I have seen online that Verizon has put in with the FCC for service in Alaska. The articles are a few months old now. How can I find out any updates? I am anxious about it because AT&T has been the only national provider there.
    01-03-11 02:00 PM
    Verizon has had service there for some time. Its all roaming agreements but still available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 02:07 PM
    Verizon Wireless adds Alaska to 700 MHz spectrum stable - RCR Wireless News

It looks like they will only provide LTE coverage in the near future. We won't see voice on LTE for several more years.
    01-03-11 08:06 PM
    Verizon in AK is horrible! You actually roam the entire time. There are no Verizon stores. They peddle ACS or GCI which is CDMA service and the phones are very limited as far as selection is concerned. AT&T is the primary provider of service in AK. They have AT&T stores all over the place. It's also 3G in Anchorage. Also be warned that once you leave Anchorage, Wasilla, Seward, Girdwood, Denali or Fairbanks you WILL NOT have service at all. This holds true for most of the state! I'm spoiled rotten from living in Northern Virginia and going to AK for business and having limited service, but they don't seem to be too concerned about it. The tools of choice are a SUV/Truck, a 5 gallon can of fuel and a gun of some type. Cell phone towers do not seem to be high on the priority list. If you ever go off road and not by choice, someone will always stop and help you!
    Last edited by AFCEA; 01-05-11 at 04:01 PM.
    01-05-11 03:52 PM
    Okay. Thank you. This is all good information. I had ACS for the 30 trial period and they had the most awful customer service. I am not sure why other national providers are lacking in Alaska. It is very frustrating. I am living in AZ but I need to keep my 907 number so my mom can call me from a landline if she needs to. I guess I'll just have to put up with ATT's reception until something better comes along.
    01-06-11 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD