Are there any Blackberrys on Verizon that have wifi capability?
    Last edited by blackrabbit; 08-14-08 at 12:05 AM.
    08-13-08 11:58 PM
    No there is not. None for any CDMA carrier.
    08-14-08 12:01 AM
    Damn. I hate Verizon's lack of good phones.
    08-14-08 12:06 AM
    Damn. I hate Verizon's lack of good phones.
    wifi sucks
    08-14-08 01:07 AM
    You can get great speeds with EVDO already, what do you need WiFi for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 01:13 AM
    Vzw doesn't have a lack of good phones. And wifi is a service which isn't device specific, so this has nothing to do with the phones themselves anyway.

Vzw doesn't provide wifi because they simply don't need it. As a poster previously stated, we have EVDO. Wifi is simply unnecessary.

08-14-08 01:15 AM
    Wifi is actually does a lot more than speed. You can talk on your BB via bluetooth and still browse the internet via wifi. Without wifi, no using internet while talking. Also with T-mo, you can make calls via wifi and not use your minutes. That is very nice for people.
    08-14-08 01:18 AM
    But isn't wifi relatively unreliable?

08-14-08 01:22 AM
    But isn't wifi relatively unreliable?

Some people have issues and some don't. I loved it when I had my 8820. I can't wait to get it back on the BOLD.
    08-14-08 01:24 AM
    You can get great speeds with EVDO already, what do you need WiFi for?

EVDO is barely past EDGE. UMTS is closer to WiFi if anything.
    08-14-08 01:25 AM
    Wifi is actually does a lot more than speed. You can talk on your BB via bluetooth and still browse the internet via wifi. Without wifi, no using internet while talking. Also with T-mo, you can make calls via wifi and not use your minutes. That is very nice for people.
    so its for cheap people?
    08-14-08 01:44 AM
    so its for cheap people?

Where do you get that its for cheap people? Because you can talk on wifi and not burn your minutes? People can have smaller plans because if they have wifi and they can talk for free. That does not make them cheap. That was a harsh comment.
    08-14-08 01:49 AM
    so its for cheap people?
    No, not at all. Say you are in a place with poor cell signal, but has Wi-Fi,
    you can still accomplish what you need to do. And being able to use voice
    AND data at the same time is a great benefit to some.
    08-14-08 01:50 AM
    wifi sucks
    UMA scares the pants off of the big carriers. If it ever gains traction, their fixed assets will experience accelerated depreciation.

It caught on in the UK first, limited coverage can be overcome by UMA and hosted connections.

The big dog in Europe don't miss many bones. DT saw the potential and unleashed the beast in Europe.

T-Mobile has made timid marketing steps in America, but the $10 deal is the envy of the UMA World.

UMA means network speed, all the time, anywhere in a hotspot.
    08-14-08 01:57 AM
    I dont have problems with the speed I get now. Wifi on my phone isnt that big of a deal. I rather have it on my laptop
    08-14-08 06:47 AM
    Wifi is a valuable feature. When doing international travel, I use logicmail to get mail, opera mini or the hotspot browser to browse the internet, listen to NPR radio (Moodio app), and Jivetalk to keep in touch with family and friends.

Another very useful app is "Live Search". It tracks down your position using the GPS built in device. It shows maps, directions, locates and gives information about restaurants and other places of interest.

Best regards,

Simon

Last edited by saristeg; 08-14-08 at 09:11 AM.
    08-14-08 07:19 AM
    Push email requires more connection to the carriers wireless signal. If you enable wifi, it can route email through that instead of through your carriers network.

The same applies for browsing. It requires much less energy browsing through local wifi than it does through your carriers network. I have noticed a 20% increase in battery life when I leave wifi enabled.

Some browsing scenarios might be device limited and wouldn't gain additional speeds from wifi instead of EVDO. This is definitely not the case with the Bold. It browses twice as fast on wifi as 3G.

Verizon cripples phones for revenue! They disable features like wifi, and sending images and ring-tones from your computer so you will instead purchase them.
    11-14-08 02:43 PM
    I think the whole wi-fi necessity varies greatly between those with Verizon Wireless and those with other carriers... Having been with Verizon for a few years...I've never missed or needed wi-fi. I've even used it on friends/family members phones and really didn't see anything to desire. However, if I was on a carrier that made it hard for me to get a good signal in my house, then of course I'd be upset when there was no wi-fi available...not everyone needs wi-fi. I can drive through "no-mans land" and get service...when you're out in the boondocks with no wi-fi and no phone signal what are you going to do?
    11-14-08 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD