05-06-10 01:10 AM
63 123
tools
    LOL...people...it's all about what works best for YOU.

I had Sprint for a couple years about eight years ago and I always had coverage issues. I switched to Verizon and have had two, maybe three dropped calls in the past six years. It's no longer an issue.

If Sprint has improved so it's no longer an issue on their network, then great! But there are obviously other factors at hand here. For me, over half my friends and most of my family are on Verizon. I also get a corporate discount. As it turns out, I never approach any limits on my account and I pay less than I would if I were with Sprint.

So while I can understand how Sprint would be the best bang for your buck, it ISN'T for me.

Oh well...to each his own. Just be glad that we have as many options as we do.
    05-04-10 08:48 AM
    All this is fine, and the math be what it is, the only thing that matters to me is

Please tell me where I can find a savings account that pays 10%!!
    05-04-10 09:01 AM
    All this is fine, and the math be what it is, the only thing that matters to me is

Please tell me where I can find a savings account that pays 10%!
    hahahahaha exactly!! another OP fail.

i'm happy to pay a 100 bucks a month to vzw because i know i have service. with sprint or t-mobile you don't know if you will have serivce on that summer road trip with your friends.
    05-04-10 09:11 AM
    People use VZW and AT&T because most of the second tier carries are at the least sub-standard. The old addage is true-you get what you pay for. Also, in rural areas VZW and AT&T are sometimes the only option.
    I had two choice: Us Cellular or AT&T. I had a bad experience with USCC so I opted for ATT when I had the chance. If I had any other options, I would have taken them.
    05-04-10 10:29 AM
    For the life of me can not figure out why people use Verizon and ATT plans.

They are roughly $50 more per month vs Sprint Unlimited plan.

Just looking at the numbers and you will see what I mean.

$50.00 month x 12 Months = $600 year

Doing this over 40 years...say from 20 years old to 60 years old.

That is $600 a year.
    Invested at 10% return (very conservative return for 40 year time frame)
    40 years of investing

$292,111.09

That is how much verizon and ATT are costing you.

Crazy.......

Here is a tip for you:

If you don't eat for that period of time, it will save you even more
    05-04-10 11:50 AM
    $600x40 is 240k. I wasn't talking about some 'high interest savings account'. I was saying straight multiplication. 240k/10% is 2400. Sheesh, really guys? Really??
    600 x 40 = $24,000. Not $240,000.
    05-04-10 01:54 PM
    Funny no one compared how much you pay your trash company, or electric company....
    My trash bill is free my electric bill is 60.00 to 70.00 dollars a month nothing to complain about that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 01:55 PM
    i simply have nothing to put into this, but this post is just amusing to me. first, you got the ones complaining or comparing services, then you have the ones trying to correct the math and just the random one; like myself. haha.
    05-04-10 02:04 PM
    Did you know the avg person will spend upwards to 5k in milk cost in a lifetime!!! what a scam!!!

you can do this math with anything..
    05-04-10 02:06 PM
    Here in my town it's AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. AT&T just put up towers late last year and it's only EDGE. No thanks. Sprint's coverage is good except for right east of town and Verizon is putting up towers where the Alltel (I was assimilated from Alltel) coverage was shoddy in a couple areas. Sufficed to say, I am probably get a new job where I can get a corporate discount so I will probably just stay with Verizon if they truly cover everywhere I need them to.
    05-04-10 02:17 PM
    Did you know the avg person will spend upwards to 5k in milk cost in a lifetime!!! what a scam!!!

you can do this math with anything..
    I drink A LOT of milk, I bet I'll spend more. IM OUTRAGED!!!!!

:P
    05-04-10 02:20 PM
    Sprint's unlimited plan is $70/month, $840/year (for now) Using the same formula, (excel FV(10%, 40, $840) ) means I'd save $372K. ($443K if compounded monthly) if I just do not get a Sprint account at all. If Verizon costs $50 more per month, then the future value of 40 years of $120/month payments at 10% would be worth $637K ($758K if compounded monthly)

Do you all realize what this means? By choosing to not get two more Verizon phones, I'll save over a million dollars!! Hello retirement fund!

We might want to delete this thread before some politician sees it and decides to initiate vast sweeping new government spending projects funded via Verizon account avoidance.
    05-04-10 02:27 PM
    Those of you who argue that Sprint's coverage in rural areas is subpar, you are correct. However, if you visit those areas infrequently, it'd still come out cheaper to just roam during those few times you need it.

Just like back in the day, I could've added free roaming (voice) onto my Sprint plan for $5/month. But that's $60/year, which I don't need to roam that often.
    05-04-10 04:47 PM
    LOL...people...it's all about what works best for YOU.

I had Sprint for a couple years about eight years ago and I always had coverage issues. I switched to Verizon and have had two, maybe three dropped calls in the past six years. It's no longer an issue.

If Sprint has improved so it's no longer an issue on their network, then great! But there are obviously other factors at hand here. For me, over half my friends and most of my family are on Verizon. I also get a corporate discount. As it turns out, I never approach any limits on my account and I pay less than I would if I were with Sprint.

So while I can understand how Sprint would be the best bang for your buck, it ISN'T for me.

Oh well...to each his own. Just be glad that we have as many options as we do.
    Same here I always had dropped calls on Sprint but with Verizon hardly ever,plus my discount and I come out even.
    05-04-10 04:59 PM
    Sprint is the last carrier I would choose between the big 4. I've used/tried Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T (I have excellent coverage with them all).

Verizon is the best, followed by T-Mobile and then AT&T.
    05-04-10 05:55 PM
    600 x 40 = $24,000. Not $240,000.
    the OP obviously never passed Math in school lol
    05-04-10 06:02 PM
    Why can't we all be friends?
    The OP might have messed up on there math, but hey, math isn't my strongest point either. We're all good at different things but here, we all enjoy one thing for sure, and thats Blackberry.
    05-04-10 06:51 PM
    Lucky in the States its only a 2 year agreement, here in Canada its 3 years also with an expensive but decent plan $80 for voice + data + add on package :/

05-04-10 07:58 PM

Please tell me where I can find a savings account that pays 10%!!
    Me too! The last CD I had paid a whopping 3%!!! PARTY TIME!!!!
    05-04-10 08:10 PM
    the OP obviously never passed Math in school lol
    it was glitch that glitched an extra 0 in his math, but the OP's math was correct, $600 a year for 40 years compounded at 10% interest will give you over a quarter million dollars when you're done. If the Sprint plan and service meet your needs, then you rreally ought to switch to it and save that $50 a month. $50 a month can add up if you save it. That interest inflated quarter million dollars is a striking difference from the $24K you'd have without interest. Reminds me of a song
    If you invest your tuppence wisely in the bank, safe and sound,
    Soon that tuppence, safely invested in the bank, will compound.
    And you’ll achieve that sense of conquest as your affluence expands
    In the hands of the directors who invest as propriety demands.

You see, Michael, you’ll be part of: Railways through Africa!
    Dams across the Nile! Fleets of ocean greyhounds!
    Majestic, self-amortizing canals! Plantations of ripening tea!

All from tuppence, prudently, fruitfully, frugally invested
    In the — to be specific — in the
    Dawes, Tomes, Mousely, Grubbs Fidelity Fiduciary Bank!

When you deposit tuppence in a bank account, soon you’ll see
    That it blooms into credit of a generous amount semiannually.
    And you’ll achieve that sense of stature as your influence expands
    To the high financial strata that established credit now commands.

You can purchase first and second trust deeds!
    Think of the foreclosures! Bonds! Chattels!
    Dividends! Shares! Bankruptcies! Debtor sales!
    Opportunities! All manner of private enterprise!
    Shipyards! The mercantile! Collieries! Tanneries!
    Incorporations! Amalgamations! Banks!

Tuppence, patiently, cautiously trustingly invested
    In the — to be specific — in the
    Dawes, Tomes, Mousely, Grubbs Fidelity Fiduciary Bank!

Really though, my problems with amassing that quarter million dollars (aside from inability to find 10%) are that if I avoided paying $50 a month on the cell phone, I'd spend it on wine women and song (sex, drugs and rock'n'roll for the younger crowd), and since I'm not in that younger crowd, I doubt I've got another 40 years left in me anyway (and $50 more towards SD&R&R might shorten it more), but if I do live that long, in 40 years I'll be too old to know what to do with a quarter million dollars, which, in 40 years, might only be worth enough to buy three medium coffees at Starbucks.
    05-04-10 08:19 PM
    I agree with you on the fact that Sprint will go out of their way to try and keep you as a customer. But sadly this I'd due to the fact that they do such a horrible job upfront that they are constantly having to "retain" customers.
    Could you be a little bit more vague? So what exactly, in your opinion, is Sprints' job "upfront"...? They provide you cellular service. So if they have spotty coverage in your area, then they're not you're best option. Thus, making you choose AT&T and their overpriced service.

Even if AT&T has good coverage in your area, it's still way overpriced. And I hope you never have an issue with your account that you need to sort out/troubleshoot. Every CSR I've ever came in contact with in my 2 years were useless, rude, and couldn't care less if I was a satisfied customer (And I had 3 lines of service, all iPhones)
    05-04-10 09:47 PM

That is $600 a year.
    40 years of investing

$292,111.09

Crazy.......
    Wow, I never thought on how it adds up.
    05-04-10 10:22 PM
    Don't forget to factor in the huge loss from the market crash when calculating what we could have saved.
    05-04-10 10:56 PM

That is $600 a year.
    40 years of investing

$292,111.09

Crazy.......
    LOL I just love Sprint fanboys....

1. Newsflash: Verizon and AT&T are better than Sprint. They have invested more into their networks which are more reliable Ergo they need to recoup some of those costs. Yes you can roam on Verizon but as I understand it that's voice roaming which is worthless with a BB. You get what you pay for.

2. You clearly have more time on your hands than I do that you have taken the time to this posts so,do yourself a favor and do the same comparison on the cost of owning a car, having cable/satellite TV, High Speed Internet, all of the other things that you use daily to make your life a little better. Your cel phone bill doesn't look that bad after all.
    05-05-10 12:01 AM
    I agree that Sprint is by far the best bang for your buck.

At least in my area, I get superior service, superior customer service(always willing to do whatever was needed to make me happy) and a superior rate plan that can't be beat.

The "big 4" in my area are Verizon,AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel/Boost, with Cricket not far behind since their incredible move into the east coast last year.

I've had Verizon, Virgin Mobile(prepaid) and Sprint and the other two really lacked in one or more areas. Verizon was atrocious in the CS department, and their plans were not competitive. VM simply had substandard service.

My sister has AT&T for the moment, and while she loves her iphone, she always complains about her bill and service.

Sprint has certainly been an enjoyable experience for me, with rate plans that can't be beat.

You DO realize that Virgin Mobile is a reseller for SPRINT, right? ;-)
    05-05-10 12:09 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD