01-14-11 03:17 PM
95 1234
tools
    Yeah I agree. The more and more a person does this, the bigger whole they are in (money wise) and don't even know it or they don't know what they are doing. But like I said, paying out a few hundred bucks every few months isn't a lot for many people who love upgrading their gadgets. It doesn't seem like much over a period of time. But if put down on paper it's a pretty penny to stay up. The example below is what the potential out of pocket costs are for someone who initially bought a phone on contract for 200 and upgraded 3 times by selling it and using the funds to purchase a new phone every 3 months.

-200 Amt paid initially
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

200 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-300 Amount out of pocket for new device
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

100 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-400 Amount out of pocket for new device
    400 Amt sold in 3 mos

0 Profit to towards new device
    -500 Price of new device

-500 Total spent to upgrade twice in 9 mos

So at the end of the day this person actually spent 500 bucks to get the newest phone every 3 months over a 9 month period. For many that's nothing because that what they choose to spend their money on. I am like that. iPhone is probably the only device that is an exception because a person could buy an iPhone for 200, unlock it and sell it for several times the price. I did that this summer. Got one for 200. Unlocked it and sold it for a little over 700. But for most devices, the customers stands to take a monetary loss and the more a person does it, the more money it's costing overall. Like I said, people that love gadgets, the cost is irrelevant as long as they get what they want and they feel they are paying a good price.
    Agreed 100%. People who consider themselves cursed with technophilia have no issue of dropping money on the latest and greatest. Sure it pains the wallet but you have to pay to play. I was considering dropping my Vibrant for a Nexus S, but i'd rather wait another month or so and grab a dual core device coming out.

I've probably spent over 1500 the past two years on phones, but some have a much higher resale value than some Android devices now. My iPhones and Bold 9000 fetched 350+ every time, my Vibrant is worth roughly 250 right now which sucks, but Android is killiing resale values due to being so prolific.
    01-04-11 04:43 PM
    Android is killiing resale values due to being so prolific.
    Agreed. I've always made out on top with the iPhone. But with Android it's much harder because of the number of devices that are out and the number getting ready to come out. That's kinda why I'm glad I'm on Sprint now, can't just buy an unlocked phone and pop a SIM card in like I used to causing me to waste money.
    01-04-11 04:53 PM
    Where does it say they are abandoning 2 year contracts? All I see if they are modifying their upgrade terms and are going to make people wait long to do so. Nothing about 2 year contracts being gone. I'm not sure if the OP read it. I'm also not sure why they went on a rant about how poor they feel. Ok anyway.....

I guess Verizon may be feeling like they aren't recouping all the costs of the subsidized device when they let you upgrade early. Who knows. I always thought they carrier would love for you to upgrade every year to keep you in a long contract and with the new ETF fees they rolled out with, leaves them at a point where it's a win-win. Either they keep you for the duration of the contract or you pay a massive ETF fee for a smartphone. Anyhow this is what the customers have to live with to be on the nation's largest carrier, I guess. I left them because of all their nickel and dime tactics and upgrade rules. Great carrier in general but not worth the hassle for me.

Chances are they are not recouping the costs, with so many new Androids coming out I am sure those techies are upgrading as quickly as they can, and with the competition in the Android Market Verizon is having to heavily discount and has a lot of BoGo and Early upgrade promotions going on, I assure you they are not buying these devices for anything less than $400 each from the manufacturers, then giving away 2 of them for $199, they are
    they are out $600, what is the average Contract worth? $60 so they are making $120/month for 12months being $1440 - $600 they are coming out with 2 contracts at 12 months only having made $840 I'll assume Verizon is more efficient than the average company, but to maintain a contract with Billing and receiving it is costing them most likely $10 month in processing, and another $6/year in mailing bills, quickly you see the profit per contract going out the window, then they upgrade again after 1 year sure now they are only giving up $200 per phone and not being out nearly as much, but those early upgrades after a year can kill them, then NE2 again sucks them dry, they also don't get to keep phones as long because of the speed of upgrades so the cost of marketing and merchandising per device is constantly going up,

sorry doing budgets right now my mind is all in this world
    Daniel Ratcliffe and howarmat like this.
    01-04-11 05:57 PM
    this could be in preparation for the iPhone coming. I just read in Bloomberg Businessweek that they have an "Apple Insider" that hinted at a Verizon iPhone coming around Valentines Day. That it would be announced after CES, and this is the reason behind AT&T latest push to get people on 2 year contracts with cheaper priced new iPhones.
    01-04-11 08:58 PM
    We've never had that in the UK, and it's not hard to understand why. In Canada, I believe there's a plethora os 36-month contracts. I'm tempted to go to my local o2 store and recommend they start making 192-month contracts (read: 8 years). Wonder how well that would go?
    01-04-11 09:03 PM
    Verizon is dumb right now I Have 3 smart phones (2 storm1 and a 8530) and pay $269 a month. I want to upgrade both storm 1's but not until the storm 3 comes and only if its got QNX and is LTE. If this doesnt happen before Jan. 16 does this mean I'm screwed out of my $100 for the new every two? If not they can kiss my a** goodbuy!!!! I will buy some crappy non smart phones from a locall store that uses verizon cdma tech and save a bundle!!!!!!
    01-04-11 10:59 PM
    The other problem is if you can only upgrade after 20 months and the phone you chose turns out to be a big peice of S**t you will have to pay full retail or buy off ebay/ craigslist for a possible bad phone unlless you have insurance and drop phone in toilet
    01-04-11 11:05 PM
    No. U have 30 days to return it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-11 11:08 PM
    No. U have 30 days to return it

30 days is not enough time to evaluate a smartphone.
    01-04-11 11:16 PM
    Seriously? Live with what you can afford. Look for bargains, strike when it suits you. The latest and greatest is put before you to create anxiety, sleight-of-hand to pick your pocket. Don't let 'em fool ya, once the gleam is off, they'll shove something else shiny, and it still won't be enough http://photocdn.sohu.com/20060111/Img227720335.mp3

Yeah who would need a NE2 or would want to upgrade early for a Style? For a Curve 3G?? For a Storm 2??

Yeah, Verizon VALUED their loyal, bigtime paying customers with the NE2 and/or early upgrades. I guess Verizon doesn't value us anymore.
    01-04-11 11:18 PM
    I don't think this is a big deal. If you have a current 2yr contract they have to honor it, and if you sign a new 2yr it just means that the primary line on the account now has to wait 20 months instead of 12. Currently on a 2yr contract the primary can upgrade after 12 months and the secondary after 20 months. So it just means the primary with have to wait an extra 8 months for the discount.
    01-04-11 11:21 PM
    I was talking about when You have a phone that dies just after the manf. warranty expires like at 13 months or so and now you are stuck paying full reatil to replace it until you reach 20 months that is nothing more then big red finding another way to scam the consumer out of more money. and if you sign a 2 yr. contract then they should honor it on there end to if the product doesnt last 2 yrs they should repllace it as an examplle my daughter went through 12 differnt LG phones in a 4 yr time period she is a heavy text user over 8000 a month so I got her a BB and it has made it 1 yr so far at least the bb are reliable.
    01-04-11 11:27 PM
    I was talking about when You have a phone that dies just after the manf. warranty expires like at 13 months or so and now you are stuck paying full reatil to replace it until you reach 20 months that is nothing more then big red finding another way to scam the consumer out of more money. and if you sign a 2 yr. contract then they should honor it on there end to if the product doesnt last 2 yrs they should repllace it as an examplle my daughter went through 12 differnt LG phones in a 4 yr time period she is a heavy text user over 8000 a month so I got her a BB and it has made it 1 yr so far at least the bb are reliable.
    IF they are going to honour and replace it if it must last in the 2 years,
    They by rights can dictate how you use your phone, and in what conditions,

basically they could say ANY physical damage from a scratch to a cracked screen is physical damage and voids any warranty,

you really don't want them getting to that. and making your monthly contract price based on the phone you chose as well as your usage.
    01-05-11 12:04 AM
    If this has to do with VZW trying to recoup losses on upgrades maybe instead of taking away discounts to existing customers they should instead consider not giving away phones such as the buy one get one free deals. It's a nice gimmick to draw in new customers but they may tick off enough existing customers with dropping these discounts that they're going to lose customers so this may be a lose-lose situation.

I wonder how long it will take the other cell providers to follow VZW on this?

Anyone know if this would fall under the company's change of contract allowing people to get out of their contract w/o having to pay the ETF?
    rookie83#CB likes this.
    01-05-11 12:18 AM
    If this has to do with VZW trying to recoup losses on upgrades maybe instead of taking away discounts to existing customers they should instead consider not giving away phones such as the buy one get one free deals. It's a nice gimmick to draw in new customers but they may tick off enough existing customers with dropping these discounts that they're going to lose customers so this may be a lose-lose situation.

I wonder how long it will take the other cell providers to follow VZW on this?

Anyone know if this would fall under the company's change of contract allowing people to get out of their contract w/o having to pay the ETF?
    Current contracts are not being changed, this move is for contracts going forward. So no dice.
    01-05-11 12:30 AM
    According to this current contracts are affected:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/...n-upgrades.PNG
    01-05-11 12:49 AM
    this was the way is was stated on another site from a VZW insider

Early upgrade changes on your next renewal after January 16th. So if you sign a new 2 year contract January 15th., you can still upgrade after 12 months. After the 16th it goes up to 20 months for early upgrade.
    and this makes total sense too. Otherwise you are correct, people would be able to get out of there contract easily which wouldnt be what VZW wants at all.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-05-11 at 01:06 AM.
    01-05-11 01:01 AM
    NE2 is going away. Which means that you will not be able to upgrade in the early 13-20 months of your 24 month contract. You will now have to fulfill the full 24 months without exception.

Also I have seen that you will have to upgrade within a 6 month time period after the 24 months. If you don't, you WILL LOSE your upgrade availability. They ARE getting rid of 1 year contracts. Also it appears that they will be imposing a new $150-$300 fee on customers who bring in physically damaged phones for replacement.
    01-05-11 09:53 AM
    Yeah, this doesn't hurt me at all as I keep phones for at least the two years. And when I upgrade my wife from a dumb phone to an iPhone, the expectation is she will not change, unless the phone dies totally, which is not really changing anyway.

This "change" in policy hurts most the folks that like to reup every year.
    01-05-11 10:14 AM
    It has always been this way across the island where I live. Only eligible for upgrades or re-contracts from 21st month onwards. There's no 30-day policy either. If you don't like the phone, just too bad. So count yourselves lucky!
    01-05-11 10:49 AM
    IF they are going to honour and replace it if it must last in the 2 years,
    They by rights can dictate how you use your phone, and in what conditions,

basically they could say ANY physical damage from a scratch to a cracked screen is physical damage and voids any warranty,

you really don't want them getting to that. and making your monthly contract price based on the phone you chose as well as your usage.
    my daughters phone they claimed got wet this was the LG chocolate but it never got wet they (verizon useless Tech dept.) then he tried to say that even sweat from carrying it in her waist band. When I started using tech terms well above his education level he just gave me a blank look and replaced her phone under warranty. Then as he was transfering her phone info another customer witha chocolate came in and that tech told her the same thing and to claim it on her insuranse. She left with out further argument. I have met several verizon techs with some geek knowledge but most are just trained in house what to tell customers and they do try and dictate how u you use the phones with pushed apps limiting how you use GPS like only for verizon navigator I live in free ameriaca if I buy a product I should be able to any app or feature as I see fit for my liking not what verizon wants me to pay extra for LOL
    01-05-11 10:50 AM
    this was the way is was stated on another site from a VZW insider

and this makes total sense too. Otherwise you are correct, people would be able to get out of there contract easily which wouldnt be what VZW wants at all.
    every verizon storm 1 user is currently not in a contract if they bought on nov. or dec. of release year that contract expired and we are now on a month to month basis until we buy a new phone and resign a new 2 yr. contract and the way I see it I will now be forced to buy someing (like a droid) to lock in a new every two prior to the 16th so I will still have a $100 discount to use when the Storm 4 comes out since the storm 3 will probally be released in the middle of my two year contract. LOL
    01-05-11 10:58 AM
    every verizon storm 1 user is currently not in a contract if they bought on nov. or dec. of release year that contract expired and we are now on a month to month basis until we buy a new phone and resign a new 2 yr. contract and the way I see it I will now be forced to buy someing (like a droid) to lock in a new every two prior to the 16th so I will still have a $100 discount to use when the Storm 4 comes out since the storm 3 will probally be released in the middle of my two year contract. LOL
    It would only be a $50 dollar credit because that is what they moved to a year or so ago I believe. But anyways yeah that's what I would do if I were you to keep that credit.
    01-05-11 11:20 AM
    NE2 is going away. Which means that you will not be able to upgrade in the early 13-20 months of your 24 month contract. You will now have to fulfill the full 24 months without exception.

Also I have seen that you will have to upgrade within a 6 month time period after the 24 months. If you don't, you WILL LOSE your upgrade availability. They ARE getting rid of 1 year contracts. Also it appears that they will be imposing a new $150-$300 fee on customers who bring in physically damaged phones for replacement.
    where do you see any of this?

correct, if the $50 savings means that much to you, Jan 15th is the last day for this.

Now there is nothing saying they are not going to start a new program shortly to compensate for that. who knows
    01-05-11 11:53 AM
    1 yr contracts have the $50 credit and the 2 yr. contract have the $100 credit for upgrades to a new contract
    01-05-11 12:04 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD