I currently have a Curve 8330 with Verizon and I LOVE it but I am eligible for an upgrade in February and am wondering what I should do. I was reading about the Essex and the WiFi coverage and thinking it may be a good buy for me if I am willing to wait. Or maybe I should just get the Tour 1? Here is what I am looking for:

1. Synchronization with Outlook, keybord, pretty much all the good Curve stuff I already have
    2. WiFi @ home- Though I live in LA, my particular neighborhood has the worst cell coverage, will the WiFi help with that?
    3. Travel - I will be spending a month in Europe next summer and want a phone that can work there and potentially work cheaply. Will WiFi help with that? I know my Curve won't work there.
    4. Web Browser - I really just need Facebook and a basic web-browser.

What do you think? Thanks!
    11-25-09 01:44 PM
    Re #2: WiFi won't help with cell coverage unless you get a T-Mobile phone with UMA. None of the other big carriers in the USA support calling over WiFi. (however, data should work over WiFi on all carriers)
    11-25-09 02:12 PM
    Verizon's GLOBAL plan would essentially add $40 to your monthly bill while in Europe. It provides UNlimited data - email and browsing cost nothing extra. Calls would cost 99cents/minutes in/out to/from local and USA. You retain your normal phone number. US callers pay nothing extra to call you. Problem might be for Europe locals calling you over there - they call the US number so international.
    Last edited by F2; 11-25-09 at 07:50 PM.
    11-25-09 03:40 PM
    If you travel get a phone like Tour or Storm with "world phone" capability -- that is, CDMA *and* GSM. When you are in the need of using your BlackBerry abroad, try and get a prepaid SIM card. This way you'll be able to use phone functionality as much as you are willing to pay. For data I don't recommend prepaid solutions, they often are EXPENSIVE. WiFi is good if there is WiFi, which I doubt unless you subscribe to Boingo or similar. Best of luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 03:44 PM
    Another option is to get whatever device want now, then look for a used 8830 WE for your trip to Europe. It doesn't have WiFi but it can do the things shinkodachi mentioned.
    11-25-09 04:10 PM
    Verizon also has a Global Traveler program where they will basically loan you an 8830. I think the time limit is one month though, then they charge you for it.

I've used it several times for some of my users traveling abroad. It's pretty easy.
    11-25-09 04:31 PM
    I'm heading out to Belgium next week and taking my BB Tour with me. Is there anything I should know before I go out there? I'll be there for a week and I'm going to call Verizon and get that global plan. Would I be able to use facebook and send bbm's without any additional fees while I'm out there?
    11-25-09 05:00 PM
    I'm heading out to Belgium next week and taking my BB Tour with me. Is there anything I should know before I go out there? I'll be there for a week and I'm going to call Verizon and get that global plan. Would I be able to use facebook and send bbm's without any additional fees while I'm out there?
    You'll need the global data plan which is a little more expensive, but they pro-rate it for the time you are on it. make sure they switch you back as soon as you return.
    11-25-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD