GPS is working.

Jeff, I was pointing out that the GPS chip differs between GSM and CDMA.

At the end of the day, yea, both can use GPS, but in my view a-GPS is more efficiant and in the competitive mobile environment, it gives Verizon BBs slightly less performance than other devices of equal comparison.

At the end of the day, I think its actually pretty trivial, but its still good to know this as a CB addict or enthusiest. Saying that it JUST works is looking at it from a very basic standpoint and I think most people on this site like details in their mobile education.

No disrespect intended however
    05-05-10 09:07 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD