I currently have a Treo 755p on VZ. I have been having more and more issues with the 755p and have already returned it one time for a replacement. I have been using Palms for over 10 years and am strongly considering going to a BB. The problem is that my contract does not expire till Jan of 2010 and I am not eligible for a "New Every Two" phone until October I believe. From what I have read and seen I am not all that impressed with the storm. I really like an actual keyboard and not an onscreen one like the one found on the Storm. So I was looking at the 8330 which looks nice. Are there any new BB's coming out on VZ - I have heard possibly the Niagara? Are there any opinions on the Niagara vs the 8330? Also, anyone have any recommendations on how to switch to a BB now and not have to pay full retail? I have been with VZ for 15+ years and have heard that they will sometimes bend things for long time customers. Thanks for any help!!!
    03-07-09 10:10 AM
    Well the Niagara is supposed to come out in May so I would wait for that. And maybe they would let you upgrade early. But idk cause I can't speak from experience. But it seems logical if you really are a customer of fifteen years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 02:28 PM
    Check the market place. also ebay. Can't go wrong with the 8330. But yes there is a new BB coming in May
    03-07-09 03:30 PM
    I was with VZ when they were Bell Atlantic Mobile. I know that I have had my number for at least 13 years or more. Anyway, is the Niagara supposed to be similar to the 8330? I am willing to wait especially if I cannot get a 8330 now from VZ. Thanks
    03-07-09 04:44 PM
    I was with VZ when they were Bell Atlantic Mobile. I know that I have had my number for at least 13 years or more. Anyway, is the Niagara supposed to be similar to the 8330? I am willing to wait especially if I cannot get a 8330 now from VZ. Thanks
    There was a picture of it on the main page like yesterday.
    03-07-09 04:58 PM
    Are you the primary phone number?

We just upgraded hubby early (wasn't due for the early new every 2 discount of $100 until April. Contract was suppose to end Aug 09)

Because he is the primary phone number (have a family plan) he gets a VIP discount of $50 and can renew the contract at the contract price, early. Renews only the primary line. Each line is on it's own contact. I found this out on the phone after the cell phone we had died. Cheap Krzr *sigh*

We did this last month, had to place the order on the phone to get the VIP discount. I was suppose to get the VIP discount online but the cart didn't acknowledge the VIP discount automatically. The CS rep honored the online rebate as it was a computer glitch with that VIP discount not showing and I paid like $30 for a new BB Curve with Verizon. Free shipping. 2 day not overnight for some reason unlike the online offer of overnight.

Hubby is VERY happy.

More than one CS rep verified this before payday and our buying. Remember, applies only to the primary phone line.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by ShepVet; 03-07-09 at 06:05 PM.
    03-07-09 05:29 PM
    So I am now thinking that I will wait for the Niagara as I really want to buy the newer technology. And, I checked out the picture and the 8330 and Niagara look pretty similar. Thanks
    03-07-09 06:06 PM
    Think of the Niagara as the Verizon version of the Bold, just not as big.
    03-07-09 06:10 PM
    Didn't verizon recently get rid of the new every 2 program for a $50 per year allowance with a max of $100?
    03-08-09 02:27 PM
    I believe you can get the 2 yr contract price, if you resign your contract as starting from that day. At least that was what someone told me. I haven't needed to try it out yet
    03-08-09 02:43 PM
    They may let you get away with it unless you abuse it like me. I got my first bb on VZW in December 07 the 8703 I think, this was right before the curve came to VZW. So in May I went in caused a scene and got an early upgrade to the curve. Then here comes the storm in November, I wanted that. Went in and I used my second lines upgrade. Now my wife wants her upgrade and has to wait for May. Because for $20 you can get the 2 year price at a year no matter what. That was my rout for 3 VZW BlackBerries within a year. Good Luck.
    03-08-09 02:53 PM
    I currently have a Treo 755p on VZ. I have been having more and more issues with the 755p and have already returned it one time for a replacement. I have been using Palms for over 10 years and am strongly considering going to a BB. The problem is that my contract does not expire till Jan of 2010 and I am not eligible for a "New Every Two" phone until October I believe. From what I have read and seen I am not all that impressed with the storm. I really like an actual keyboard and not an onscreen one like the one found on the Storm. So I was looking at the 8330 which looks nice. Are there any new BB's coming out on VZ - I have heard possibly the Niagara? Are there any opinions on the Niagara vs the 8330? Also, anyone have any recommendations on how to switch to a BB now and not have to pay full retail? I have been with VZ for 15+ years and have heard that they will sometimes bend things for long time customers. Thanks for any help!!!

Give verizon a call and see whether you qualify for what is called an upgrade exception.. if you have been a customer for a very long time the customer service representative can what is called an upgrade exception tool to see whether you can qualify for an early upgrade.. also if you are on a single line or the primary line on a family account you should be able to qualify for annual upgrade..
    03-08-09 02:56 PM
    Here's a thought. I wasn't eligible for an upgrade as of last December til October of this year. So I added a line for the BB. Then, just 2 weeks later, I got a letter from Verizon telling me I was able to upgrade NOW! Kinda ticked me off since I had just spent 189 on the Curve less a 70 dollar rebate that I still haven't sent in. If there are multiple lines on the account the CS folks will change whichever line you want to upgrade on to the primary line. I have done this several times to speed up the timing of new phones. Just a thought... maybe it can work if you have multiple phones on the plan.
    03-08-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD