Hello,

I'm new to Blackberries and the site, so please accuse me if this has already been discussed. I did a search, but didn't find actually what I was looking for.

I'm a PMC working in Afghanistan and recently purchased a Storm 2 for overseas use. I primarily stay in touch with friends and family through Skype, email, and IM, but the internet can be spotty and I wanted something that would enable me to keep in touch (secondary/back-up means). I use a company issued in-country phone for voice. I'll be using the Storm for BBM only - no voice, no email, no web browsing.

I've read and heard conflicting information on what package I need. The online assistant (verizonwireless.com) advised I only needed the standard data package ($29.99) and as long as I only use the BBM would not incur any additional charges. I thought this sounded to good to be true and visited a local Verizon store and was told I would need the GlobalEmail plan ($65/mth). According to that rep the GlobalEmail plan was required for the BBM - otherwise I'd incur intl roaming charges, but would have unlimited access to email and web browsing.

So, for BBM usage only in Afghanistan which plan do I need standard data or GlobalEmail?

Thanks,

Bill
    11-27-09 05:25 PM
    this should be moved to the Verizon forum so other verizon people can answer.
    11-27-09 10:02 PM
    i'm almost positive the way this works (works like this for ATT and TMo) is the following:

your standard $30 data package gets you unlimited in the US and *connectivity* wherever verizon/vodafone is operating. when you connect up to their network in another country, all voice and data is roaming, etc

your $65 international data package puts you on a roaming "white list" so as long as vodafone is in that country. you can suck down all the data you want and not have overages or roaming, since you're already on the "international" plan.

beware - TMobile lets you jump on and off this plan (since some people would only want international for 3 trips a year, not all year). ATT does NOT. ATT wanted me to pay the $65/month, regardless of if i went overseas or not, and they wanted a $175 early cancellation fee. outrageous.

i just switched to verizon 3 days ago, so i don't know enough about verizon specifically, but i can't imagine its too different.

I'm not sure if Verizon will let you cancel w/o a fee (i doubt it).
    11-27-09 10:24 PM
    I stopped in a 2nd Verizon store after dinner and was told again that the GlobalEmail is required; however, the rep advised that it can be activated and deactivated whenever/as needed to accommodate my travel (3 on/1 off).
    11-27-09 10:36 PM
    You basically need the international one (Global Email). My wife uses this when she heads to Canada and it covers all BBM/email/data. Usually its just another $30 add on on top of her regular $30 data plan.
    11-28-09 12:15 AM
    Hey I don't have anything to add here, except... have fun over there. There are some very beautiful areas. OEF IV: Bagram, Kandahar, Qalat
    11-28-09 01:17 AM
    Get your phone unlocked and a local SIM (so you won't get hosed on roaming). Also, be advised -- a LOT of people, not necessarily friendly, can hear everything your say, write or text. Maintain COMSEC and be safe.
    11-28-09 07:11 AM
    What Hossra said and watch your six. Happy Holidays.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD