My cheap/crappy Samsung phone (from Verizon) bit the dust. I would like to buy a good quality BB (maybe a Storm) but I don't need the e-mail or web browsing services right now. (This may change at a later date). Verizon won't sell me a BB and register it withOUT charging for e-mal/web browsing, so my question is, can I buy a BB Storm on the web and how would I port my phone number into it so it would work in place of my deceased Samsung??
    09-27-09 05:16 PM
    You will not be able to run a Blackberry on the Verizon network without the Blackberry data plan. It doesnt matter how it is purchased, once activated you need to add the plan so in order for Verizon to activate it.
    09-27-09 05:18 PM
    As a matter of fact, as of now, most phone companies require a data package on a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 06:07 PM
    sorry, as people said above, it's impossible
    09-27-09 06:38 PM
    No need really to have a blackberry without the plan. You need the data to take advantage of blackberry features. If you don't need those features then a cheaper dumb phone will work just as well.

09-27-09 06:52 PM
    It's sad that CDMA carriers are forcing you to take data plans like this. In the GSM world you can buy an unlocked phone and put in your SIM card, no hassle. BlackBerry or whatever you want.
    09-28-09 07:04 AM
    I had a treo without data? why? because I didn't want to carry my phone and pda....why have two devices when you can have one?

OP, you can look at a wm os phone and do pay as you go for data I believe. I did that before I made the jump to a full data plan.
    I never used data on pay as you go because the cost is astronomical, but it allowed me to have one device.

With, BB's there is so much constant data communication that it would be hard not to use data.....
    09-28-09 07:40 AM
    It's sad that CDMA carriers are forcing you to take data plans like this. In the GSM world you can buy an unlocked phone and put in your SIM card, no hassle. BlackBerry or whatever you want.
    Not sure that is true any more. It used to be, but seems time are changing
    AT&T to Require Data Plans for Smartphones - BusinessWeek
    AT&T to require smartphone data plans starting September 6th : Boy Genius Report
    09-28-09 07:59 AM
    Looks like T-mo is the only one that doesn't require a data plan.
    09-28-09 08:39 AM
    I had a treo without data? why? because I didn't want to carry my phone and pda....why have two devices when you can have one?

OP, you can look at a wm os phone and do pay as you go for data I believe. I did that before I made the jump to a full data plan.
    I never used data on pay as you go because the cost is astronomical, but it allowed me to have one device.

With, BB's there is so much constant data communication that it would be hard not to use data.....
    windows mobile phones require data plans as well
    09-28-09 08:54 AM
    I never understand why ppl want a smartphone with no data. Its basically saying you want to carry around a large expensive phone that you can't use.
    09-28-09 09:06 AM
    Yeah the argument for a bb without a data plan doesn't work, it isn't a perfect phone, it isn't a perfect pda, but when you add all the features together it makes a wonderful device. There are other choices, which are much better for a phone, pda function.

09-28-09 09:39 AM
    Looks like T-mo is the only one that doesn't require a data plan.
    I thought they did too. I haven't really looked in to them. This was from May, so I thought they did, but may have changed direction:
    Changes afoot at T-Mobile; smartphones to require data plans, family messaging rate hike : Boy Genius Report
    09-28-09 09:44 AM
    No disrespect but it's totally pointless to have a BB w/out data, email etc. Thats the whole point to the device. Get a regular phone!
    09-28-09 09:58 AM
    No disrespect but it's totally pointless to have a BB w/out data, email etc. Thats the whole point to the device. Get a regular phone!
    I agree 110% all the way. It's like getting an Xbox 360 but have no intention of upgrading to a gold acct.
    09-28-09 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD