My first post here is about getting a Blackberry. My current situation:

My wife and I have a family plan with Verizon with 2 phones. Her contract is up now and mine is up next year (June 1st). She is the primary on the account.

What we would like to do is have her get a BB Storm for $199.99 and get the other free, which I would use. Will Verizon have any problem with us doing this? I've talked to a Verizon member at a kiosk and he said no, my contract would have to be up also. Not sure how in the know he was since he didn't even know about the BOGO deal in the first place and tried to say only Best Buy was doing it after I showed him the ad.

I'm looking for someone who has done this already or tried every avenue and was still shot down. It seems like it should work since both phones will be activated with a 2 year contract.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
    05-20-09 03:31 PM
    My first post here is about getting a Blackberry. My current situation:

My wife and I have a family plan with Verizon with 2 phones. Her contract is up now and mine is up next year (June 1st). She is the primary on the account.

What we would like to do is have her get a BB Storm for $199.99 and get the other free, which I would use. Will Verizon have any problem with us doing this? I've talked to a Verizon member at a kiosk and he said no, my contract would have to be up also. Not sure how in the know he was since he didn't even know about the BOGO deal in the first place and tried to say only Best Buy was doing it after I showed him the ad.

I'm looking for someone who has done this already or tried every avenue and was still shot down. It seems like it should work since both phones will be activated with a 2 year contract.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

I think it works only if both accounts are up for renewel or ON two completely new accounts..

Correct me if im wrong?

but when you sign a contract and grab a phone they subsidize the cost of said phone reason being that you will spend the money over the 2 year agreement if they were to give you a BOGO then the subsidization would not follow the original contract or be fair to others who cant upgrade simply because they arent doing a bogo
    05-20-09 04:04 PM
    yeah, unfortunately both lines have to be due for an upgrade to take advantage of this. I speak from first-hand experience as my wife bought a Curve a few weeks ago, and I thought, heck, I'll try a Curve too while I wait for the newer models to come out, but my line (I'm the primary on family share) isn't due for an upgrade until August, so they wouldn't let us use the BOGO.

anyway, good thing I couldn't, as I would have had to upgrade my line and would have lost my upgrade for the Tour/Atlas/Odin/whatever is coming next.
    05-20-09 04:12 PM
    If your upgrade date is that close call 611 and ask if you do both if they'll move yours up. If you've been with us for a while and have a good payment history I don't see why not.
    05-20-09 04:56 PM
    My wife and I did end up getting both Storms. What we had to do was get a 3rd line for $9.99. I put my old phone on the new line then put the Storm on my current line. Our bill will be $70 more a month now ($60 for 2 data plans and $10 for the 3rd line).

It worked out pretty nice since both Storms cost us $107 out the door. They were $199.99 and my wife had the $100 new every 2 credit.
    05-21-09 01:53 PM
    My wife and I did end up getting both Storms. What we had to do was get a 3rd line for $9.99. I put my old phone on the new line then put the Storm on my current line. Our bill will be $70 more a month now ($60 for 2 data plans and $10 for the 3rd line).

It worked out pretty nice since both Storms cost us $107 out the door. They were $199.99 and my wife had the $100 new every 2 credit.
    Thats what my wife and I were going to do, but she doesnt want a BB. My question is...Can you then cancel that 3rd line? Is there a certain time that the line needs to be open?
    05-21-09 02:07 PM
    Thats what my wife and I were going to do, but she doesnt want a BB. My question is...Can you then cancel that 3rd line? Is there a certain time that the line needs to be open?
    That's a good question. At first I figured it would be up next year when that line was set to renew but I'm not sure if it got the 2 year treatment because of the number change. I'll have to call them and find out.
    05-23-09 04:03 AM
    I bought my BlackBerry off of Craiglist brand new.....no ties to verizon at all.
    05-23-09 05:13 AM
    I dont think the extra line carries a 2 year agreement...at least I hope not.
    05-23-09 11:40 AM
    I dont think the extra line carries a 2 year agreement...at least I hope not.

I am pretty sure it does carry a agreement if they subsidize a phone for it...

Thats why they subsidize phones for a contract...
    05-23-09 03:50 PM
    I am pretty sure it does carry a agreement if they subsidize a phone for it...

Thats why they subsidize phones for a contract...
    Can someone tell me for sure?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 10:05 PM
    The way it works is you need 2 lines eligible for a upgrade and for example you buy the storm for $199.99 with no rebate and the second BB you just pay taxes. Dont forget though that Verizon requires a data package per BB you get, the chepeast being $29.99 thats the reason its on a promotion of BOGO because we will make our money back that way, oh by the way i work for Verizon..
    05-23-09 11:51 PM
    that extra line has a contract on it.

no doubt.
    05-23-09 11:55 PM
    Can someone tell me for sure?

well the lines have to be eligible for an upgrade so that means if you buy the phones at a discount or in the BOGO promo then you will have to sign a 2 year contract for each line
    05-24-09 12:01 AM
    that extra line has a contract on it.

no doubt.

yupz this is what I thought. Thats the entire reason why they subsidize a phone to begin with.. otherwise you can just pay full retail and not have a contract
    05-24-09 12:58 AM
    Good to know. I did get an email from Verizon about adding a line of service and getting a BB for free since I had bought the storm recently. That's why I asked because if I added The line with the free BB then switched the BB to my wife's number I would still be paying the $10 for that third line. Guess I'm a cheap a$$ worrying about that $10 per month.

05-24-09 04:42 PM
    Good to know. I did get an email from Verizon about adding a line of service and getting a BB for free since I had bought the storm recently. That's why I asked because if I added The line with the free BB then switched the BB to my wife's number I would still be paying the $10 for that third line. Guess I'm a cheap a$$ worrying about that $10 per month.

nah ten bucks is ten bucks.
    05-24-09 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD