09-09-09 08:34 AM
31 12
tools
    i want to stay with blackberry and i would like to go to Verizon because through work discounts i can get some good savings however Verizon is telling me i must get a data plan to have a blackberry, with my current cell provider and my blackberry i dont have a data plan, i pay for dsl internet at home and almost everywhere i go i have access to Wifi and i just cant see the point in paying for home internet and a data plan to have internet on my phone. so my question is , is there any other way of going to Verizon with a Blackberry phone and not getting a data plan ? all i really want is to be able to have a blackberry with cell service and texting i dont need email or internet.

Thanks

Timls3674
    Last edited by timls3674; 09-05-09 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-05-09 11:29 PM
    not possible, verizon requires a data plan with all smartphones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 11:33 PM
    Hi Timls! Well I'm sorry to say but no you cannot have a blackberry on Verizon without a data plan. Most carriers now are requiring customers with blackberries to have a data plan. I totally know what you mean by having the internet at home and wifi avaliable to you. However, Verizon also doesn't have any blackberries with wifi YET but there are two new blackberries that will have wifi coming to Verizon later this year. Hope this helps and welcome to Crackberry! Also there's this thing people around here really like it's called search. Lol. I want to go ahead and tell you now before the sharks getcha!
    09-05-09 11:33 PM
    If you don't need the internet and email then why do you feel that you need a Blackberry? Why not get a good feature phone like the EnV Touch?
    09-05-09 11:38 PM
    Honestly if you don't need internet and email I agree with jlamb.

My wife just got an EnV touch over a blackberry and shes happy as a pig in sh*t with it. It can get all kinds of apps on it that she likes, but only needs the 8.99 unlimited mobile browser data plan.

The EnV touch is alot like an LG iPhone without the actual internet, push email, etc.

I'd at least look into it.
    09-05-09 11:48 PM
    If your current carrier is AT&T or T-Mobile, you will need a data plan, too. They now require it, as well.

09-06-09 12:00 AM
    Not to mention you will not be able to bring your WiFi Blackberry over as this will not be compatible with VZW (because I know you don't have a VZW phone with wifi at the moment). You will need a VZW Blackberry.
    09-06-09 02:40 AM
    Honestly if you don't need internet and email I agree with jlamb.

My wife just got an EnV touch over a blackberry and shes happy as a pig in sh*t with it. It can get all kinds of apps on it that she likes, but only needs the 8.99 unlimited mobile browser data plan.

The EnV touch is alot like an LG iPhone without the actual internet, push email, etc.

I'd at least look into it.
    There is no $8.99 unlimited mobile browser data plan. Its $15.00 with a cap of 5gb. Starting Tues. the $15.00 plan will go away (unless you already have it) and it will be $9.99 for 25mb and $19.99 for 75mb. Another way for Verizon to sqeeze more money out of you
    Last edited by brihvac; 09-06-09 at 11:12 AM.
    09-06-09 08:57 AM
    These threads make me want to punch a baby.
    09-06-09 12:18 PM
    I know; its over and over and over and over...
    Just like my calls today.
    09-06-09 01:41 PM
    There is no $8.99 unlimited mobile browser data plan. Its $15.00 with a cap of 5gb. Starting Tues. the $15.00 plan will go away (unless you already have it) and it will be $9.99 for 25mb and $19.99 for 75mb. Another way for Verizon to sqeeze more money out of you
    Sucks for non-smartphone users... 25mb and 75mb is NOTHING...
    09-06-09 09:28 PM
    There is no 5GB cap for megabyte usage on the actual phone.
    09-06-09 09:58 PM
    The idea is for people to buy what they need not what they think is falshy and not want to pay for it. Y would you need a blackberry without internet and email the point of a smartphone is to stay connect in ways other than voice and text.
    09-06-09 10:01 PM
    The OP DID make a point though.... with a Wi-Fi enabled smart phone, there are not so many places these days where you wouldn't be able to use Wi-Fi instead of $Providers phone service. For example, I could get an aircard for my laptop and use that for internet access, but I can also just turn on the wireless card in just about every hotel, coffee shop, large book store, school campus, etc and use the internet for free, and at speeds faster than cell can provide, even at 3G speeds.

HOWEVER, that being said, I'd rather, for expediency sake, pay the 30.00 a month to VZW for an unlimited data plan on my BB than screw up and pay 200.00 in data overages or worse (remember the problems iPhone buyers had when they failed to get the right plan, or AT&T didn't put them on the right plan?)

As for the EnV Touch... it's nice. My wife got one the same night I got my Storm, and she likes it. The TWO problems we've had so far though are:

A: Cant load ring tones on it without using VZW Tones service. SO far, none of the free ringtones we've made or pulled off the internet can be loaded on the phone as a ringtone. They all end up listed as music tracks, and we can't set them as tones.

B: The ringer is muffled. Bad design flaw there. The speakers are on the inside of the door, so when you've got it closed, the sounds (including ringers, alerts and alarms) are muffled. The only real fix is to use small rubber feet on the door to keep it propped slightly opened.
    09-06-09 10:37 PM
    Seriously, I think it depends on where you live. Albuquerque's a pretty geeky town, but aside from the University of New Mexico, the airport, and a few up-all-night restaurants and coffee shop chains, it's not like wi-fi is readily available all over the place. It's not like I can turn on Wi-Fi in the middle of a park or anything.

Honestly, here you mostly find wi-fi when you're in own home. :P That's right folks, it's the router hooked up to your cable connection. And frankly, that's *not* good enough, unless you spend all your time there.

(Just my li'l opinoin.)
    09-06-09 11:57 PM
    No, there is no way, you can get the limited plan but then you will have to worry about going over.
    What plan is limited from Verizon?
    09-07-09 08:44 AM
    we dont offer the limited bb plan anymore.. than heavens.
    the limited plans for aircards and blackberrys are the stupidest idea ever.
    09-07-09 10:47 AM
    Exactly there are none so why would this guy be talking about getting a limited plan. The fact that they changed the unlimited broadband totally sucks. Everytime I talk to someone that still has unlimited I let them know to never ever let that service go.
    09-07-09 10:51 AM
    dude especially with the Mifi unit on the market now.. if you devide that up and have the limit amt of connections on there each connection technically gets 1g of usage a month... thats a fail in my book
    09-07-09 11:48 AM
    EPIC FAIL I love getting the overage calls for those though lol
    09-07-09 12:25 PM
    dude especially with the Mifi unit on the market now.. if you devide that up and have the limit amt of connections on there each connection technically gets 1g of usage a month... thats a fail in my book
    Yea, it sucks losing sales due to that. I had a guy that i had him sold on the mifi (yay new line!) but then after talking a little more i had to basically talk him out of it. He wanted to hook up him and his 4 childrens laptops in the house to use for various things such as DLing music and basically havent a wireless network at home.
    09-07-09 12:29 PM
    You would think there would be an option besides paying almost 200.00 for 10gig.

like making a higher priced plan unlimited but 60.00 is crazy for anything... I pay 24.99 for my internet and have a wifi connection and 3.5mg speeds... plenty for my doings.
    09-07-09 01:03 PM
    Yeah its pretty ridiculous to think that 5 people will stay under 5gb... I mean sure maybe you hardly get on but if I picked my closest 5 people gaming, downloading mad bittorrents and such we would be screwed.
    09-07-09 01:21 PM
    Whats even worse there are store reps and over the phone reps who dont know the diff between a mb or gb. And tell people they can watch things like hulu; and use things like skyp or oovoo without overages.
    09-07-09 02:05 PM
    The OP DID make a point though.... with a Wi-Fi enabled smart phone, there are not so many places these days where you wouldn't be able to use Wi-Fi instead of $Providers phone service. For example, I could get an aircard for my laptop and use that for internet access, but I can also just turn on the wireless card in just about every hotel, coffee shop, large book store, school campus, etc and use the internet for free, and at speeds faster than cell can provide, even at 3G speeds.

HOWEVER, that being said, I'd rather, for expediency sake, pay the 30.00 a month to VZW for an unlimited data plan on my BB than screw up and pay 200.00 in data overages or worse (remember the problems iPhone buyers had when they failed to get the right plan, or AT&T didn't put them on the right plan?)

As for the EnV Touch... it's nice. My wife got one the same night I got my Storm, and she likes it. The TWO problems we've had so far though are:

A: Cant load ring tones on it without using VZW Tones service. SO far, none of the free ringtones we've made or pulled off the internet can be loaded on the phone as a ringtone. They all end up listed as music tracks, and we can't set them as tones.

B: The ringer is muffled. Bad design flaw there. The speakers are on the inside of the door, so when you've got it closed, the sounds (including ringers, alerts and alarms) are muffled. The only real fix is to use small rubber feet on the door to keep it propped slightly opened.
    You can solve problem a by sending the free ringtones to your bb and then mms it to her. Its how most of my non bb friends get their ringtones. They have them sent to my phone and I mms it to them. Its really easy.

09-07-09 10:54 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD