I just switched to Verizon and they told me that you can backup your address book online so if your phone takes a dump, you won't loose anything. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Trav
    06-23-08 01:33 PM
    This all depends on what your configuration is. I think that the person who spoke to you was confused with wireless sync feature for palms. You can back up you address book with desktop manager or on the BES. I know that there is third party apps that can do this. This issues has nothing to do with your carrier.
    06-23-08 01:57 PM
    Yes, it sounds like the rep you spoke with was referring to their Backup Assistant, which is a Get It Now feature. Those features are all disabled on VZW's Blackberry devices. You will need to sync your address book with your desktop manager or go through the BES site.
    06-23-08 02:05 PM
    Ditto on the ^^^ post, also it's a good idea to back up your Data on a regular basis.
    06-23-08 03:02 PM
    Welcome to the Crack!
    06-23-08 03:03 PM
    If you have a get it now phone and have a log in/password for their website, then yes you can do this for free. I do it for my wife and the 3 kids phone. I am on WAP and can't see what phone you have, however if you have a BB you will need to back it up on DM or sync it to outlook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 03:13 PM
    outlook sync is def. the easiest way to accomplish this.
    06-23-08 03:24 PM
    Even if the backup assistant worked for blackberries, there is no point because you can back up everything with DM and sync your contacts and everything else with Outlook.
    06-23-08 03:55 PM
    Yeah I agree w everyone else. You don't need the vzw backup just use dm as said in previous posts.
    06-24-08 12:50 AM
    Thank you guys... Looks like I will need to setup the Blackberry desktop manager on my laptop. I am on leave right now and my CD and sync cable is at my house 4 states away! Oh well though, I will get hot on it as soon as I get back.

Thank you for the help!

Trav
    07-08-08 04:45 PM
    great my i backed everything up on verizons back up and now it wont work ony my blackberry this weekend. is there anyway to transfer the contacts from my back up on vzw.com to another back up
    09-18-08 08:56 PM
    There is but it is a pain. You ned to cut and paste your Backup assitant info from the backup assitant website in to an excel document, make sure formatting is correct and save as a CSV file. To import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device
    Print this page

Environment
    • BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 Service Pack 1 and earlier
    • BlackBerry device

Procedure
    To import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device, complete the following steps:
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click Intellisync.
    3. In the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM.
    4. Select the Address Book check box, and then click Choose.
    5. Select ASCII Import/Export and click Export.
    6. Click Browse and type BlackBerry.csv for the file name. This will create the file BlackBerry.csv.
    7. Click Open. When prompted with the message This File does not exist, click Yes.
    8. In the Choose Application section, click OK, and then click OK on Configuration.
    9. Click Synchronize Now. This will create the CSV file with the field mapping required to add contacts.
    10. Add the contact to the CSV file, and then repeat step 4.
    11. Select ASCII Import/Export and click Import.
    12. Click Synchronize Now. This imports the contact from the CSV file to the BlackBerry device.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-18-08 at 09:26 PM.
    09-18-08 09:21 PM
    Can anyone simply host the CSV file with the appropriate field mapping? I do not have DM at work but can at least transfer my contact info into the CSV file. THanks!!!
    09-24-08 08:54 AM
    real question is though, I now have switched from outlook to entourage for work, use a mac, and frankly, mainly use gmail for everything i do. I would much rather figure out a way to have my contacts backed up to my computer through gmail...is this possible?
    12-29-09 01:14 AM
    real question is though, I now have switched from outlook to entourage for work, use a mac, and frankly, mainly use gmail for everything i do. I would much rather figure out a way to have my contacts backed up to my computer through gmail...is this possible?
    yes

download google sync at m.google.com

it's ota sync for contacts and calendar
    12-29-09 08:11 AM
    there is a free app in app world that allows you to back up yourcontacts online. You can view,add, and eddit your contact info from any computer with an internet connection. I cant remember the name, and ie keeps crashing here at work, so i cant post the link, but its there, just look for it!
    12-29-09 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD