I have a VZ BB Curve and was wondering if it was 3g? What exactly is 3g?
    10-10-08 01:53 AM
    Nope 3g is an att service high speed internet. Verizon is edge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 02:10 AM
    Nope 3g is an att service high speed internet. Verizon is edge.

LMAO! You should do some research before giving someone false information... CDMA Curves which are offered by Verizon & Sprint have 3G, CDMA does not offer "EDGE" because they are an all CDMA network which only feeds 3G frequencies. GSM in the other hand which is used by AT&T & T-Mobile(SIM Carriers)use "EDGE & 3G". EDGE and 3G are the same thing in the idea that they both provide internet to your phone only difference with the both of them is that 3G outputs more speed than EDGE, in other words 3G=Fast Internet & EDGE=Slow Internet... I won't go into much detail, all you have to know is that Verizon & Sprint Curves have 3G built into them and AT&T & T-Mobile Curves only use "EDGE", since they weren't build to handle 3G frequencies.

And NO at&t isn't the only one who provides 3G, T-Mobile also offers 3G only difference is that at&t has a wider/more coverage than T-Mobile meaning they (at&) offer 3G in more places than T-Mobile... Also at&t uses the 1900/2100 3G frequencies while T-Mobile uses the 1700/2100.
    10-10-08 04:30 AM
    I have a VZ BB Curve and was wondering if it was 3g? What exactly is 3g?
    Short answer: Yes, the 8330 is equipped with EVDO Rev. 0

Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-10-08 07:41 AM
    look at the back of your device qualcom 3g cdma
    10-10-08 09:19 AM
    Verizon and Sprint have been offering 3G Blackberries since the 8700 series.
    10-10-08 11:45 AM
    3G means 3 thousand. Hahaha j/k
    10-10-08 01:00 PM
    3G means 3 thousand. Hahaha j/k
    3 G actually means, 3rd Generation.
    10-10-08 04:58 PM
    LMAO! You should do some research before giving someone false information... CDMA Curves which are offered by Verizon & Sprint have 3G, CDMA does not offer "EDGE" because they are an all CDMA network which only feeds 3G frequencies. GSM in the other hand which is used by AT&T & T-Mobile(SIM Carriers)use "EDGE & 3G". EDGE and 3G are the same thing in the idea that they both provide internet to your phone only difference with the both of them is that 3G outputs more speed than EDGE, in other words 3G=Fast Internet & EDGE=Slow Internet... I won't go into much detail, all you have to know is that Verizon & Sprint Curves have 3G built into them and AT&T & T-Mobile Curves only use "EDGE", since they weren't build to handle 3G frequencies.

And NO at&t isn't the only one who provides 3G, T-Mobile also offers 3G only difference is that at&t has a wider/more coverage than T-Mobile meaning they (at&) offer 3G in more places than T-Mobile... Also at&t uses the 1900/2100 3G frequencies while T-Mobile uses the 1700/2100.
    Now that is doing your research before posting an answer. (A correct answer at that) That first answer to the OP did give me a chuckle, ignorance is funny sometimes.

10-10-08 05:00 PM
    Now that is doing your research before posting an answer. (A correct answer at that) That first answer to the OP did give me a chuckle, ignorance is funny sometimes.

Thank You! And I agree with you..
    10-10-08 06:34 PM

Great post. People need to understand that just because Verizon doesn't call their network 3G doesn't mean it isn't. For VZW its EVDO that provides the "3G" speeds and for AT&T its 3G that provides the "3G" speeds.. Both are 3rd generation networks.
    10-10-08 10:42 PM

in the end, your answer is correct, but all of your information is wrong.

3g = 3rd generation mobile data network

1g = analog
    2g = digital

for 2g, there was a split in technology to provide the digital service... CDMA and GSM/TDMA. in the US, verizon and sprint chose to use CDMA as the backbone of their digital service, with 1xRTT as the digital data backbone. for GSM, the tech runs on the TDMA method of frequency sharing for digital service, with GPRS as the digital data backbone.

GSM made some advances before implementing their true 3g data service, with EDGE being a speed increase but still uses the GPRS signaling method and is sometimes referred to as "2.5g" data service.

for 3g, CDMA service moved from the 1xRTT method to EVDO, or Evolution Data Optimized. for GSM, they moved to UMTS, which is a W-CDMA digital backbone.

3g CDMA is currently on Revision A, their fastest offering, since upgrading from EVDO Rev.0. 3g GSM is now using UMTS with HSUPA and HSDPA for its fastest evolution of data handling.
    10-11-08 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD