I'm confussed on verizons BIS and Bes service. I had a curve with ATT and had their unlimited sms and mms text and data with BIS service.I was able to receive personal email and my company email with the ATT BIS plan. I switched over to verizon and requested the BIS plan for 29.99. I ask if that was unlimited text and mms and data and email and was told yes. I filled out the application and turned it in with this request but when the phone came I was billed for BES. I ask the tech when I called to activate the phone why I was billed for the BES and she said I couldnt receive company email with out it.
    I was receiving it before with ATT's BIS so why not with verizons?I dont want to be set up on the companies enterprise server cause this is my private phone.
    Is verizons 29.99 BB BIS plan unlimited data,text,mms and email? If so I can change the feature on my account. I dont want to be charged for the BES when I dont plan to activate it.

thanks for any info
    01-24-10 06:57 PM
    If your BIS worked before you don't need BES now. BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It basically allows your company to control your device.
    01-24-10 06:59 PM
    And to sync your data wirelessly , BES more corporate seucrity stuff as well
    01-24-10 07:02 PM
    On a blackberry they will remove the ability to do an enterprise activation. Sounds like you may not need it, so if you don't, feel free to remove the best type service from your account.

BUT! if you need the ability to do the enterprise activation. Don't remove it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 07:53 PM
    Most times the BES automatically provisions in the system when we switch phones to Blackberrys. Probably the rep just not manually changing it over to the BIS service. Also MMS/SMS are not included in this package. You will need a seperate text feature or a talk and text plan to accomplish this.
    01-24-10 08:10 PM
    That's what I wanted to know,if the BIS plan included sms and mms.Its unclear on their website and in the literature in their plan pamphlet.

01-24-10 09:19 PM
    No Blackberry plan includes SMS.
    01-25-10 12:28 AM
    No Blackberry plan includes SMS.
    Mine does - I have BIS and unlimited SMS texting. At least I think i do!
    01-25-10 09:29 AM
    Sorry bro. Texting is a separate package. SMS has nothing to do with BIS. I would make sure my text plan is properly set up, otherwise you may be going over your allotted amount.
    01-25-10 09:48 AM
    you have to pay $29.99 a month for the unlimited blackberry data, and then on top of that you have to pay another monthly fee for texting: $5 for 250 messages (no m2m), $10 for 500 messages w/ ulimited m2m, $15 for 1500 messages w/ ulimited m2m, $20 for 2000 messages with unlimited m2m.
    01-25-10 08:19 PM
    Not true I currently pay $50 for unlimited messaging, web, and email and that messaging does include text.
    01-25-10 11:42 PM
    As others have already posted...

IF you intend to connect to a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), then you need the BES plan ($45 per month). Its generally how businesses go because of the added security features (IT Poliicies) that can be setup on their BES to lock down devices, require passwords, remotely disable devices, etc and ENFORCE all those settings so the end user's can't change them.

If you are NOT using a BES to get your corporate email, then the BIS plan ($29.99) is fine. The BIS plan supports Gmail, imap, pop3, etc. and is generally what individual consumers use.

Both are Unlimited data plans which do NOT include SMS or MMS messaging.

Once you said "corporate email" the REP probably just assumed you wanted to connect to a BES to get that corporate email.

If you were using BIS only on your old BB and you had everything setup and working properly, then you just need BIS data on your new BB.
    01-26-10 11:09 AM
    That's what I did,swapped the BES for the BIS,my phone plan has unlimited text and mms, and yes I can still get my company email and my personal email with BIS. That's why I didn't want BES,they control enough now,this phone is MINE,
    The ATT plan I had on my curve had the bundle included, BIS,unlim. Text and mms all together,then my phone plan sep.

01-26-10 09:13 PM
    yeah, saying corporate email = $$$$$ to the reps and they're going to tag you with the $45 plan. Unless you're company uses BES, it's useless. The regular BIS will allow you to connect through OWA on exchange. It's not instant push though (can take 15min).
    01-26-10 09:24 PM
    hmmmmmm 30 data package plus 20 unlimited text package or 50 unlimited data, text, and email???????????? which one should i choose
    01-26-10 09:32 PM
    hmmmmmm 30 data package plus 20 unlimited text package or 50 unlimited data, text, and email???????????? which one should i choose
    I'm pretty sure that's the exact same pricing and features.. I would do the bundle if you get an ELEU discount because you get more of a discount on the lump sum instead of the added features. Otherwise, they are equal.
    01-26-10 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD