01-14-11 02:17 PM
95 1234
tools
    1 yr contracts have the $50 credit and the 2 yr. contract have the $100 credit for upgrades to a new contract
    yup, my wife's new-every-two upgrade just dropped, and she gets a $100 credit towards a new device. unfortunately, all the recent verizon phones are not very appealing.
    rookie83#CB likes this.
    01-05-11 11:15 AM
    I started to quote some of the responses and was going to say something, but I tell you what, the slide posted is quite ambiguous.

And what is going away? Isn't it really just certain discounts? you can always "upgrade" to a new phone and keep it on the same contract...you'll just pay full retail without any promo pricing.

Also, in the slide it uses the words "activation/upgrade". You could read this many ways, including any upgrades after 1/16. Which, to me, could mean that if you have an "existing/open" NE2, if you don't use it, you will lose it....similar to the new "use it or lose it after 6 months" "program".

All I know, we'll need to just sit back and see what happens.

If you are like me and you upgrade generally every two years, this isn't that big a deal as any added costs you pay for your new phone, when you figuratively amortize it over the 2 years, it's not a big chunk of change.

And for those that upgrade every year.....Even though it is more of a hit to your pocket, I don't see it being the end of the world.
    01-05-11 12:57 PM
    I started to quote some of the responses and was going to say something, but I tell you what, the slide posted is quite ambiguous.

And what is going away? Isn't it really just certain discounts? you can always "upgrade" to a new phone and keep it on the same contract...you'll just pay full retail without any promo pricing.

Also, in the slide it uses the words "activation/upgrade". You could read this many ways, including any upgrades after 1/16. Which, to me, could mean that if you have an "existing/open" NE2, if you don't use it, you will lose it....similar to the new "use it or lose it after 6 months" "program".

All I know, we'll need to just sit back and see what happens.

If you are like me and you upgrade generally every two years, this isn't that big a deal as any added costs you pay for your new phone, when you figuratively amortize it over the 2 years, it's not a big chunk of change.

And for those that upgrade every year.....Even though it is more of a hit to your pocket, I don't see it being the end of the world.
    Well and probably at least 75% of customers (if not more) don't even realize that their primary line is able to upgrade every 12 months. I knew this, but I still never upgrade more than once every 2 years.

I know it may hurt some of the people here, but honestly the majority of people won't even see a difference. Also Verizon seems to put bigger discounts on phones if you upgrade from the website instead of in the store so for people that do most of their stuff online, this may actually end up being better as they may lower the prices online.

Like the above post says, we'll just have to wait and see, it's one slide and out of context it's hard to know exactly what it means.
    01-05-11 01:09 PM
    Yup.

And...even more, for me, I like my Bold so much that any of my own $ is likely to be saved for the Playbook. The only big upgrade for us will be my wife's dumb phone which I hope to upgrade for her to an iPhone (it's the right device for her).
    01-05-11 01:25 PM
    All the people who complain... Why dont you switch to a company who cares about loyalty?

Try Sprint..

1 year upgrades on the main account line, and you get the 2 year price.

Every year.
    01-05-11 03:17 PM
    Yup.
    The only big upgrade for us will be my wife's dumb phone which I hope to upgrade for her to an iPhone (it's the right device for her).
    I did the same with my wife, I knew it would be an easy phone to learn on and it sure was...
    01-05-11 03:48 PM
    cause sprint doesnt have the network that vzw does....
    rookie83#CB and jaydee5799 like this.
    01-05-11 03:51 PM
    cause sprint doesnt have the network that vzw does....
    Your right, the Sprint network is far superior.
    01-05-11 05:19 PM
    Let's not forget that Sprint's is vastly smaller.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this. People are overly willing to put money into cell phones and they want to do it often. With the rising costs of phones, they have to find a way to make that money. So design a program that says to consumers "you get a NEW PHONE every year. HOORAY" and the stupid consumer goes "yay, just what I wanted" and overlook the extra $100 per phone or so. Which they then get every year instead of every twoish.

AT&T has been on this kind of policy for years. Two year contracts must wait atleast 20 months and most people don't have any idea how to sign a one year contract (including me, until recently and thankfully because of this site). So this isn't exactly stepping on anyone's toes, it's just smart business.
    01-05-11 08:53 PM
    sorry, but i read it as they will still offer two-year contracts, but they will limit when you can upgrade if you sign a two year contract. makes sense to me - you sign a two year contract because you want a better phone for less money up front. verizon just wants to make sure they are getting their money's worth out of your contract by limiting when you can upgrade from that original contract.

i see nothing in that link that implies that verizon will not allow two year contracts after january 16th.
    I read the same thing at phonedog.com. I read nothing about Verizon eliminating two-year contracts. I don't think that it makes since that they make us wait 20 months for a new phone. That's just ridiculous. What if I don't want my blackberry anymore because it's outdated or half-broken. I have to spend around 600+ dollars on a new phone or get a used one on eBay.
    01-06-11 04:05 AM
    unfortunately, all the recent verizon phones are not very appealing.

You read my mind. Unless they come out w/a phone I want soon I'm prolly going to lose my final upgrade discount. Hopefully there will be some big (nice!) surprises come out at CES but I'm not holding my breath. Android makers don't seem to have much of an imagination when it comes to style. Most of their phones look a lot like one another, they don't seem real fond of adding a physical keyboard and are to big for my liking. Although from what I've learned here it's not likely I will see a Torch-Clone come to VZW and for the most part I've accepted that however there's still a little bit of die-hard hope in me.
    01-06-11 05:30 AM
    All the people who complain... Why dont you switch to a company who cares about loyalty? Try Sprint.. 1 year upgrades on the main account line, and you get the 2 year price. Every year.
    Because their service sucks. We did try sprint and had nothing but dropped/lost/bad connection calls. As much as I'd love to have a Torch, AT&T's service is lousy, too so we have to stick w/VZW.

What would be nice and I suppose not entirely impossible is that VZW will come up with a new discount program or something that will be at least as good as what they are taking away.
    01-06-11 05:36 AM
    I did the same with my wife, I knew it would be an easy phone to learn on and it sure was...
    I would love her to get a BB for us to be able to BBM each other (we don't have unlimited TXT on our plan), but we can always use other chat apps (yahoo for example).

I thought she might prefer a keyboard versus touch screen, but she already alluded to the fact that she is sort of used to touch screen from having a garmin (I know not the same). So I really think the iPhone will be perfect. Plus, my 13yo daughter has an iPod touch and can help support her during the day (after school), while I am still at work.
    01-06-11 07:04 AM
    I read the same thing at phonedog.com. I read nothing about Verizon eliminating two-year contracts. I don't think that it makes since that they make us wait 20 months for a new phone. That's just ridiculous. What if I don't want my blackberry anymore because it's outdated or half-broken. I have to spend around 600+ dollars on a new phone or get a used one on eBay.
    the simple answer, and one that almost everyone that is posting in this thread is missing, is this - if you dont want to wait 20 months to upgrade your phone, DON'T SIGN A TWO YEAR CONTRACT. good gravey.
    01-06-11 07:06 AM
    Because their service sucks. We did try sprint and had nothing but dropped/lost/bad connection calls. As much as I'd love to have a Torch, AT&T's service is lousy, too so we have to stick w/VZW.

What would be nice and I suppose not entirely impossible is that VZW will come up with a new discount program or something that will be at least as good as what they are taking away.
    Wrong.. Verizon Service Sucks.

The calls are not clear..

Sorry that your area is bunk, not a good representation for the rest of the country.
    01-06-11 10:01 AM
    Come on guys, no need to argue about Sprint vs Verizon. It depends on the person and the area on whether service is adequate. But both are the top 2 in call quality because of CDMA. In my opinion I like both carriers. VZW a little too expensive for me right now but I never had a problem with them when I had them and don't have one with Sprint. In my opinion, Sprint offers the best value compared to Verizon. Cheaper rates with services already included (Sprint GPS, TV, Night min @ 7PM free US roaming, etc) on a good network. And VZW, in my opinion is tops in network infrastructure and development. But at the end of the day to each it's own.
    01-06-11 10:12 AM
    If Sprint had good service in my area, I would definitely be on Sprint. I had Sprint when I switched over from being a Nextel customer for years. I dropped on average 10 calls a day. When the Sprint rep called me my device dropped the call and they waived my ETF. Same thing goes for Tmobile. If their coverage didn't suck by me I would have a line with them as well. VZW and AT&T are the best options in my area.

All the carriers are great it just depends where you live. Look at Metro PCS. They have small coverage but they are ranked the best in the US.
    01-06-11 10:16 AM
    You read my mind. Unless they come out w/a phone I want soon I'm prolly going to lose my final upgrade discount.
    You could always go to VZW on the 15th, pick a random phone, then 29 days later return it, saying you hate it, pick another, wait 29 days, etc. until VZW has a phone you like, right?

This plan change doesn't affect me (not the primary) but I feel for the people it does affect. I wish I could update my phone every year; it's not that I don't like my phone for that long, they just don't last. I've gone through 5 Tours in a year and a half (I'm still under warranty XD). If I could just get a phone from Verizon that would last me the 20 month period, I'd be perfectly happy having the same phone for 20 months.
    01-06-11 11:29 AM
    You could always go to VZW on the 15th, pick a random phone, then 29 days later return it, saying you hate it, pick another, wait 29 days, etc. until VZW has a phone you like, right?

This plan change doesn't affect me (not the primary) but I feel for the people it does affect. I wish I could update my phone every year; it's not that I don't like my phone for that long, they just don't last. I've gone through 5 Tours in a year and a half (I'm still under warranty XD). If I could just get a phone from Verizon that would last me the 20 month period, I'd be perfectly happy having the same phone for 20 months.
    you can only do this 1 time then you have to pay full retail for the phone i think
    01-06-11 11:37 AM
    you can only do this 1 time then you have to pay full retail for the phone i think
    Darn... Well, it at least buys you another 30 days to see if vzw comes up w/ something better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 11:40 AM
    30 days is not enough time to evaluate a smartphone.
    Unless your criteria for evaluating smartphones somehow depends on a timeline for use, two weeks should be more than enough time to evaluate a smartphone. Things like processing speed, browser capabilities, and how well e-mail push works are the most important factors for most people that own a smartphone. I myself usually know within 2 or 3 days if it's gonna work for me. If you do something else that takes more than 30 days, I'd say you're very likely in the minority.
    01-06-11 12:56 PM
    my take is that this policy will be applied to new or upgrade contracts.
    Correct. Existing contracts stay the same.

Not a big deal because you don't upgrade often? Some of us have annual upgrades and take VZW up on them. So yeah, it is a big deal.
    You can still get 1-year contracts, if getting a phone often is important. You can upgrade every 10 months on a one year contract. Works for me.

Verizon is dumb right now I Have 3 smart phones (2 storm1 and a 8530) and pay $269 a month. I want to upgrade both storm 1's but not until the storm 3 comes and only if its got QNX and is LTE. If this doesnt happen before Jan. 16 does this mean I'm screwed out of my $100 for the new every two? If not they can kiss my a** goodbuy!!!! I will buy some crappy non smart phones from a locall store that uses verizon cdma tech and save a bundle!!!!!!
    Existing contracts with NE2 keep their eligibility until they upgrade or after 6 months of eligibility. And I wouldn't hold your breathe for a great RIM phone anytime soon.

30 days is not enough time to evaluate a smartphone.
    Why not?

Keep telling yourself that.

You could always go to VZW on the 15th, pick a random phone, then 29 days later return it, saying you hate it, pick another, wait 29 days, etc. until VZW has a phone you like, right? .
    Wrong.
    01-06-11 01:58 PM
    I can only speak for me and I don't mind the change. I don't find myself wanting to upgrade every year. I will enjoy the phone as much as possible and upgrade when possible. If you like upgrading every year, SIGN A 1 YEAR CONTRACT...
    01-06-11 07:03 PM
    A one year contract is nice in the sense that you always have a new device as long *** the price difference between that and the two year price is too different...
    01-11-11 08:51 PM
    There shouldn't be contracts. But that's my two cents. I'll be out of mine in two years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 12:31 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD