I am wanting to hear from Verizon customers who currently use an aircard in their laptops as opposed to using ther berry to teather.

Besides the added 60/month with an aircard what are the pros and cons of each.

I am thinking of adding an aircard and my only reason for not teathering is that I need to use the phone to talk while I'm connected on my laptop. In addition I may want to leave my laptop without unplugging my berry.

Thinking of purchasing a used express V740 card so I do not have to sign a contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 10:49 PM
    I am wanting to hear from Verizon customers who currently use an aircard in their laptops as opposed to using ther berry to teather.

Besides the added 60/month with an aircard what are the pros and cons of each.

I am thinking of adding an aircard and my only reason for not teathering is that I need to use the phone to talk while I'm connected on my laptop. In addition I may want to leave my laptop without unplugging my berry.

Thinking of purchasing a used express V740 card so I do not have to sign a contract.

Right now, the speeds for tethered devices are not as fast as the aircards. Except for the Storm and the LG Dare since they are both rev A capable.

Also, tethering doesn't require a contract. It can be added or removed from account at any time. If you purchase a new aircard from VZW, then there is a one or 2 year contract...unless you pay full retail or buy a used one like you are doing. With contracts come early termination fees if you want out of the contract early.

Also, if you already have a blackberry, then the tethering feature is only $15 or $30 per month. An aircard is $59.99....plus you still have you phone/data pkg fees.
    11-24-08 11:15 PM
    I have a verizon card in my work laptop and it works great! The signal is strong and webpages typically load as fast as my wifi signal at home. I would def recommend it.
    11-25-08 12:38 AM
    Even if you buy a used aircard, you will still have to sign a 1 year contract. You might as well just buy it from Verizon and pay the 1 year price.
    11-25-08 03:02 AM
    Even if you buy a used aircard, you will still have to sign a 1 year contract. You might as well just buy it from Verizon and pay the 1 year price.
    That's not true anymore. VZW introduced the month-to-month option recently. A new line can be activated with no contract if the customer provides their own equipment or pays full retail cost if they purchase their equipment from VZW.
    11-25-08 07:15 AM
    I love mine. I use the UM175 USB Modem. I switched from tethering my VZW Curve because I got tired of missing calls and e-mail during network activity. The USB is Rev A and in the real world I am connecting at almost twice the speed of my Rev 0 Curve. I know the specs aren't quite twice the speed, but in the real world they are. Now I can surf from my laptop and my Curve is freed up to receive push e-mail, IM's and voice which I require for my business. A missed call or e-mail can mean big bucks for me.

I've even used it in Extended Networks (National Access) out in the middle of nowhere where there are no Verizon towers, and although it's much slower, it's still Internet! It's interesting to note that I can get Internet access in places where my LG Dare would not have any data service whatsoever.

It's well worth the extra dinero to get the air card or USB modem IMO rather than tethering.

Note: I am very glad that I went with the USB modem instead of the pc card because there are times when there is a weak signal and I can use a USB hub with a 5 foot cable and can get the modem way up in the air for a stronger signal. Also, the UM175 (white) is better than the other USB modem (black) that VZW offers because it folds into an L shape while inserted and is much less likely to snap off.
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 11-25-08 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Because I had more to say, so what's it to 'ya?
    11-25-08 09:57 AM
    we have a in store demo of a um175 that I occassionally take with me when on the go. Its awesome, great speeds and even service in areas that you would not expect it. Great option for those on a the go
    11-25-08 10:27 AM
    My Dell laptop came with a Verizon wireless card built-in (which I haven't had occasion to use yet). It doesn't seem to be a highly advertised feature, but according the info on the Dell website, there is a pay-as-you-go option:

Only need to use BroadbandAccess Built-In a few days a month while traveling?
    Then take advantage of Day Pass from Verizon Wireless for $9.99 a day - no long-term commitments required.

Sign up directly from your laptop and get Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess service for 24 consecutive hours. You'll get a fast, secure wireless connection where and when you want. Connect to the Internet, email, and more without needing to find a Wi-Fi hotspot-all on America's most reliable wireless broadband network.
    11-25-08 03:18 PM
    I decided to try the tethering first. I can say that I am enjoying it. The speeds are comparable to WIFI for the normal browsing. I did a speed test on both and the BB speed was 1000 kbps and my WIFI was 5000 kbps. So there is a difference but you can not really notice it if you are just surfing.

The tethering allows phone calls & texts at the same time. If you decided to answer any one of these it will put your tethering on hold.... so you cant do both.

For the person like me who normally has WIFI but sometimes doesnt and just wants to surf etc, id say its a good idea.

Plus there is no contract!
    11-26-08 05:02 PM
    I just recently signed a new contract with Verizon and was told that my plan allows for an aircard I just had to buy the card.
    11-26-08 08:38 PM
    what ever you do stay with new technology go REV A its really good i watch hulu all the time in REV A. if your with VZW you can not tether and call on a phone at same time..
    11-26-08 10:45 PM
    Yes -- you can not tether and talk on phone at same time. However I initially thought while thethered you would miss all of your calls. You have the option to answer and suspend thethering or ignore call.

11-28-08 03:16 PM
    I have both an Verizon Air Card and an 8330. The Air Card is much faster than using a tethered BlackBerry. Depending on how often you will use the Air Card and the speed requirements you have, either way could be better for you.
    12-07-08 09:35 PM
    If it's any indication of their reliability, the PD I work for utilizes VZ Aircards for every laptop that every officer has in their cars (probably over 300 in the whole dept.) and every FD vehicle as well. They aren't perfect, but in my experience we have about a 98-99% uptime with them. The occasional network connectivity problem arises, but VZ is usually on top of it to get things working again.
    12-07-08 10:01 PM
    I'm with the tethered crowd, although I haven't used the storm to tether, other than test it to see if it works.

I'm a 1x a month tether guy, so it works for me when you need service. I will run outlook on the laptop, print my data to pdf, and email it to the companies I work for. I can stick in a sd card, and send them photos from the laptop too.

Yeah, I know I can take photos with the storm, that's on the next to learn agenda, along with geotagging them, so I can tell my customer I'm at xx.xxx.xxx lat. yy.yyy.yy long

I need to find an internet site, to tell the customer where to look, to see my location.
    12-08-08 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD