Please don't turn this into a flame fest about whether VZW can support this, or whether I should take my Storm or what case to use...I'm looking for some calm feedback, hopefully with some experienced folks help.

At any rate...

What I want to be able to do with my Blackberry (Storm), in order of importance -

1.) Receive/send emails.

Perceived issue - VZW/Voda may/may not support data coverage in Iraq. I am wondering if I use a GSM sim card, that supports data, this could still work. If I did use another carriers sim card, would I need to set up a different BIS account sort of thing?

2.) Make phone calls with the stock sim card (VZW/Voda), by way of VZW or one of their partners, retaining original stateside cell number.

Perceived issue - I have heard the cost of calls made, if they can even be made on the VZW/Voda/partner network, are costly, $2 or so per minute. However, I would just like the confidence of being able to make those calls in emergencies or while I'm getting my feet wet looking for a different way to communicate.

3.) Replace stock sim card with locally purchased to make phone calls, fully knowing my number will be something different.

Perceived issue - none really. With the Storm being quad band, I shouldn't have much issue not being able to get on a network.

I appreciate any feedback or even present some issues I may have not considered.
    Last edited by mtoomey79; 03-26-09 at 12:00 AM.
    03-25-09 10:17 PM
    03-25-09 10:19 PM
    Yes. Thanks.

Like I said, it's not much help.
    03-25-09 10:23 PM
    I do believe you will have to get yer storm unlocked to be able to use a sim card other than vzw
    03-25-09 10:24 PM
    I do believe you will have to get yer storm unlocked to be able to use a sim card other than vzw
    I understand that.
    03-25-09 10:25 PM
    Yes. Thanks.

Like I said, it's not much help.
    I guess we'll just have to do all the clicking for you...
    Calling From Iraq
    Calling From Iraq

Any questions?
    03-25-09 11:49 PM
    I guess we'll just have to do all the clicking for you...
    Calling From Iraq
    Calling From Iraq

Any questions?
    I'll take your sarcasm and reply with some of my own...

Don't you think I already saw that, either on my own or from the other poster?

Why would VZW have pricing for minutes in Iraq, but no coverage map?

I appreciate you going to the exact same websites I did as well, obviously you overlooked Global Phone which gives pricing for usage in Iraq, but no coverage map.
    03-26-09 12:04 AM
    Simply because they don't own the network and don't have agreements over there.

No agreements or network, no coverage map.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 12:10 AM
    Simply because they don't own the network and don't have agreements over there.

No agreements or network, no coverage map.

Not to harp on the point...

Are they laying out pricing in the case they do get an agreement and coverage?

Any help on the other items?
    03-26-09 12:12 AM
    Screw all these guys and being sarcastic.

Here's the number to VZWs international phone sales department. I am getting ready to go to Kuwait and they helped me get squared away with everything I needed to know/ bunch of questions I had. I'm sure they will be A LOT more help than these sarcastic a**clowns on here.

1 800 711 8300 vzw world phone department
    03-26-09 02:34 PM
    Only helpful information I have is a +1 for Vodaphone's rental program ... Although I do it from a business standpoint (therefore the rental is just a "cost" to me) ... They have always been helpful and complete. Good luck!
    03-26-09 02:44 PM
    When I was over there a few years ago the only phone service that worked was ATT and was charging something like $2 per minute. A world phone was needed too. I didn't have a phone myself but knew some who did. Wife had looked into it for me too but we didn't do it. I'm sure lots may have changed since then though. Good luck.

03-27-09 01:18 AM
    F anyone who gave a sarcastic reply to this guy,,,all he wants to do is call his family from a god forsaken country and you r breakin his b@11s wtf?
    sorry i have no answer to your question but be safe we still care!!!
    03-27-09 01:28 AM
    F anyone who gave a sarcastic reply to this guy,,,all he wants to do is call his family from a god forsaken country and you r breakin his b@11s wtf?
    sorry i have no answer to your question but be safe we still care!!!
    I second you. I got pissed reading this thread. These people obviously have never been to war serving their country or had their children in harms way doing the same. Good luck to you man. I hope you find out how to use your phone from Iraq. My son deploys in a few months and I hope his phone will work, although not a BB. When I was over there during first gulf war we didn't have Cells. Good luck to you man and thanks for your service.

USAF RETIRED
    03-27-09 10:13 AM
    Ok. I am not sure how the Storm would work but it sure wouldn't work from a Verizon standpoint. U will need your phone unlocked and use another sim card. But the sim cards they sell only does voice. So I would suggest leaving it home and using something else to call home with.

OIF 3 vet

03-27-09 10:54 AM
    Good luck just got back not that long ago I bought a cell phone from a Iraqi national, that came with a sim card. but like he just said you won't beable to use the data on it ie internet email etc.. It also depends on where you are going in Iraq, I know you can't tell me, but there are certain parts that you won't get very good service with. hope this helps.
    03-27-09 11:08 AM
    I would think your best option would be to get a SIM there. VZW Global support should have no problem giving you the unlock code. You MAY be able to find a SIM there that includes data, but those are much harder to find and you may have PIN issues too.

Are you going over on a military deployment? VZW might have special rates for that and I believe almost certainly they can suspend your account (and contract) for a military deployment.

If you can live without the data an Iraqi SIM is your best option, and just use it for call, and then use an internet cafe (or base computers????) for your internet needs.
    03-27-09 11:32 AM
    I'll take your sarcasm and reply with some of my own...

Don't you think I already saw that, either on my own or from the other poster?

I appreciate you going to the exact same websites I did as well, obviously you overlooked Global Phone which gives pricing for usage in Iraq, but no coverage map.
    Since your original post and previous responses said nothing about needing a coverage map, how was anyone supposed to know that's what you wanted? "That's no help" doesn't explain your issue.

Its easy for verizon to quote you a voice rate since they are the one billing you. They cannot provide a coverage map since its not their network. Some other countries do have coverage maps but its only in well developed countries.

03-27-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD