Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to set up an employee's personal BlackBerry with our Exchange server over IMAP. I can't do it directly from the phone it seems (Pearl running whatever the original OS was, 4.2 I think) as it fails with "POP server not found" and I see no options for IMAP.

I went to VZW's BIS site to see if I could manually create the account, but now I'm getting an error that I do not have access to the HTML BIS site after I try to create a new account. Is VZW blocking access to the BIS site, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
    08-10-09 09:36 AM
    Wait, are you trying to allow access to your BES on a BIS account device? If you are, it will not work. That phone needs to be on BES access.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 12:20 PM
    No, we do not have a BES. That's why I'm having it run through IMAP with BIS (or at least trying).
    08-10-09 12:23 PM
    Wait, are you trying to allow access to your BES on a BIS account device? If you are, it will not work. That phone needs to be on BES access.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sounds like bes access is needed. There should be an option, however, when you try to set it up you can click to put in your own settings, and insert the server name, username, password and email address try that?
    08-10-09 12:23 PM
    Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to set up an employee's personal BlackBerry with our Exchange server over IMAP. I can't do it directly from the phone it seems (Pearl running whatever the original OS was, 4.2 I think) as it fails with "POP server not found" and I see no options for IMAP.

I went to VZW's BIS site to see if I could manually create the account, but now I'm getting an error that I do not have access to the HTML BIS site after I try to create a new account. Is VZW blocking access to the BIS site, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
    Customer Service or the Store may have created a BIS account that he doesnt even know about, all you have to do is call customer service and give them the device PIN Number and they can search it in the BIS Admin and find if he already has a username and password. I get customers calls everyday that didnt know a username/pass was even setup for them. Once you get that info you can then login to the BIS website and activate his email.
    08-10-09 02:09 PM
    Once you create a account for the verizon BIS on the phone you can't do it from the web page. At least that is what the CS told me. I called and they set me up an account on the BIS web page and I was then able to log in and create/edit email account from both the web site and the phone.
    08-10-09 02:18 PM
    I asked the employee to call VZW and see what they have to say. Hopefully they'll get everything sorted out for her and then I can add the email account through the BIS website.

Thanks!
    08-10-09 03:41 PM
    true, once the account is set up on the BIS from the device, you will get the HTML error. VZW tech and convert the account for the account owner
    08-10-09 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the assistance everyone, I have access to the account now.

Currently the email is running through the OWA option, but the user is getting a message (saying success) every time she sends an email from the device. Is there a way to fix this? It's not acceptable for the head of school's BB to be doing this (once his gets set up).

Also, I can find no way to force IMAP. Any ideas?
    08-13-09 10:19 AM
    Sorry to bump, but does anyone have ANY ideas???
    08-15-09 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the assistance everyone, I have access to the account now.

Currently the email is running through the OWA option, but the user is getting a message (saying success) every time she sends an email from the device. Is there a way to fix this? It's not acceptable for the head of school's BB to be doing this (once his gets set up).

Also, I can find no way to force IMAP. Any ideas?
    Is she getting a delivery confiramtion? if so from the BB go in the messages ICON and hit the menu button and select options>email settings and then change confirm delivery to no.

As far as forcing IMAP - I beleive this has be set in the exchange server to allow IMAP.
    08-15-09 09:28 PM
    Is she getting a delivery confiramtion? if so from the BB go in the messages ICON and hit the menu button and select options>email settings and then change confirm delivery to no.

As far as forcing IMAP - I beleive this has be set in the exchange server to allow IMAP.
    Thanks for the information on delivery confirmation.

As for IMAP, it is indeed enabled on the Exchange server and all of the required ports are open on the firewall. From the Googleing I've done it seems like not entering the password when setting up the email account is supposed to give IMAP as an option - but it's not. I always get the message about POP not working. (It isn't since it's not enabled on the Exchange server, nor are the ports open.)
    08-15-09 09:46 PM
    Did you select "I will provide the settings to add this email account." on the following screen?
    08-15-09 11:39 PM
    Did you select "I will provide the settings to add this email account." on the following screen?
    Yes. That only gave the option for entering the POP settings or using OWA (what it's on now).
    08-15-09 11:41 PM
    To force IMAP you have to start with a bogus email like crackberry@crappy.com where it wont be able to find the mail server and will ask for all the settings. Then you can put in which server you want it to use and the settings you want.
    08-16-09 12:17 PM
    You are going to have more luck setting everything up as Outlook Web Access.
    Generally the BIS site will auto detect imap and pop the same way. Generally with just email address and password. I would set up OWA and u can set it up using the exchange url, username, mailbox name, email address, and access pw. This would be my suggestion.
    08-16-09 01:04 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone! Everything is working fine now. It looks like we'll be moving to all WinMo phones on Sprint soon since a BES is just too expensive for us (even at discounted EDU prices).

Thanks again,
    -MRCUR
    08-18-09 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD