I activated my new vzw blackberries last night and had both mine and my wife numbers ported over from alltel. I did some quick changes and then ran through enterprise activation on my device and hit the bed while all of the settings from my previous blackberry came down. Today I realized I have horrible reception with vzw. I used the speed test software from extreme labs and I am getting 2.72kbs when I can get it to even run. With alltel I always got around 80 kbs. I figured I would give cs a call and see if they could do anything, and they had me run through *228 1, do register now from the host routing table, and they said they re-pushed service books. My phone still seems to hop between 1x, 1X, and 1xev every minute or so, and I dropped 2 calls this afternoon. I never dropped calls in the entire 2 years I was an alltel customer.

They also told me that since my number porting was happening starting last night it could take 72 hours and I need to wait it out "because something may be stuck". She couldn't tell me what may be "stuck", so I just agreed to call back Saturday. The rep even told me that there is a tower within 1.1 miles of me so my reception should be excellent. I have searched and found a few threads on folks with similar issues, but the whole waiting on the number porting thing makes no sense to me. Should I wait it out or keep calling until this is fixed? I guess my fear is that I may get stuck with this 2 yr plan and crappy reception like I did with AT&T a few years back. I foolishly assumed vzw would get the great reception alltel did at my house

Any ideas, guidance, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    10-01-09 08:42 PM
    IF they are tours, go into options>mobile network and change Global to 1XEV. See if this helps
    10-01-09 08:44 PM
    IF they are tours, go into options>mobile network and change Global to 1XEV. See if this helps
    Thanks for the idea. I did not know that option even existed. Changed it, then did a battery pull and still bouncing between 1x, 1X, and 1XEV, and having slow data speeds.
    10-01-09 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the idea. I did not know that option even existed. Changed it, then did a battery pull and still bouncing between 1x, 1X, and 1XEV, and having slow data speeds.
    Ask them for the Hybrid PRL and this should get your service back to where it was.
    10-01-09 10:42 PM
    Ask them for the Hybrid PRL and this should get your service back to where it was.
    Agreed, this would be a logical step to take. Also keep in mind that on my tour and I an not in an Altell area I had the situation my 1XEV seeting would revert back to Global after a reset. I installed OS .53 this seemed to have solved this setting issue. So I would double heck the setting again. Unfortunatly .53 was pulled very quickly.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-01-09 at 11:10 PM.
    10-01-09 11:07 PM
    Yes, call back tommorow and ask them to send the Hybrid PRL. They are able to instantly push it now, no longer do you have to wait 48 hrs.
    10-02-09 01:34 AM
    Big yes to the hybrid PRL. They did this for me and my wife, and it made all of the difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 11:52 AM
    South, Northeast, and some midwest area are all able to OTA the hybrid PRL via *228 option 2.
    10-02-09 12:16 PM
    South, Northeast, and some midwest area are all able to OTA the hybrid PRL via *228 option 2.
    Thanks. I tried this and now my prl is 65048. I am not at home to verify reception is better, but I think that was the hybrid number I read in a different thread. I wish I would have checked to see what the prl was before the *228, 2, but I am exited to go home tonight and see if data is working again for me! At work now, and as always the service is outstanding, so the real test will come tonight.

Thanks you all for replying with advice. It is pretty cool to see that the issue should be easily handled, and that I am not the only one.

10-02-09 01:16 PM
    Yep this is the hybrid PRL - any PRL begining with 650 is a hybrid.

Report back and let us know the out come
    10-02-09 02:21 PM
    Yep this is the hybrid PRL - any PRL begining with 650 is a hybrid.

Report back and let us know the out come
    Exactly what I needed I guess. I have been on 1XEV ever since the new prl. I am even getting good download and upload speeds now. Same for my wifes phone. I streamed slacker for about 20 minutes also with no issues. I am testing in the same area that I was dropping phone calls yesterday. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my post. Thank you.

10-02-09 06:17 PM
    I'll just be glad when the network integration is complete.
    10-02-09 07:09 PM
    Also try going into the programming menu ##000000 send... Go to sip password and enter vzw and press menu and save. Device should power cycle and bump to 1XEV consistantly.

10-02-09 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD